Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/1): Eight Games in the Org.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ames-in-the-Org

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

I gotta admit, I wish Stewart was dominating A ball just a bit more. And I say that realizing he has a sub 1.000 whip, 2.81 era and is about 3 years younger than the avg pitcher in the midwest league.

#3 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Nice outing by Trevor May.

I like that you gave credit to the opposing pitcher (Josh Smith) by name.

#4 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

I agree… somewhat! Strikeouts would be great, but isn't his performance about what you expect if they are trying to limit the use of his best pitch (the wipeout slider)? I think after his last (great) start, he said he only threw a 'couple' of sliders.

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

I gotta admit, I wish Stewart was dominating A ball just a bit more. And I say that realizing he has a sub 1.000 whip, 2.81 era and is about 3 years younger than the avg pitcher in the midwest league.

A lot of HS players don't even start in A- ball either.... between all of that and the fact that he's not really using his slider, I'd say not bad. He's still getting Ks, just not getting a K/9 rate around 9. I'd imagine as he works the slider in more that you'll see that climb a bit.

#6 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

A lot of HS players don't even start in A- ball either.... between all of that and the fact that he's not really using his slider, I'd say not bad. He's still getting Ks, just not getting a K/9 rate around 9. I'd imagine as he works the slider in more that you'll see that climb a bit.

I am very pleased, he graduated high school less than a year ago and was never 100% dedicated on baseball. I anticipate he will get gradually better over the next few years, so a 2.81 ERA is a good starting point.

His K numbers are not great at 6 per 9, but he is allowing only 4.9 hits per 9 with 2.1 BB per 9. Going back to last year, he has not allowed a HR in 45 IP.

#7 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

I rather Stewart's minor league numbers suffer by not throwing his best pitch to develop as a player.

#8 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I rather Stewart's minor league numbers suffer by not throwing his best pitch to develop as a player.

Exactly and this, I suspect, is what's going on. Throwing a bunch of sliders for out-pitches would make his Class A stats look better, but do little to prepare him to be a better MLB pitcher. Locating his fastball and other pitches better is more important than making sure his Ks per inning stats look good.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#9 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

No worries with Stewart either. He could go all Dylan Bundy and tell the coaches and FO to screw themselves and just strike everyone out and not develop the secondary stuff, but Stewart is working on his weaknesses and becoming a pitcher, not just a thrower.

Also, I have noticed areas where the younger guys like Stewart and Berrios are struggling is getting LH hitters out. Obviously, SSS, but Slegers and Eades have seen far more LH bats while in college are faring much better in their respective splits. Berrios is STRUGGLING against LH so far. Stewart not terribly, but there is a noticeable split.

#10 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Nice outing by Trevor May.

I like that you gave credit to the opposing pitcher (Josh Smith) by name.

Thanks. Trying to find my rhythm here on Twins Daily. Appreciate the feedback.

#11 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

Eric Pleiss is a handsome man, nearly as handsome as his identical Twin. Read more about him at www.baseballtwins.com