Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

All Star Game Tickets

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

As I understand it, All Star game tickets are now available for some people, but the prices are anywhere from $400-$1,400 per seat.

I'm curious what people think. Is that a price that you would pay for an All Star game which may come to Minnesota about once every 30 years?

What about the secondary market? Could a person buy two tickets and find people to pay for the second ticket? How about would a person be able to get enough for that second ticket to pay for the first ticket? (or even, say, get $600 for a $400 ticket and get your cost for your ticket reduced in half?)

What are you hearing about the All Star game costs, ticket prices, etc?

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I don't get how it is worth that at all. But then, I don't get all star games in general.....
Lighten up Francis....

#3 deanlambrecht

deanlambrecht

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'm willing to pay up to $500-600 for a ticket. It's not quite a once in a lifetime event, but close enough, particularly at my age. While it's usually not a great game, etc., etc., I think it's worth it to see the spectacle and all of the amazing players collected into a single spot.

It may just be sentimentality plus the fact that I can afford it, but I think it will be fun and I'm going to see if I can land a ticket or two. I might not be around the next time this happens, and it'll never be cheaper than when it's in my own hometown, I can ride my bike to/from the event, and sleep in my own bed at night. :D

#4 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'd much rather pay that for an OF seat in the HR derby.

#5 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

My seats are in section 105. Since I had to buy the whole strip I don't know how much the ASG alone is. I'm thinking ~$300-$400.
I bent my wookie...

#6 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

I can buy 6 tickets for the family for 6 Twins games for $400. ASG tickets aren't happening. We'll go see Trout when he comes in September instead.

#7 buffalo_pete

buffalo_pete

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

That's not even close to an amount of money I would be willing to pay. I might go to the futures game.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Seth is just trying to figure out a fair price for the Futures Game since I'm taking him to it. Of course, that all depends on the Canadian weather in the middle of July.

#9 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

I'm going, although my tickets are in the upper deck. I can't justify four figures per ticket, but I figure this is at least a once-in-a-generation kind of thing.

I'm also curious about the secondary market, since I had to buy an entire ticket strip. If I can piece them out and offset much of the cost, I'd call it a win. The main event is really the attraction for me.

#10 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

I took a glance at stub hub and some single tickets for standing room only are north of $500. "cheapest" tickets for the SRO are about $330.
Home Run Derby tickets were starting at $175 or so, but it looks like there some halfway decent options for the futures game.
Ticket King has roughly the same with cheapest tickets ~ $500.

Hey, will they do that same promo for ASG tix as they do for the regular season?

Edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me, 07 May 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I took a glance at stub hub and some single tickets for standing room only are north of $500. "cheapest" tickets for the SRO are about $330.
Home Run Derby tickets were starting at $175 or so, but it looks like there some halfway decent options for the futures game.
Ticket King has roughly the same with cheapest tickets ~ $500.

Hey, will they do that same promo for ASG tix as they do for the regular season?

I just tried the Ticket King promo code and it still worked for the ASG. 10% of those prices could be a hefty discount! But still not cheap.

#12 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I just checked my old ticket stub. On July 13th, 1965, I paid $2.00 for standing room only. The ticket was 1.91 and Fed tax .09.

I wouldn't be tempted at today's prices.

#13 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

2 other friends and I bought the 20 game package for 2 seasons (or 3) 10 years ago when Detroit hosted the all-star game. One of the perks was that we were guaranteed the option to buy all-star game tickets. I think the whole package was $250 then.

Are those prices worth it? That depends on your financial situation and what your priorities are because that is a lot of money. I checked the stubhub prices and was quite tempted since we could have sold the whole package for 3x or 4x what we paid but my friends wouldn't even consider it.

How to price the tickets for a friend? Use stubhub to get a ballpark price for that event and location and then give a fair discount off of that. The futures game was sparsely attended when I went and has by far the lowest resale value. The home run derby was awesome with Bobby Abreu going on an unlikely binge against the Tigers Pudge. The all-star game completely sucked (almost as expected). That definitely isn't worth the money unless you simply want to say that you went.

#14 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

If I was living in MN or planning to come home for the mid-summer classic, I'd have applied to be an ASG volunteer. It's not worth the big ticket prices for me to attend the game. The futures game has the most interest to me, and I'd be willing to pay about $100 for a seat.

#15 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

From the looks of it, you can probably get a pretty good seat for the futures game for $100 (or less). I might decide to do that, actually.

I am tempted by the hype and the cache of the All-Star Game, but I can't justify spending hundreds of bucks. I'd rather spend that money on a plane ticket somewhere.

#16 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

I also bought ticket strips although I have not received my tickets yet, it will be interesting to see how much they are charging for individual events. I am also volunteering so plan on spending a lot of time at fan fest too! Looks like they have a lot of great events lined up so far, looking forward to the announcement of the Saturday night concert.

#17 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Let's see, I was 10 for the first All-Star game here, 30 for the second, 58 for the 3rd, which means I'll be pushing 90 for the next one. I think I'd still rather watch it on TV than sit in the boonies for $500. It would be a better view.