Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Gammons: Colabello takes the road less traveled to chase major league dream

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

http://www.gammonsda...r-league-dream/

Peter Gammons wrote an article on Chris Colabello and tied it into a little Robert Frost poem you may have heard about. Great story! Take a minute to read and discuss.

#2 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

It doesn't matter how many times I've read his story, I love following Colabello's tale each time it's told. This season has been full of players to root for, but Colabello easily tops the list for me. I hope he keeps it up!

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

http://www.gammonsda...r-league-dream/

Peter Gammons wrote an article on Chris Colabello and tied it into a little Robert Frost poem you may have heard about. Great story! Take a minute to read and discuss.

“I was a little angry (about not getting signed by the Sox), and maybe was living a sob story,” Colabello remembers. “You’re not alone,” Gedman told him. “Maybe I was naïve, but I believed him,” says Colabello. “He always used to tell me, ‘as long as you have a uniform, you have a chance,’ and I believed that. Rich is an incredible man. I completely understand why he is such a highly-valued instructor and teacher in the Red Sox organization. He cares so much for other people. He’s been through so much. He caught Roger Clemens (as well as Bruce Hurst, Tom Seaver and Oil Can Boyd) and played in the World Series. I just listened and learned.”

Hey! It wasn't the Twins who deserve the credit for believing in Colabello, it was former Red Sox Catcher and Scout, Rich Gedman and 2 other Red Sox scouts, as well! Shocking that Gammons might be so Red Sox-Centric. Maybe this is the start of yet another campaign by Peter Gammons to get the BoSox to make a trade offer for a MN Twins player?

Gammons is a great writer and highly intelligent, at least Colabello continues to shine in the interview process, even when queried by some of the best in the business. If there was something phony or cynical in his make-up, it certainly would have come out by now.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

It doesn't matter how many times I've read his story, I love following Colabello's tale each time it's told. This season has been full of players to root for, but Colabello easily tops the list for me. I hope he keeps it up!

No matter what happens to him in terms of success on the field, Cola is my guy. As I've shared before, I sent out the link to Parker's story to all the guys I've coached and played with, I'm doing the same with this article, as well.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,722 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

New little tidbits in almost every story about him and glimpses into what it means to truly want -- and work for -- something with everything that is in you.

Keep it going, CC.

#6 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

I can't get enough of Chris Colabello and his story.

#7 tharasix

tharasix

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

"We fly charters and stewardesses ask us if they can get us anything, like food."

That's got to be my favorite part. How grounded do you have to be to mention getting food on an airplane as a notable perk in an interview with Peter Gammons? He's the polar opposite of the egotistical athletes that come out of the draft assuming the world owes them everything. I can't put into words how much respect I have for the man.