Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: The Hammer Has Landed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...mmer-Has-Landed

#2 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

He has just been a beast. It would have been awesome to see him hit for the cycle on the first game from paternity leave!

#3 jlovren

jlovren

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

I think he can avoid the slumps if he gets some form of protection from Morneau and Mauer. At least I hope.

#4 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Nice post Nick. So much negativity to start the season. It will be interesting to see if he can keep the average up while still hitting for power.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I know that I (and many others) said that the Twins got the best player in free agency (between Willingham, Cuddyer and Kubel) based on historical, but he's been beyond expectations. I mean, we all know he's going to end up hitting .260 and striking out a ton, but to this point, I have been incredibly impressed by his offensive game.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Yes. Very impressive and $3M a season less than what Cuddyer cost. At this point, there is no comparison. I am sure that Twins' scribes are missing Cudduyer because he was a talking head and always had a quote, and Willingham is more reserved, but so far all more than good :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Last sentence of the 3rd paragraph is the money quote: "making him an ideal fit between Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau." Happy he's finally slotted in there rather than batting 5th behind Morneau. It's nice to turn LH relievers back into the LOOGYs they should be, instead of having them rack up too many outs against the M&M boys.

#8 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Againts my norm, rather quickly I felt pretty strongly that The Hammer was a "mistake killer." I haven't changed my mind yet. He just crushes mistake pitches and he hasnt' missed many so far. As pointed out, naturally his average is going to fall to earth (I don't think the 0.395 BABIP is quite sustainable!). But I was surprised to see how much he walks (a little over league average throughout his career), so that helps get him on base when he doesn't get that mistake to send screaming against or over a wall. He reminds me of a mini-Thome a little...lower average (probably directly related to the big power swing), fair amount of walks with a good eye for strike zone, lots of strikeouts (again, that big power swing), and obvious strength when he hits one on the screws. All to slightly less extremes than Thome.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Great signing. Said it at the time, and still saying it. Great signing.