Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

A Couple of First Basemen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Neither are "pure" first basemen, but the Twins' AA and AAA first basemen have been hitting the last couple of weeks. Kennys Vargas had a dreadful start, but now has raised his BA to .286, with an OPS of .788. I predicted early this year that Vargas would be getting DH at-bats with the Twins in September. He was impressive in Spring Training and has trimmed down, although he is still a large human being.

Meanwhile at Rochester, Chris Parmelee seems to have found his swing. He hit a walkoff solo homer today and now has a .330 BA and an OPS over .900. Parmelee looks to be a victim of the numbers game at his positions at this point. If he continues to rake, he might get another chance, but so far the corner outfielders and DH have been productive in Minnesota.

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Neither are "pure" first basemen, but the Twins' AA and AAA first basemen have been hitting the last couple of weeks. Kennys Vargas had a dreadful start, but now has raised his BA to .286, with an OPS of .788. I predicted early this year that Vargas would be getting DH at-bats with the Twins in September. He was impressive in Spring Training and has trimmed down, although he is still a large human being.

Meanwhile at Rochester, Chris Parmelee seems to have found his swing. He hit a walkoff solo homer today and now has a .330 BA and an OPS over .900. Parmelee looks to be a victim of the numbers game at his positions at this point. If he continues to rake, he might get another chance, but so far the corner outfielders and DH have been productive in Minnesota.

It was only a matter of time for Vargas. Historically, he's been a slow starter, batting only ~.740 OPS in April in his career. Maybe it's his warmer weather preference, but he's averaged over .900 OPS for the rest of a typical Vargas season, including a 1.053 OPS in May. And additionally, it would also be nice to see how well he can hit with someone better batting behind him and more runners on base in front of him, New Britain's lineup is currently very underwhelming. How good might he do with Buxton and Polanco batting in front of him and say, a hot-hitting Walker behind him? I would love to see Vargas up by September, but the decks will have to clear out a little and he needs to bang down the door to the major leagues to make it happen. Is it wrong to maintain Hope for the Next Big Papi?

At the time of his demotion, Antony said that all Parm had to do was show he could get his hitting stroke back and he'd get another chance. Is it just possible that Parmelee gets a shot with the Twins before Arcia? Arcia's K rate was alarming before he went down- perhaps an extended stint in Rochester is what he needs. And there is bound to be regression and an injury or two amongst the big lumber guys currently on the Twins roster. And a trade or two in the offing (Willingham?).

Edited by jokin, 27 April 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Parmelee not being claimed after being waived in ST might have been a very lucky stroke for the Twins. It is way too early to predict any sort of long term success for Parm at this point, but I believe he really surprised a lot of people with how well he adapted to the OF defensively, increasing his flexibility and long term options.

While never showing the big power that was expected of him in the minors, (wasn't he even compared to Morneau at one time?) he did show power and potential. After a couple rough early seasons, he showed hit ability. And just about every season he held an OB between 70-100 points higher than his Avg. I think his biggest problem the last year or two was consistency in his playing time. Either every day at AAA to grow, or every day at the ML level to see what he had to offer, and could he learn and grow.

I would absolutely love to see Vargas in the Twin Cities come September but don't see it happening. And that's not a knock on Vargas, who absolutely could use some more help in the lineup around him. Hopefully, he will soon. But with Mauer at 1B, Colobello as an alternate, Parm doing well to start the season, just not sure I see Vargas jumping to AAA AND a ML look in one season.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

I suspect Parm is going to have to keep this up for another month, but I'd hope he gets another shot (if he continues to hit well)... and I really want him playing every day when he does. I'm still not thrilled with how the Twins handled him. He has talent. That said, the fact that he's hitting again is a great thing. He's a decent enough defender where he can play a corner OF spot... if the bat plays, even better.