Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Month - April

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...the-Month-April

#2 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

I like that Hermsen got moved to AA. This will be where he makes it or brakes it. It's really tough to ignore his "stuff", but also really tough to ignore his results. Something has to give, and AA often times is where this happens.

#3 skraft33

skraft33

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

You say you look at "walks and strikeouts in combination" (which is essentially k/bb) but numbers 1 and 2 on the list are the guys who have the worst k/bb of anyone on here. It's not that big a deal, its just that your rankings contradicted what you put in your criteria. You probably should've just said you're going to rank them by ERA and WHIP and left it at that.

#4 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Not interested in pitch to contact guys any more. Too many in the organization. Just another Slowey, or Blackburn.

#5 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Can't argue with #1 and #2 because of the ERA, but I definitely think that Cole Devries should be #3. Especially because you said "

I think that it’s important to look at walks and strikeouts in combination, and do so relative to innings pitched." Devries has an amazing K/BB of 3.83 and a K/9 of 9.76. Besides that move, I agree with the order. Shibuya's WHIP makes me cringe a little though.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

It's a subjective list... opinion based... and I'm completely fine with people ranking them themselves (as I mentioned). I think ERA, WHIP, K/9, BB/9, K/BB, BAA, and all kinds of things matter... I don't know how I would rank or prioritize them. I also hope that we'll have more people considered for this list next month.

#7 BD57

BD57

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

@ Seth ... Shouldn't performance at a higher level carry more weight than similar performance at a lower level? I like DeVries numbers, especially when he's 2 levels up from Wheeler & Hermsen (who definitely had a good April). Like peterb18, I've had my fill of the Twins apparent fascination with "pitch to contact" types. Not that there isn't a place for them on a pitching staff - there is - but to the extent it seems like they don't want and don't seek guys who miss bats. We've seen what happens to "pitch to contact" types the last few trips to the playoffs ... the guys you see in the post season make "better contact" & you get beat. ENOUGH!!!

#8 Sutter50

Sutter50

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Good start for BJ tonight 7IP 4H 1R 1BB 5K no decision

#9 iowa

iowa

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

For sure. Way to go Hermsen.

#10 iowa

iowa

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

if its not a big deal, then why did you say it. #1 and 2 produced the facts and numbers dont always show that. Maybe you should get out and watch them to see.