Article,Twins,Minor,League,Report,5/4,Ryan,Eades',Dominant,Day,You,view,page,http//twinsdailycoes-Dominant-Day

Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/4): Ryan Eades' Dominant Day

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:36 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...es-Dominant-Day

@ERolfPleiss

"A hotdog is a sandwich."

#2 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

Do Eades and Slegers have a chance to move up to FTM this years since they were college pitchers?

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,182 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

Brandon Peterson, the Minnesota native, has been promoted from Cedar Rapids to Ft. Myers.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

Alex Meyer had a rough outing, so maybe the book is out on his new changeup. He went just 4.2 innings, giving up four runs, five hits, three walks and five strike outs.

And that's why you don't call up a guy after two starts, a guy who is refining a brand-new pitch.

Meyer will get it sorted but he needs to do it in the minor leagues.

#5 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

I know I am the 'excuses' guy, but when reviewing Meyers' start, keep in mind that he was pitching with an 8 run lead in the 3rd and a 10 run lead in the 4th. Who knows… maybe he ONLY threw his changeup!

#6 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

I know I am the 'excuses' guy, but when reviewing Meyers' start, keep in mind that he was pitching with an 8 run lead in the 3rd and a 10 run lead in the 4th. Who knows… maybe he ONLY threw his changeup!

Jack Morris always got knocked for pitching to the scoreline. And he should be in the hall of fame.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Jack Morris always got knocked for pitching to the scoreline. And he should be in the hall of fame.

Except that Morris didn't pitch to the scoreboard. That is a myth that has been shot down multiple times.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a pitcher who pitches to the scoreboard, at least not enough to make a discernible dent in his career line.

#8 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

I give Eades credit for battling when he really didn't have his best stuff. He was working behind in the count a lot.

But the best Kernels pitcher of the day was Landa. Faced the minimum 9 batters in 3 innings (an infield single was erased by a DP) and Peoria had no answer for him. He's been on fire the last week or so out of the bullpen.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,182 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

And that's why you don't call up a guy after two starts, a guy who is refining a brand-new pitch.

Meyer will get it sorted but he needs to do it in the minor leagues.

Absolutely correct... Those two starts SHOULD get people excited about what Meyer can be, but there's still work to do to get him to what he can become!

#10 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

I don't know if pitching to the scoreboard is encouraged. But working on pitches is, and he might have been throwing it more than he normally would to refine the feel for it. Given all the publicity about it, hitters might have been sitting on it. Still, the fact that he didn't fare well suggests that the pitch needs more refinement, and, as Brock said, that should be done in AAA.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

[quote name='TRex']I know I am the 'excuses' guy, but when reviewing Meyers' start, keep in mind that he was pitching with an 8 run lead in the 3rd and a 10 run lead in the 4th. Who knows… maybe he ONLY threw his changeup![/QUOTE]

[quote name='cmathewson']I don't know if pitching to the scoreboard is encouraged. But working on pitches is, and he might have been throwing it more than he normally would to refine the feel for it. Given all the publicity about it, hitters might have been sitting on it. Still, the fact that he didn't fare well suggests that the pitch needs more refinement, and, as Brock said, that should be done in AAA.[/QUOTE]

Eric Rasmussen on Meyer's changeup:

[QUOTE]“We always talk about the changeup being like rabbits — they multiply,” Rasmussen said. “You throw 15 in a game, it seems like a lot more. It’s not like you have to throw it a lot. It sure seems to have a lot of effect. If you have the ability to throw three pitches over, hitters can’t eliminate something.”[/QUOTE]

I sure would like to see the PitchF/X on this outing......

#12 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Except that Morris didn't pitch to the scoreboard. That is a myth that has been shot down multiple times.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a pitcher who pitches to the scoreboard, at least not enough to make a discernible dent in his career line.

Right, I wasn't intending to say that he did it, I am just saying that he got knocked for it and look at the kind of pitcher that he was.

#13 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

I do recall there were times Frank Viola threw the change 10-12 times in a row. And of course it was pretty much Brad Radke's career pitch. Changeup, and changierup.

Meyer does not need to do that.
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#14 Twinsfan46

Twinsfan46

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

I was at the Meyer's start yesterday. He was very sharp for the first three innings, but seemed to lose touch in the 4th. The off speed stuff showed flashes of being dominant but was a bit inconsistent. His fastball sat 94-96 for the first three innings. He seemed to take a bit off in the 4th to regain a bit of control. He did touch 97 in the fifth though.

He also had to sit a long time in between innings as the Wings had long scoring rallies in the first and second.

One thing to know about yesterday was that it was around 55 with a 20-30 MPH wind blowing straight out all game. Everything was carrying a lot further than it first looked off the bat. I think that it would have been hard to stay loose yesterday.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

I was at the Meyer's start yesterday. He was very sharp for the first three innings, but seemed to lose touch in the 4th. The off speed stuff showed flashes of being dominant but was a bit inconsistent. His fastball sat 94-96 for the first three innings. He seemed to take a bit off in the 4th to regain a bit of control. He did touch 97 in the fifth though.

He also had to sit a long time in between innings as the Wings had long scoring rallies in the first and second.

