Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

The line-up is officially in a slump

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Or more likely, we're seeing what was feared in Spring Training. But it's time to change it up:

Vs Righties:

Fuld
Dozier
Mauer
Kubel
Plouffe
Arcia (when back)
Willingham (when back)/Colabello
Pinto/Suzuki
Escobar

Vs. Lefties:
Fuld
Dozier
Mauer
Plouffe
Willingham
Collabello
Pinto
Suzuki
Escobar

#2 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Why are you moving Dozier out of the lead-off spot in favor of Fuld? That doesn't make sense to me. It moves all of your better hitters down the lineup a spot, giving them less at bats. I like the idea of adding some platoons, but moving everyone back so Fuld can get more at bats seems, well, batty.

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Yes, they are slumping--specifically the previously surprising middle of the order. I was thinking that it might be time to move Mauer back to the #3 spot. Healthy and productive returns from Willingham and Arcia would be welcome. So far (super SSS), Fuld has looked capable as a stopgap in center and Escobar has been fine at SS. Let's give Escobar a couple weeks and hope for someone to take the reins in center.

#4 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Ideally, Fuld is a leadoff batter. However, he doesn't have the OBP or BA to be any good there. Escobar is a much better option at leadoff if he can continue to hit. But Dozier is the safe pick for right now.

#5 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

Leave Fuld near the bottom of the order where Hicks was hitting, Dozier is doing just fine in the leadoff.

Let's not add Arcia & Willingham to the lineup until they are actually back, otherwise you will only get 0-fers in those spots. There will be plenty of time to fit them back into the lineup when they return.

#6 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Why are you moving Dozier out of the lead-off spot in favor of Fuld? That doesn't make sense to me. It moves all of your better hitters down the lineup a spot, giving them less at bats. I like the idea of adding some platoons, but moving everyone back so Fuld can get more at bats seems, well, batty.

Having a guy hitting .220 leading off isn't ideal. And why have your #1 power hitter hitting 1st? I'd actually be OK moving him down even further, but I think either he or Mauer have to hit 2nd for lack of other options.

That said, the biggest problem right now is that Plouffe, Collabello and Kubel are all slumping at the same time which is making the middle of the order a black hole.

Edited by howeda7, 02 May 2014 - 09:27 PM.