Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

2014 All-Star Game Representative

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

So who do you think will be the Twins player to make the All-Star team this season? I would have to say either Glen Perkins or Brian Dozier as the teams representative.
Sorry Joe Mauer looks like you will have some much needed rest this July...

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

It should be Dozier... It probably wont' be however.

#3 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

So far - Perkins

#4 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Kurt Clutch.

#5 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Perkins. Gibson has a shot if we score him some runs and Dozier if he can get the average up. HRs and SBs aside, if he's hitting .230, he's not getting in. At this very moment, Kurt Suzuki deserves it too, but doubt that'll last another two months. If he has 60 RBIs at the end of June, that'd be a fantastic sign!

#6 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

Perkins. Gibson has a shot if we score him some runs and Dozier if he can get the average up. HRs and SBs aside, if he's hitting .230, he's not getting in. At this very moment, Kurt Suzuki deserves it too, but doubt that'll last another two months. If he has 60 RBIs at the end of June, that'd be a fantastic sign!

Take this to the bank, Mike Pelfrey. I think the three most likely are Perkins, Mauer, and Dozier in that order.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

If Mauer gets in, there are going to be some accusations of favortism for the home team. Mauer's exclusion from the Target Field All-Star game was pretty close to a certainty after his move to 1B. All-Star 1B have power and drive in runs.

I'm not saying Mauer won't get in, but if he does, it will feel a little tainted.

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Dozier if he can get the average up. HRs and SBs aside, if he's hitting .230, he's not getting in.

Dan Uggla has made it in recent years. If Dozier can maintain close to a 30-30 pace with a solid OBP, he will have a very good shot at a bench spot. (I admit he won't be voted in.)

Perkins is the safest bet right now.

I'd like to see Mauer come back and at least make it an interesting race -- with his customary high average and name recognition, he may not win the vote at 1B, but he could place well enough to get recognized for a bench spot too. (An aside: could we still have put him on the ballot as a catcher? A cheap thing to do, to the other catchers on the Twins and around the league, but hey, I'll bet Joe would be willing to catch a few innings of the all-star game if that's what it took to get him back on the roster!)

#9 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,982 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Voting fans are smart. Dozier leads 2nd basemen in fWAR, I think he has a decent shot.

Posted Image

#10 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Voting fans are not smart at all. Cano and Pedroia (and likely Kinsler) will crush Dozier based on reputation.

Dozier is on pace to get in during the player or manager selections though. It's hard to ignore how good he has been even though we can't expect him to remain this good. Still good but he's on pace for something like 8 WAR.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

Voting fans are not smart at all. Cano and Pedroia (and likely Kinsler) will crush Dozier based on reputation.

Yeah. Good luck for Dozier to beat Cano and Pedroia (and not based on reputation only...)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

Perkins and Dozier make the All Star Game (albeit, Dozier makes it after Cano or Pedroia get one of those odd, Mid July "ailments" that only pop up right before the ASG and have to bow out).

Bonus points: I think Plouffe makes the home run derby field. (Long shot, I know, but it'd be fun)

#13 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

Perkins should make the team, Dozier most likely will be selected as a reserve, and Mauer will not make the team but he is the "Ambassador" for All-Star Weekend, so he'll be around for the game whether he's on the team or not.
It would be neat if Suzuki was selected as a reserve as well, but I don't think that will happen.

#14 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,758 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

I think it will be Perkins, too.

But I also want to say that even though I'm not a great fan of his, I feel really bad that Joe Mauer won't have the opportunity to play in an ASG in front of his home crowd. Somehow ASG ambassador just isn't the same thing. (And yes, a lot of my bad feeling comes about because of "why" he won't have that opportunity -- still, it is just sad).

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

Obviously, no Twin will be voted in but I think Dozier will be our lone representative. I guess if the AL manager wants a deep bullpen, you could see Perkins going instead but I think Dozier will be the better story.

#16 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

I agree about Joe Mauer but it would be kind of sad if he doesn't make it since he's from Minnesota and he's the official All-Star representative!

#17 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Dozier is on pace to get in during the player or manager selections though. It's hard to ignore how good he has been even though we can't expect him to remain this good. Still good but he's on pace for something like 8 WAR.

Dozier, by the above take.

But, fans don't vote smart so, Mauer will be voted in and it will be a "tainted" in.

#18 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Mauer will never be an all star as a 1st baseman.

Dozier is unknown to 90% of voters.

There will be no Twin voted.

Perkins is the safe and logical choice to be named.

#19 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

Dozier, by the above take.

But, fans don't vote smart so, Mauer will be voted in and it will be a "tainted" in.

Mauer is on the ballot as a 1Bman up against Pujols, Fielder, MCab, Davis (injured) and Abreu. He doesn't stand a chance to be voted in.

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Obviously, no Twin will be voted in but I think Dozier will be our lone representative. I guess if the AL manager wants a deep bullpen, you could see Perkins going instead but I think Dozier will be the better story.

If Gardy was managing, he could take both Dozier and Mauer and use them as outfielders!

#21 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Really?? 20 posts and no one thinks about Hughes? His last 4 starts have been elite. My first thought when seeing this thread was...what do you mean only one? Perk, Dozier, Hughes could all make it.

#22 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'm going with Suzuki, Dozier, and Perkins though if Hughes has 11 or 12 wins at the break, he could make it but at this point he isn't quite there yet.

#23 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:46 AM

Perkins and Dozier are good candidates. Maybe Hughes if he continues pitching lights out. Joe Mauer, on the other hand, doesn't have a chance, unless he starts playing like the 1993 version of John Olerud.