Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Ten Questions with Trevor May

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Fee

Christopher Fee

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...with-Trevor-May

#2 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Hey great interview. I really hope May can turn out, and it seems he can strike out hitters. I can't wait until the Twins give him a chance...

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,789 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

Literally that's the thing about pitchers, the good guys make the pitches when they have to more often than the guys that don't. That's literally it.

I've heard variations on this before, and except for maybe the shoo-in hall of famers it's probably pretty central; one player at a given level is essentially as good as another, but some of them are good more often. It ties in with that word "consistency".

A related comment, from Terry Ryan at the SABR convention a couple years ago, which I will paraphrase since I don't have a transcript: there are dozens of guys who could hit .400, if MLB played games only once a week.

I know that Alex Meyer and Kris Johnson and Logan Darnell and Scott Diamond all want to win too.

I don't know whether it is healthy or unhealthy that he can rattle off the names of the guys ahead of him in the pecking order like that - but there seems to be no artifice about him. :)

/ edit - I notice as I come back to this thread that I'm the only responder who didn't say "Great interview!", and I'm saying it now, because it was. Great interview!

Edited by ashburyjohn, 06 May 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#4 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Great interview, Chris.

The change in May's mentality is, I think, telling. I also think it's a healthy change and the results are encouraging, to this point.

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

Great interview! Thanks for taking the time.

#6 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Great interview. I have not been a fan of May before--but will be now--hope he gets his chance in Target Field.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

When Trevor May talked on the Talk to Contact podcast a couple of months ago about his mental approach and altering that, and essentially "clearing the element" it definitely got me more excited about his future. He's got the stuff, but that focus may be all it takes to take him from possible back-end of the rotation (or bullpen) option to legit mid-rotation starter.

#8 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

For the link to the Talk to Contact Episode featuring Trevor May click HERE! For a taste of Trevor May's alterego, DJ MAZZR, click HERE!

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

From the photo, it looks like his mustache is returning?
http://knuckleballsb...4/01/trevor.jpg

That's classic Blackjack Morris right there. If he keeps the 'stache, he's my new favorite player, without question.