Roster,Moves?,There,evidence,Meyer,sufficiently,hyped/well,known,make,difference,This,looked,various,times,most,top,prospects,have,impact

Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Roster Moves?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

There is no evidence that Meyer is sufficiently hyped/well known to make a difference. This has been looked at various times and most top prospects have no impact on attendance.

Buxton and Sano are on an entirely different level than Meyer hype-wise, and I think would result in initial bumps, albeit with relatively rapid tapering.

Yes, Buxton and Sano are on an entirely different level hype-wise. Did anyone say different? I know I didn't. But when you have a bad starting corps and a 6'9" MLB Top 30 guy that can bring it at 99MPH and who likely will be tearing it up in Rochester and getting more Will Middlebrooks-quote type of hype, he's going to sell extra tickets if the consumer has the choice of attending a game with either Pelfrey, Correia or Meyer as the pitching options- I know I'm going if I am available to do so.

Oh, another piece of evidence why this supposition is correct from more recent times. Steven Strasburg drew nearly 41000 on a Tuesday night for his major league debut. The game before on Sunday afternoon, the Nats drew 27,200. The Wednesday evening following, the Nats drew 18,800.

Edited by jokin, 26 April 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#32 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Okay. Guys. I'm back.

We have 3 guys who are somewhat spendy and terrible right now:
Burton, Pelfrey, Correia

We have 2 guys who are optionable and perhaps have a future place on the team, but have been bad:
Hicks, Florimon

Now which one of them projects to fit into our future? Only one. Twins need to do what they are doing with Hicks right now in the majors, not AAA.

They need to send down Florimon yesterday and they need to cut bait with one of those 3 pitchers for Arcia when DL is over. We can't afford to keep three pitchers we messed up on, when there are better options. I'd be okay with cutting Burton and giving Correia and Pelfrey chances.

Anyone have the date we cut Marquis on a couple years ago? I'm pretty sure we won't be afraid to cut Burton or Correia, probably not Pelfrey though.

The Twins stuck with Marquis until May 28. I don't think they will wait this long to make a move or moves this time around.

#33 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

If Florimon is optioned, where does he play? Santana needs reps at AAA.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

If Florimon is optioned, where does he play?

St Paul, for all I care.

#35 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

If Florimon is optioned, where does he play? Santana needs reps at AAA.

Mejia just got demoted in favor of Pettersen. I don't think Florimon would have any trouble beating him out for time at SS in New Britain.

#36 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Oh, another piece of evidence why this supposition is correct from more recent times. Steven Strasburg drew nearly 41000 on a Tuesday night for his major league debut. The game before on Sunday afternoon, the Nats drew 27,200. The Wednesday evening following, the Nats drew 18,800.

Come on. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of hype. I live in the DC area - people who don't follow baseball at all knew about Strasburg before he debuted. He was more well known than almost the entire existing Nats team. Guys like him are obvious exceptions and Meyer has not gotten anything remotely like that level of attention.

Posters here are not representative of the average fan.

#37 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,605 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

I would like to see Meyer pitch deep into a couple more games before he gets promoted. IIRC, his last start was the first time where he even finished the 6th inning.

#38 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Come on. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of hype. I live in the DC area - people who don't follow baseball at all knew about Strasburg before he debuted. He was more well known than almost the entire existing Nats team. Guys like him are obvious exceptions and Meyer has not gotten anything remotely like that level of attention.

Posters here are not representative of the average fan.

Again, I never said that Meyer has the same hype as Strasburg. But you said that no players ever make a difference in attendance- no exceptions, not me. While I sincerely doubt that Meyer is capable of a Strasburg-like sellout, there are more than enough fans familiar with the trade for Span and the constant marketing that Meyer has received on FSN and through the local media that they are aware that they potentially have something special in Meyer.

Going from what appears to be the "new normal" range in attendance of 20,000-30,000 to say, 25,000-35,000, around a 20-25% increase, is entirely plausible. Are you saying that there aren't 5000-6000 willing ticket buyers curious enough, and familiar enough with Meyer's history, to see what we've got in our new potential Ace?

#39 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I would like to see Meyer pitch deep into a couple more games before he gets promoted. IIRC, his last start was the first time where he even finished the 6th inning.

And all based on early season, arm-protecting stretching out. I like that Gardy was backing his play in Spring Training. If there isn't an obvious spot open yet, why not put him in the pen to get his feet wet?

#40 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Again, I never said that Meyer has the same hype as Strasburg. But you said that no players ever make a difference in attendance- no exceptions, not me.

