Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Annoying ads

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

In the new updated site... please include a link to contact the sight administrators so we don't have to use a thread for this. Or make a sticky link in the forum. Someplace where it is quick and easy to report a problem.

#42 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

In the new updated site... please include a link to contact the sight administrators so we don't have to use a thread for this. Or make a sticky link in the forum. Someplace where it is quick and easy to report a problem.

The new site has a much more robust contact page. You'll be able to pick and choose which department receives a relevant email to ensure that your email isn't missed because it went to the wrong person.

#43 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

If it helps, I haven't seen the problem yet today!

#44 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

If it helps, I haven't seen the problem yet today!

I have, I am still getting 1 or two of those videos on 50% of my pages and all sorts of script errors.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#45 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

I don't like using AdBlocker...after all, only ad-based website revenue streams will be able to destroy satellite/cable tv once and for all, I hope. However, the autoplay ads got annoying to the point that I disabled plugins on TD a couple weeks back. For what it's worth, about 75% of ad space on the page is still utilized by legitimate ads, and the other 25% shows Chrome's puzzle piece symbol indicating that it's a video ad.

I guess I'm saying all of this because I wonder to what extent advertising servers require TD to host ads that require plugins (in this case they're all using Adobe flash player). If all the ads were just static images, I'd be a happy camper!

#46 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,278 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'd think the networks would want to be frugal about this. Video ads are bad for everyone, considering that most traffic for most places occurs during working hours :)

#47 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'd think the networks would want to be frugal about this. Video ads are bad for everyone, considering that most traffic for most places occurs during working hours :)

Yeah. I don't get it. It's like they WANT people to use ad blockers because they make their ads so invasive that it drives people insane.

#48 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

I have, I am still getting 1 or two of those videos on 50% of my pages and all sorts of script errors.

Yeah I spoke way too soon, it's oppressive again.

#49 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Yeah. I don't get it. It's like they WANT people to use ad blockers because they make their ads so invasive that it drives people insane.

This has always been my biggest problem with ads. They hit the point of obnoxious interference, I'll do whatever it takes to block them in their entirety, then make use of white-listing as an exception where I deem it worthy.

#50 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

They found their way to the new layout too!  Fiends....

#51 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

They found their way to the new layout too!  Fiends....

Until I can get an answer from a network, trying clearing your browser cache and history. There might be a past site you visited that is triggering the *really* annoying ads.

I know from personal experience that if you spend ungodly amounts of time on the http://polaris.com site, you'll just get Polaris ads all day long and they're all silent, thank the lord.

Plus, hey, Polaris is cool and stuff.

#52 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

.I get JC Penny and some annoying song and a long thing about a hair salon show or something.  Both things I can assure you have nothing to do with my browsing history.

Here's the embedded code if that helps:

<iframe width="500" height="315" frameborder="0" src="http://www.popsugar....=500&height=315" allowfullscreen class="psvn-embed"></iframe>

#53 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Until I can get an answer from a network, trying clearing your browser cache and history. There might be a past site you visited that is triggering the *really* annoying ads.

That didn't help.At all.The worst is the strip ad that seems to appear between the 1st and 2nd thread in a forum; or the 1st and 2nd post in a thread.

#54 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 11,252 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

I thought the problem with ads blasting us with sound was fixed, but just a moment ago I got one.A Champs sports products ad, with cannons blasting or some damn thing.Just about woke the neighbors, and I didn't have my speakers on that loud.

1. Champs_ad.jpg

(After posting this, I see I still don't have permission to view the image within the post.Is that still being investigated?)

Edited by ashburyjohn, 06 August 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flame thrower.

#55 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

No permissions here either.

#56 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

No permissions here either.

Should be fixed for everybody. That permission was oddly named and placed in a weird spot.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#57 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,880 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

I've reported that ad to the network. I started receiving them this morning.

• ashburyjohn likes this