Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Austin Malinowski

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 golfboy1

golfboy1

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

According to BA the Twins released Austin Malinowski. He's young, left handed & has had pretty decent stats in his two seasons. I'm curious with why he was released & the timing seems a little unusual also.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Yes, very strange. It wouldn't look to be performance related. He pitched very well for E-ton last year.

#3 twinsin17

twinsin17

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Either its a typo, his arm fell off or he quit baseball. Or something else. Agree, very strange.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

His twitter says it happened but nothing else so I imagine it must be a baseball related decision. Perhaps (probably likely) that his stuff isn't as nice as his stat line.

https://twitter.com/...inowski24<br />

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hard to figure. Entering his age 21 year, 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, throws lefty, good stats in rookie-level ball. Something his coaches see, that says to them, "no hope of his ever being in a major league box score". None. No chance of growing into his body, no chance of learning from the coaching staff... just no hope. So final. I feel sorry for the kid, and for every kid for whom the axe comes so early for.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 05 May 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

According to BA the Twins released Austin Malinowski. He's young, left handed & has had pretty decent stats in his two seasons. I'm curious with why he was released & the timing seems a little unusual also.

He is a Minnesotan too. From Lino Lakes. They also released another LHRP Andre Martinez, 6 round pick in 2012. They both pitched in Etown last season, are in their age 21 season (which would had been above average age in Etown) and were in EST. Not sure what the scoop is, but they are caught in the numbers game. All of a sudden, the Twins have a fairly strong LHRP pipeline in the minors from AAA to A.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Even if the Twins feel strong in the LHP department, this is just an odd move. I can only speculate, but I'm wondering if there was some type of off field issue going on here. But I guess its also possible that Twins scouts, despite his numbers thus far, don't feel Malinowski has the stuff to ever sniff the big leagues.

I guess we'll see if he catches on with another team...