Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Month - April

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:39 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...the-Month-April

#2 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Pretty excited about all those guys. Hard to judge Slegers because he seems like he might be a level below where he should be but nice to see him dominating. Biggest concern would be Lee as he doesn't have the K numbers you would like to see. Seems a likely 5th starter unless things change. Also that jump from high A to AA seems to take extra talent or you get washed out. Nice ERA but I would say he has a lot of work to do.

Nice to see three quality starters in AAA. Lets hope some of the guys in AA figure things out soon as well. I was a big Darnell fan last year and am happy to see him doing even better this year. Future pitching is looking brighter for the Twins.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Nice list. Didn't even inlcude two of their best prospects......this organization should be able to turn some of this into RP and trades, I hope. Looking forward to Johnson pitching today, he's earned a shot.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#4 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Pretty excited about all those guys. Hard to judge Slegers because he seems like he might be a level below where he should be but nice to see him dominating. Biggest concern would be Lee as he doesn't have the K numbers you would like to see. Seems a likely 5th starter unless things change. Also that jump from high A to AA seems to take extra talent or you get washed out. Nice ERA but I would say he has a lot of work to do.

Nice to see three quality starters in AAA. Lets hope some of the guys in AA figure things out soon as well. I was a big Darnell fan last year and am happy to see him doing even better this year. Future pitching is looking brighter for the Twins.

Brett Lee is my AAP for the second year. I wouldn't worry about the Ks--he had good strikeout total last year in Cedar Rapids. He also had 5Ks last night. In two of the 5 April starts, Brett had a big lead to work with and seemed to be just trying to get ground outs (what he does best).

I agree with you that it is nice to have quality starters in AAA. Behind Brett and Slegers in the lower levels we also have Stewart, Gonsalves, and others. For once the Twins minors look healthy on the starting pitching front.

#5 Kavan

Kavan

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Heads up I think some of those stats are wrong. I.e. Kris Johnson BB's and Alex Meyers hits.

#6 Macneil4025

Macneil4025

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

If the Twins don't send Mike Pelfrey down to the minors this week and take a sneak peak at one of the pitchers listed above i quit as a Twins Fan!! I can't possibly imagine there would be another team that would take a flyer on him! Seems like a really nice dude, but a terrible pitcher!! TERRIBLE!!!

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

Pretty sure that being named the Starting Pitcher of the Month for April will be the second coolest bit of news that he gets TODAY...

:go:

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:11 AM

Pretty sure that being named the Starting Pitcher of the Month for April will be the second coolest bit of news that he gets TODAY...

:go:

#9 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

Naming Darnell over Meyer smells like contrarianism to me.
Darnell is an OK mid level prospect having a nice April. Meyer is dominating striking guys out at a high rate and keeping guys off base.

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

Naming Darnell over Meyer smells like contrarianism to me.
Darnell is an OK mid level prospect having a nice April. Meyer is dominating striking guys out at a high rate and keeping guys off base.

It was justifiable... Meyer had an extra start, which does affect the counting stats, but Darnell managed a better WHIP and ERA. While he doesn't have Meyer's ceiling, I think Darnell could end up being a pretty solid 3.