My exact quote (bold added):

"This has been looked at various times and most top prospects have no impact on attendance."

Another quote from this page:

"Buxton and Sano are on an entirely different level than Meyer hype-wise, and I think would result in initial bumps, albeit with relatively rapid tapering."

Please do not bother responding to my posts if you aren't even reading them.

#41 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,553 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

I think Correia's starting days are numbered. He has a lot of bullpen experience and that ERA of almost 8 is completely unacceptable.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the team make a move if his next start is a bad one.

But I have no idea who replaces him at this point. Lots of options, limited roster space.

Better be May...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#42 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

Better be May...

He wasn't very good last night. The Twins are going to want to see more consistency from Meyer and May, but I guess you never know.

#43 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

I have a hard time believing that their guy who they gave the home opener to as a gift for last year is suddenly going into the dog house this quickly.

I want to believe it, I really do.

#44 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

The Twins stuck with Marquis until May 28. I don't think they will wait this long to make a move or moves this time around.

Agreed. My point was really that the Twins won't be afraid to cut bait, even if it's a few million.

#45 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

I have a hard time believing that their guy who they gave the home opener to as a gift for last year is suddenly going into the dog house this quickly.

I want to believe it, I really do.

If you look at the last six months, the Twins have been pretty ruthless with their demotions, cuts, and waivers.

I don't think they hold any special place for the likes of Correia.

#46 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

If you look at the last six months, the Twins have been pretty ruthless with their demotions, cuts, and waivers.

I don't think they hold any special place for the likes of Correia.

I hope not, but they held a special enough place for him that they lined him up for the home opener.

As Bonnes said in his series preview, he's just the kind of guy that this leadership group falls irrationally in love with much to the chagrin of all of us.

#47 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,920 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

I hope not, but they held a special enough place for him that they lined him up for the home opener.

As Bonnes said in his series preview, he's just the kind of guy that this leadership group falls irrationally in love with much to the chagrin of all of us.

If the Twins were truly irrational, they'd already have extended Correia.

#48 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

It's possible but I think the Veteran Love Torch may have been passed to Pelfrey. Just a hunch.

#49 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

They'll keep Corriea in the rotation. He's had 2 quality starts and just missed a 3rd with 2 bad starts. He is at least pitching innings. That's more than Pelfry is doing and he can't find the plate. Pelfry is more likely to be demoted to the pen. But since his velo is down and he is more wild he may have an injury.... Deduno is definitely the one who should be reinstated to the rotation.

#50 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

The Twins are not signing Drew, and Bernier is not on the roster. Unless Nunez's arm falls off, he will be getting the call as soon as he's healthy.

Obviously the Twins haven't signed Drew. With the way Hughes is improving and Gibson is pitching if one more starter pitched like they want to be out there then signing Drew would be the best move we could do for this team. And Twins management should be held accountable for not signing someone like him when we have the available resources and such an obvious need.

Bernier isn't on the roster but is hitting in AAA and has a good defensive reputation. And I don't think it would be too hard to find someone to come off the roster for him to come up either.

#51 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

I'm hoping that 6 isn't true. If the Twins are really committed to winning this year as they've been indicating, it would be foolish to hold Meyer back until say, July- and that's probably what it's going to take for Correia to build up any value in trade.

The reason it makes sense to wait is now we have more options for pitching in case of injuries start popping up. Around July there is less season to need more options so it makes sense to bring up Meyer and trade Corriea thus burning a pitching option then.

#52 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

I think Correia's starting days are numbered. He has a lot of bullpen experience and that ERA of almost 8 is completely unacceptable.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the team make a move if his next start is a bad one.

But I have no idea who replaces him at this point. Lots of options, limited roster space.

I think he gets a few more chances, but I'd put money on Kris Johnson being the first one called up.

#53 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

I think he gets a few more chances, but I'd put money on Kris Johnson being the first one called up.

Given how early it is in the season, Johnson is probably the best bet.

#54 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

When it comes to any pitcher right now, SSS is a big thing, and there's this little problem with the fact that both Pelfrey and KC are under contract.

Neither Meyer nor May have exactly been unhittable in Rochester. They have both had good starts, and they've had bad starts, and while their numbers aren't bad, basing things like a promotion off of a good start or two is really not a good idea. In Meyer's case, he isn't on the 40 man right now, so I honestly think we need to drop him from consideration. Kris Johnson, Trevor May, Logan Darnell, and even Sam Deduno will all get a shot before Meyer, unless he suddenly becomes unhittable in Rochester. Right now, he isn't there. I fully expect him to be up in September or sometime next season, but I don't see it.