Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Riffing on the Rotation

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Twins-Rotation

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Does Pino project as the next Swarzak? That's kind of the vibe I get from his career path and most likely role to contribute.

#3 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Antony talked to Provus before the game today. He insisted Pelfrey's velocity problem was mechanical, not physical.

I assume a drop like that has to be physical but, maybe Parker has spotted something?

#4 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

I am so much more optimistic this year than last. If Nolasco can start striking people out, we might be average.

#5 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

No expert but I imagine change in velocity can come from length of stride, cock of wrist, angle of arm, turn of shoulder and probably a dozen other things. I have mentioned it before but mechanics can cause my golf shots to vary greatly in length and when I am in the groove it is effortless, longer and more in control. Pelfrey appears to be on the flip side of that. I am guessing mechanical. I also think he should work it out in the minors. I like Pelfrey but it is gut check time.

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,456 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

Does Pino project as the next Swarzak?

By this you mean someone the Twins will keep trying/grooming as a MLB starter over the course of several seasons before giving up and at least getting some value out of him? :)

#7 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

I'm fairly pleased with Hughes myself. I always thought he could be a good value for the twins, especially playing at Target Field, and so far that seems to be true. I do think he's going to do something to finish off hitters a little more efficiently if he's going to take another step forward; he doesn't have missed bats right now and while the foul balls are fine, it does show a problem in finishing off a hitter. Maybe Bobby Cueller can teach him a change up? Regardless, the 3 year deal is looking like a good one right now.

I'm happy to see Deduno finally getting into the rotation. I wasn't a fan of the Pelfrey signing, especially since it was a multi-year deal. (In the economics of baseball, a 1 year deal will cause little damage) So far he's been beyond terrible. The DL seems to be a facing-saving maneuver for Pelfrey, who does seem like a good guy. But they just can't keep running him out there.

I'm really hoping that the rotation keeps on this run of quality starts so the team can get back to a reasonable bench as Arcia and Willingham get healthy. Now, if the team could only do something to fix Florimon, who has (amazingly) gotten worse at the plate...

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

By this you mean someone the Twins will keep trying/grooming as a MLB starter over the course of several seasons before giving up and at least getting some value out of him? :)

No the other way Swarzak has developed usefulness, :)

#9 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

When is Deduno scheduled to start?

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

When is Deduno scheduled to start?

According to the Twins site, tomorrow.

#11 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

I like Duduno if nothing else for the entertainment factor. He misses bats...but he may hit the mascot.

#12 twinsfan214

twinsfan214

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

I guess you weren't at the game on 4/9 where Hughes threw over 40 pitches in the most excruciating inning (the 1st) I've ever witnessed in person. Whatever, maybe I'm jaded but I've been burned so many times after getting my confidence in a pitcher up (see Pelfrey by the end of last season) that I would say the jury on Hughes is still most decidedly out.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

I guess you weren't at the game on 4/9 where Hughes threw over 40 pitches in the most excruciating inning (the 1st) I've ever witnessed in person. Whatever, maybe I'm jaded but I've been burned so many times after getting my confidence in a pitcher up (see Pelfrey by the end of last season) that I would say the jury on Hughes is still most decidedly out.

One bad inning offsets all the good innings he has pitched in the past five weeks?

The only ugly thing about Hughes' line right now is his ERA. He has been considerably better than his runs allowed thus far and his ERA has been plummeting as his luck normalizes.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'm going to play this song through Deduno's entire start tomorrow......and love it.

#15 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Antony talked to Provus before the game today. He insisted Pelfrey's velocity problem was mechanical, not physical.

I assume a drop like that has to be physical but, maybe Parker has spotted something?

We can look at the spray charts and movement (or lack thereof) and see that he's not finishing his pitches. He's kind of pushing the ball toward the plate. The question is, can he finish his pitches, or is a hidden injury preventing him from doing so.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#16 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

I am so much more optimistic this year than last. If Nolasco can start striking people out, we might be average.

I don't expect him to strike as many people out as he did in the NL. He's a junk ball pitcher. Pitchers can't hit junk.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#17 chuchadoro

chuchadoro

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNordeast

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

It can be a little frustrating to watch batters repeatedly fouling off 3-2 pitches as Hughes continuously pumps letter-high fastballs at them. Like they say, though, beggars can't be choosers.

#18 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

is a hidden injury preventing him from doing so.

This wouldn't be the first pitcher who came back too soon from TJ surgery and had a dead arm or injured his shoulder overcompensating.

#19 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'm hoping the Twins will be able to avoid those lengthy losing streaks with their current rotation.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,440 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

He (Deduno) was the team's best starter last season

How? W-L ratio and ERA?

fWAR: Pelfrey 2.1, Correia 1.7, Deduno 1.1
FIP: Pelfrey 3.99, Deduno 4.04
normalized WHIP (ie. WHIP * (.290/BABIP)): Correia 1.31, Pelfrey 1.33, Deduno 1.35
IP: Correia 185.3, Pelfrey 152.7, Deduno 108.
K/9: Pelfrey 5.95, Deduno 5.58
BB/9: Correia: 2.19, Pelfrey 3.12, Deduno 3.42

#21 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

One interesting thing about Hughes that surprises me - he has a very small L/R platoon split in his career. The absence of a quality change-up led me to suppose he got hit harder by lefties, but until just now I never looked at the numbers.

It will be interesting to see if he can keep his walks down. Right now he's 9th out of 108 qualified pitchers in walk rate.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pino as a long-reliever but there's a reason he's 30 years old, has been in 4 organizations, and never seen the Majors. He's just a AAAA guy on a hot streak.

#22 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

How? W-L ratio and ERA?

fWAR: Pelfrey 2.1, Correia 1.7, Deduno 1.1
FIP: Pelfrey 3.99, Deduno 4.04
normalized WHIP (ie. WHIP * (.290/BABIP)): Correia 1.31, Pelfrey 1.33, Deduno 1.35
IP: Correia 185.3, Pelfrey 152.7, Deduno 108.
K/9: Pelfrey 5.95, Deduno 5.58
BB/9: Correia: 2.19, Pelfrey 3.12, Deduno 3.42

So by using counting stats like innings pitched and WAR you're penalizing Deduno for not getting called up until late May. Makes sense.

Here's what opponents did against each of the three last year:

Correia: .297/.337/.462
Pelfrey: .300/.358/.431
Deduno: .259/.338/.375

#23 scottsilvi

scottsilvi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

So by using counting stats like innings pitched and WAR you're penalizing Deduno for not getting called up until late May. Makes sense.

Here's what opponents did against each of the three last year:

Correia: .297/.337/.462
Pelfrey: .300/.358/.431
Deduno: .259/.338/.375

^^^^ Winner

#24 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Deduno wasn't everything I wanted him to be in his first start, but he was ok.