Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Orioles, 5/2 @ 7:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to center field at 10-15 m.p.h. 20% PoP. Temperature near 55.

Orioles:
SP, Jimenez

Markakis RF
Machado 3B
Cruz LF
Jones CF
Wieters C
Hardy SS
Young DH
Pierce 1B
Schoop 2B

Twins:
SP, Nolasco

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Plouffe 3B
Colabello RF
Kubel LF
Pinto DH
Suzuki C
Fuld CF
Escobar SS

--------------------------

Riverbrian, Riverbrian ... wherefore art thou, Riverbrian?

Answer to come.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Juliet: Deny my Father and refuse my name or if thou wilt not, but be sworn my love... and I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Riverbrian: Umm... I not following what your saying... When did you start talking this way.

Juliet: Tis but thy name that is my enemy... Thou art myself... though not a Montegue.

Riverbrian: I'm gonna stop you right there... Again... I'm not following you... and I'm not drinking this stuff... A beer will be fine.

Things to think about:

1. The Orioles -- They are Chris Davis-less... That's a relief... But they are Machado-Full. The Orioles have the bats to do some damage... Pitching... is the question mark... Just like the Twins... This series could be full of 15 to 12 Games. Since I've made that claim... Watch... It'll be 2-1 nail biters all weekend long.

2. Ubaldo Jimenez -- Mr. Inconsistent is what I call him... That's mainly because I feel a little strange calling anyone Ubaldo. The guy hit the Rockies like a nuclear bomb. He was the finest young pitcher in baseball. He was so good at one point that the Cleveland Indians traded a bunch of young pitchers who were supposed to be good and never became good to get him. It all evened out because Ubaldo struggled and struggled hard with the Indians until last year. It turned out that the Indians and Rockies traded almost nothing to each other. Well he's got a new deal with Baltimore and he's back to struggling. Baltimore can have him... I'm no longer interested.

3. Ricky Nolasco -- There really isn't much to think about. His ERA is over 6 and that thing needs to come down. It needs to start coming down tonight.

4. Chris Colabello -- After coming out of the gates in full stride he's hit a pretty sharp stutter. When you see a guy cool off like he has... The natural thought is regression but... I don't think so... He's still hitting the ball pretty hard. I think he can get it going at a moments notice.

5. Temptation -- At my age... I don't worry about avoiding temptation anymore... It seems as I've aged... Temptation has been avoiding me.

Edited by Riverbrian, 02 May 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Looking forward to watching one of my favorite, and most exciting players in baseball this weekend, Manny Machado.

Tonights bench: Herrmann and Florimon. :o

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

I will miss tonight's game ... am going to a production of 'The Sound of Music.' I need a break. :)

#4 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

I may take a break too, as watching 3 losses in 2 days has taken it's toll. Hopefully Manny Machado is as rusty as he looked a week and a half ago when I watched him in Ft Myers.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,844 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I will miss tonight's game ... am going to a production of 'The Sound of Music.' I need a break. :)

Say Guten Tag to Max -- always my favorite cast member.

#6 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Sad comment on how the Twins have played this week (or I guess the last 1.5 days, which seemed like a week) when singing Nazis and rogue nuns are a needed break.

#7 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

At least you know how it ends.

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Looking forward to watching one of my favorite, and most exciting players in baseball this weekend, Manny Machado.

Tonights bench: Herrmann and Florimon. :o

Ugh, this feels like a "take a break, everyone" kind of night.

That said, I will probably be lurking anyway :)

Nolasco, go out there and give us 8 innings or don't come back. No one get hurt please. This is only 1 game out of 162 and no need to play every one like it's the NFC championship game. That;s a good way to burn out.

#9 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

I like Sound of Music...I hope they do "How do you Solve a Problem like Arcia".

#10 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

Sad comment on how the Twins have played this week (or I guess the last 1.5 days, which seemed like a week) when singing Nazis and rogue nuns are a needed break.

Heh ... this is quite the production and I have been looking forward to it for a few weeks. So I'm not going purposefully to give myself a break from the Twins, it will still be a break from the Twins. :)

#11 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

Heh ... this is quite the production and I have been looking forward to it for a few weeks. So I'm not going purposefully to give myself a break from the Twins, it will still be a break from the Twins. :)

Enjoy the show! I'm sure folk here will keep the thread warm (or whatever the internet equivalent for warm seat is) for ya, and if tonight's anything like last night, the game still may be going after the bows...

