Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Post-game Roster Move(s)

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#81 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

I wonder if bringing up Guerrier is a set up for potentially DFA Burton? Give Guerrier a couple appearances to show that he is back and then DFA Burton for an outfielder. Not to defend the front office/Gardy which clearly have had issues with roster management but I wonder if they know something that we don't.

#82 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

They clearly know things we don't. Doesn't mean they are good or bad at their job. Doesn't mean every decision they make is good or bad. People get replaced all the time, because not everyone is good at their job.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#83 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

In regards to the 3 SS situation, even with the small sample size, it is a much better idea to keep Santana/Escobar rather than anyone and Florimon. Even if it requires the Twins to expose Florimon, they have to do something. Florimon is seriously in danger of falling below .100 for a batting average. No matter how good the glove is, no one can overcome that.

#84 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

The only reason I can thing of is that Guerrier is French for warrior, i.e. someone who battles, perhaps even at the expense of their derriere.

#85 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

The only reason I can thing of is that Guerrier is French for warrior, i.e. someone who battles, perhaps even at the expense of their derriere.

Priceless!

#86 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 1,699 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Actually, they needed to send down 2 with Guerrier getting the call- but Gardy is holding sway with management for maintaining his 13 pitcher stance. The frustration I saw from Gardy leaves me guessing that Arcia was also going to be announced, but since he was scratched tonight, he may have had a setback. And the front office is apparently unwilling to expose another player to waivers to call up Parmelee, which tells you where he stands with both Gardy and management, as I'm pretty certain he'd be up if Gardy really wanted him.

My assumption on "one" pitcher needing to go to AAA, is being replaced by a position player. Now that Guerrier is up, two pitchers need to go to AAA, but since Guerrier is a crap shoot and Deduno can only go 4 innings they have to keep a 13th pitcher.

You may be right that Gardy was frustrated as a result of Arcia aggravating his injury on the day he was supposed to be called up.

Good point on Parms, either he's too valuable to risk later or he isn't valuable enough to risk losing Burton or Florimon over. I'm better latter.... Sad...

#87 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let The Winning Continue!

• Members
  • 5,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

We lost a game tonight because we had a shortstop in left field.

And today we have a shortstop in Center Field. No matter how strange it gets with this team, it seems like there is always more.

#88 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let The Winning Continue!

• Members
  • 5,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

#89 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Toledo Mud Hens

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

This is pretty much where I'm at too, and I'm usually pretty patient as well. I feel pretty bad for Escobar, because if he makes that catch, we're in extras. He knows it too, I'm sure. But by being stuck in left field with no experience, he was set up to fail. Who knows how Guerrier fits into this team and how it will set the team up to fail in a future game?

Yes. Not fair to Twins fans, and just as importantly, not fair to Escobar.

#90 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

I don't complain much, but wow, this roster is a mess.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#91 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

Jeremy, there's been some pushback disputing an option remaining for Florimon. Have you double-checked your sources on his status in that regard? It seems like sending him down is the obvious move if that option is still an option.

Confirmed. Florimon has an option remaining.

The problem with all of this, though, is that there just aren't position players ready to contribute. Although having a somewhat able body beats having an unable body.

#92 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

The problem with all of this, though, is that there just aren't position players ready to contribute.

The problem with all of this is that the position player they currently have on the roster isn't ready to contribute, either.

#93 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Today, the Twins should have swapped Nunez for Florimon. Today the Twins should have DFAed someone and recalled Parmelee for Herrmann or a pitcher. Mauer needs to go to the DL

#94 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Today, the Twins should have swapped Nunez for Florimon. Today the Twins should have DFAed someone and recalled Parmelee for Herrmann or a pitcher. Mauer needs to go to the DL

Parmelee requires a 40 man move. Too early to fall into that trap.

Arcia, on the other hand...

#95 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Confirmed. Florimon has an option remaining.

The problem with all of this, though, is that there just aren't position players ready to contribute. Although having a somewhat able body beats having an unable body.

Correct. The problem is that somehow this system has NO OF in AAA or AA that is a better OF than Escobar, Bartlett, or Hermann.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#96 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Parmelee requires a 40 man move. Too early to fall into that trap.

Arcia, on the other hand...

Guerrier also required a 40 man move, and the Twins didn't really need another reliever.

#97 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Guerrier also required a 40 man move, and the Twins didn't really need another reliever.

I agree. I don't like the Guerrier move either but that doesn't mean you double down on creating unnecessary roster crunch.

Calling up Arcia is the logical move in my opinion. At least the guy can hit.

#98 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Toledo Mud Hens

• Members
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

The radio guys just said Mauer has done some workouts. General soreness is the reason he is out of the lineup today.

#99 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Bilateral back weakness

#100 S.

S.

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Whats Lew Ford up to? He'd be an upgrade in the outfield and he's only in his late 30s.