One thing to know about yesterday was that it was around 55 with a 20-30 MPH wind blowing straight out all game. Everything was carrying a lot further than it first looked off the bat. I think that it would have been hard to stay loose yesterday.

Thanks Twinsfan46! Your eyewitness account is much appreciated and adds context to the dry stats. Would you say the wind was the deciding factor in the home run that Meyer surrendered?

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Do Eades and Slegers have a chance to move up to FTM this years since they were college pitchers?

To answer your question. Yes. I'd say a good one... Part of this is having guys like Gonsalves and Thorpe sitting in EST and certainly deserving a shot in CR. Part is that they are college guys and if they dominate at a level where they are expected to dominate, they'll move up. Both have done that well, and I'd imagine that if they continue through May, they will be in the first wave called up in June.

#17 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

Don't look now, but Levi Michael's batting line is almost as good as Jorge Polanco. Would we think differently of Michael if he had gone to Betsy out of college and played well instead of jumping all the way to Ft Myers?

#18 Twinsfan46

Twinsfan46

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Twinsfan46! Your eyewitness account is much appreciated and adds context to the dry stats. Would you say the wind was the deciding factor in the home run that Meyer surrendered?

That homerun was hit off the scoreboard in right, but it seemed to take off once it got into the jetstream. I think the ball may have had a chance without the wind but it wouldn't have been a no doubter. Arcia and Farris seemed to think that they had a chance and chased it back to wall. Based on their reaction I think it may have stayed in the yard on a calm day.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Don't look now, but Levi Michael's batting line is almost as good as Jorge Polanco. Would we think differently of Michael if he had gone to Betsy out of college and played well instead of jumping all the way to Ft Myers?

Isn't Polanco two years younger, at the same level? I'm not saying Michael can't be successful some day, but don't you think that is part of it?

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#20 chuchadoro

chuchadoro

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNordeast

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

Isn't Polanco two years younger, at the same level? I'm not saying Michael can't be successful some day, but don't you think that is part of it?

Levi is just getting comfortable, he barely has 1000 PA at A+.
He's a No Limit Dozier, I thought I told ya!

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

Levi is just getting comfortable, he barely has 1000 PA at A+.

I'm not sure what that means. Someone compared the two players, and I offered why some might like one more than the other.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#22 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I must be a contrarian because I wasn't pulling at the bit to get Meyer into the Twins rotation after his two dominant starts but now that he has a bit of a clunker I don't consider that to mean all that much either. I assume that Meyer's two great starts he had enough stuff and control to make them great starts in the majors as well. The idea that he needs to be consistent is somewhat valid but hardly the be all end all. If you told me he will have 2 dominant starts for every 3 games for the rest of his career I would say get him up now and enjoy it especially if you can have off days and still have a fair chance of winning. Pitchers have off days and that will probably not change no matter how much preparation he has in the minors. To illustrate, the names of the guys who had quality starts last year at a rate of approximately 2 out of every three games includes, Verlander, Fister, Felix Hernandex, Darvish, Cain, Lohse, and Lester. Top couple guys were at 80% but it dropped to 67% pretty quickly and there were a lot of past Cy Young types who were sitting around the 50% rate including Sabbathia, JIminez, Peavy, Harren and Lincecum. To illustrate further we are all kind of excited that Hughes had 3 quality starts in a row so that is obviously the exception around here.

#23 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Clearly Polanco is a better prospect but Michael is succeeding at a level that we haven't seen previously. I just think our perception might have been different if Michael had spent 2012 in Elizabethton and 2013 in Cedar Rapids.

#24 chuchadoro

chuchadoro

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNordeast

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure what that means. Someone compared the two players, and I offered why some might like one more than the other.

I was just piggybacking off your comment regarding Michael's age. It was a joke, not a retort.
He's a No Limit Dozier, I thought I told ya!

#25 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Seth,

Glad to hear about Peterson moving up...he's been nothing short of dominant. I was thinking he and Gilbert could be fast movers up the system this year.

Any official word on Aderlin Mejia on why he was moved down to A+?

He wasn't hitting for much power at AA, but .275 doesn't sound too bad.

#26 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

I was just piggybacking off your comment regarding Michael's age. It was a joke, not a retort.

Dang, my sarcasm detector is not working at all right now.....

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

Clearly Polanco is a better prospect but Michael is succeeding at a level that we haven't seen previously. I just think our perception might have been different if Michael had spent 2012 in Elizabethton and 2013 in Cedar Rapids.

that does make sense.

#28 gil4

gil4

Not Irrationally Optimistic Anymore (til next year)

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

And of course it was pretty much Brad Radke's career pitch. Changeup, and changierup.

Mine was close to that, except it was a meatball and a hanging curve. That's why I stopped pitching at age 15.

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,850 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

Dang, my sarcasm detector is not working at all right now.....

Like, we couldn't tell... :)

#30 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

Perhaps, but you can bet there would be plenty of criticism about the Twins not pushing him aggressively enough.

That said, wasn't Michael in the last draft class under the old rules where he essentially lost his entire first summer after he was drafted because players could hold out until pretty much the whole season was over?

The question for me is simply whether he would have transitioned easier simply by spending 2012 in Beloit. Of course, we'll never know.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~