#12 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Oy Vey!!! The twins bench bats tonight combined arent hitting my weight.

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,927 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

5. Temptation -- At my age... I don't worry about avoiding temptation anymore... It seems as I've aged... Temptation has been avoiding me.

Ain't too proud to beg, that's my motto. (Talkin' 'bout my girl, of course.)

#14 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Oy Vey!!! The twins bench bats tonight combined arent hitting my weight.

Are you saying we have a weak bench or that you are over 500 pounds?

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Nolasco, go out there and give us 8 innings or don't come back.

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good night.

[SIZE=1]/ not with that remaining contract, of course - so just hoping for the best[/SIZE]

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Are you saying we have a weak bench or that you are over 500 pounds?

I'm gonna go with "both". :)

#17 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

[SIZE=1]/ not with that remaining contract, of course - so just hoping for the best[/SIZE]

Ha! Keeping with The Sound of Music theme of this thread.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

And good timing on the very night that the Twins say to Pelfrey and Hicks: "So long, farewell, auf widersehen, good night....."

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Dang it, beat me to it!

#20 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

No hockey game?

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#21 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

No hockey game?

I'll be checking the scores of BOTH games at intermission :)

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,296 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to center field at 10-15 m.p.h. 20% PoP. Temperature near 55.

Orioles:
SP, Jimenez

Markakis RF
Machado 3B
Cruz LF
Jones CF
Wieters C
Hardy SS
Young DH
Pierce 1B
Schoop 2B

Twins:
SP, Nolasco

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Plouffe 3B
Colabello RF
Kubel LF
Pinto DH
Suzuki C
Fuld CF
Escobar SS

--------------------------

Riverbrian, Riverbrian ... wherefore art thou, Riverbrian?

Answer to come.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Juliet: Deny my Father and refuse my name or if thou wilt not, but be sworn my love... and I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Riverbrian: Umm... I not following what your saying... When did you start talking this way.

Juliet: Tis but thy name that is my enemy... Thou art myself... though not a Montegue.

Riverbrian: I'm gonna stop you right there... Again... I'm not following you... and I'm not drinking this stuff... A beer will be fine.

Things to think about:

1. The Orioles -- They are Chris Davis-less... That's a relief... But they are Machado-Full. The Orioles have the bats to do some damage... Pitching... is the question mark... Just like the Twins... This series could be full of 15 to 12 Games. Since I've made that claim... Watch... It'll be 2-1 nail biters all weekend long.

2. Ubaldo Jimenez -- Mr. Inconsistent is what I call him... That's mainly because I feel a little strange calling anyone Ubaldo. The guy hit the Rockies like a nuclear bomb. He was the finest young pitcher in baseball. He was so good at one point that the Cleveland Indians traded a bunch of young pitchers who were supposed to be good and never became good to get him. It all evened out because Ubaldo struggled and struggled hard with the Indians until last year. It turned out that the Indians and Rockies traded almost nothing to each other. Well he's got a new deal with Baltimore and he's back to struggling. Baltimore can have him... I'm no longer interested.

3. Ricky Nolasco -- There really isn't much to think about. His ERA is over 6 and that thing needs to come down. It needs to start coming down tonight.

4. Chris Colabello -- After coming out of the gates in full stride he's hit a pretty sharp stutter. When you see a guy cool off like he has... The natural thought is regression but... I don't think so... He's still hitting the ball pretty hard. I think he can get it going at a moments notice.

I am very grateful for the effort that ChiTown and RB put into these setups. We are blessed to have these to read on game days.

#23 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,844 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

We're waiting on the "date report".

#24 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

Colabello's tough luck continues...hitting the ball hard, but can't buy a hit.

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

Colabello's tough luck continues...hitting the ball hard, but can't buy a hit.

It was due after he led baseball in babip for the first 3 weeks of the season.
Luck works both ways, and eventually manages to even itself out.

#26 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

For you trivia fans Twins are 1 for their last 13 w/RISP, and 8 out of their last 46.

Very 2013ish. Ugh.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

Ain't too proud to beg, that's my motto. (Talkin' 'bout my girl, of course.)

Nice Temptations tie in... Well done.

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

We're waiting on the "date report".

Yeah Glunn... Spill

#29 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Danny Santana is coming up!

#30 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Danny Santana is coming up!

So he must be thurst into the starting shortstop role then?

I don't know why he would come up only just to sit on the bench.