Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Kernels Report: Aaron Slegers is Standing Tall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...s-Standing-Tall

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Despite last year's draft being such a reported down year, it really seems like the Twins scouts and staff put together a really fine draft. While the careers of these draftees is very, very early, the returns last season and so far this season have been very inticing.

Slegers is a kid I had my eye on before the draft and was tickled to get. And I was very surprised he lasted as long as he did as I think he is very projectable. I guess I didn't realize just how much time he missed early in his college career. Take what he did his final years and his frame and you have to be intrigued. Unless I am mistaken, reports this season have him adding a couple miles to his fastball already. Only 21, and concentrating on baseball full time now, with quality coaching, and you'd have to expect a little more physical maturation along with better, repeatable mechanics, all of which can add a few ticks.

Size and height does not necessarily equate to high hard fastballs in the upper 90's. We've all seen over time there that muscle twitch, delivery, athleticism, delivery, arm action, etc, etc all influence pure velocity. And while location, movement, and secondary pitches are ultimately what leas to success, a good fastball is very nice. He's already moved from high 80's and touching low 90's, to throwing consistently in the low 90's. Given a little more time, I could easily see him add a tick or two so that he is in the 92-93 range consistently. With his size, that probably plays more like 95.

Just a great, great group of young hurlers added last draft.

#3 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Enjoyed the article JC (you'll always be JC to me, no matter what "regular folks" call you in real life). Slegers looks like a solid young product. I'll have to keep my eye on the box scores to see how he progresses this season. What kind of prediction would you make concerning his promotion to A+ this season (date?)?

#4 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

Enjoyed the article JC (you'll always be JC to me, no matter what "regular folks" call you in real life). Slegers looks like a solid young product. I'll have to keep my eye on the box scores to see how he progresses this season. What kind of prediction would you make concerning his promotion to A+ this season (date?)?

I'll always be JC to a lot of people... no problem! :)

As for when Slegers could be promoted, June is probably the logical answer. That said, if something happened right now and Fort Myers needed a starting pitcher, he'd be the guy I would guess would get the call. He's had 2 dominant starts in a row. If he has a couple more like that, anything could happen.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

#5 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

Maybe this isnt the place but im curious if you have any insight to as why Montanez has been starting. His numbers are not great this year and last year. Id rather see Landa be a starter

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Maybe this isnt the place but im curious if you have any insight to as why Montanez has been starting. His numbers are not great this year and last year. Id rather see Landa be a starter

Montanez had a rough morning Tuesday, but he has been one of those guys who can move in and out of the rotation with some level of ease. I can't say for sure what the Twins thinking is, because I haven't asked Arteaga or Mauer, but when Randy Rosario went on the DL, I would guess they wanted a guy they could plug in to the rotation for 2-3 starts and then move back to the pen. I just don't think they'd have Landa relieve for a few weeks, start for a few weeks and then relieve again when Rosario is healthy.

I expect to see Rosario back in the rotation, in Montanez's spot, relatively soon. Although I suppose they could even let him work out of the pen for a week or so until he's stretched back out to start.

Landa has looked great, going 2-3 innings at a time. At this level, though, it's not at all uncommon for them to have guys start part of the season and work in the pen another stretch of the year to keep their innings in check. It wouldn't surprise me to see Landa in the rotation the second half of the season at some point, while someone currently in the rotation moves to a relief role.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Great read, thanks for doing the interview! I enjoyed the thought/line from your mom greatly. The insight into your thoughts on the FB speed was interesting.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

I'll always be JC to a lot of people... no problem! :)

As for when Slegers could be promoted, June is probably the logical answer. That said, if something happened right now and Fort Myers needed a starting pitcher, he'd be the guy I would guess would get the call. He's had 2 dominant starts in a row. If he has a couple more like that, anything could happen.

Sounds weird, but I think his promotion to Ft. Myers will coincide with Jason Wheeler moving up to New Britain which could be any time really, though mid-June certainly seems most likely, pending injury.

#9 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

I hope the Indiana coach learned a lesson. You don't "punish" a player by forcing them to injure themselves.

#10 tharasix

tharasix

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Picking nits, but they call it Indiana University, not the University of Indiana.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

Nice results to see... He's doing what I'd expect a college pitcher to do to low A hitters. Hopefully, he's in FTM soon.