Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/23): Pitching Prowess

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...itching-Prowess

#2 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

I can't believe Meyer didn't get pitcher of the day. Holy Smokes! 99mph and 11k's! When do him and Pelfrey trade places?? Nice to Parmelee hitting like he wants the Twins to trade Kubel or Willingham.

#3 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Pelfrey was unimpressive again today.

And yet, the Twins bats pulled another one out today. Fun to watch.

#4 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Also...this GREAT quote from Red Sox's 3B Will Middlebrooks, who was making a rehab start against Rochester tonight...

"I asked a coach, 'Who'd he make mad? Why is he here? Are there five guys better than him in Minnesota," Middlebrooks told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

http://www.milb.com/...s_milb&sid=milb

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:39 AM

Also...this GREAT quote from Red Sox's 3B Will Middlebrooks, who was making a rehab start against Rochester tonight...

"I asked a coach, 'Who'd he make mad? Why is he here? Are there five guys better than him in Minnesota
," Middlebrooks told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

Excellent find, Twinsfan! What an awesomely great line by Middlebrooks! In addition to his 3 Ks on Middlebrooks, he also struck out just-demoted major leaguer, Ryan Roberts, twice. And the PawSox have other good prospects in their lineup, as well. Sorry, this was not the 3rd best performance in the Twins organization on Wednesday, this was the best, hands down- and we only need take Will Middlebrooks' word for it.

Next up?.....most assuredly will now come "The Great Debate" on Meyer's current lack of, and need for, more "Consistency" before he possibly can be considered for promotion to the Twins. It is ridiculous to hold Meyer back beyond the arb cutoff date.

#6 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

If there were 5 pitchers better than Meyer in Minnesota we'd be headed to the world series. What does a team like the twins do when they have a guy, for example like Pelfrey, struggling but has a two year contract? Put him in the pen? Yikes! Send him down and hope no one claims him? Trade him for nothing?

#7 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

"I asked a coach, 'Who'd he make mad? Why is he here? Are there five guys better than him in Minnesota," Middlebrooks told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

He must have forgot we have Pelfrey in our rotation. You know, the guy with the 7.32 ERA who has 3 fewer K's all year than Meyer had last night.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Miami found a way to promote their young, great pitchers, fast. Now, just a couple of years after being ridiculed for trading their vets and reloading, they are playing well. It would be great if the Twins got Meyer up here, and put Pelfrey in the pen.

#9 jwb1226

jwb1226

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

If there were 5 pitchers better than Meyer in Minnesota we'd be headed to the world series. What does a team like the twins do when they have a guy, for example like Pelfrey, struggling but has a two year contract? Put him in the pen? Yikes! Send him down and hope no one claims him? Trade him for nothing?

Don't we hope someone DOES claim him?

#10 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Don't we hope someone DOES claim him?

That would be ideal, but the market for him over two years for $11M will be non existent. They say anytime you sign a Boras client you are the sucker. I have to believe we were bidding against ourselves and we were the only two year deal on the table last offseason.

#11 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

Excellent find, Twinsfan! What an awesomely great line by Middlebrooks! In addition to his 3 Ks on Middlebrooks, he also struck out just-demoted major leaguer, Ryan Roberts, twice. And the PawSox have other good prospects in their lineup, as well. Sorry, this was not the 3rd best performance in the Twins organization on Wednesday, this was the best, hands down- and we only need take Will Middlebrooks' word for it.

Next up?.....most assuredly will now come "The Great Debate" on Meyer's current lack of, and need for, more "Consistency" before he possibly can be considered for promotion to the Twins. It is ridiculous to hold Meyer back beyond the arb cutoff date.

He has 8 BB in 20 IP, they will cite that until June and bring him up.

#12 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

It is going to be quite exciting once Meyer gets to the majors.

#13 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

I guess I'll be the one to urge a little restraint on Meyer. Though my concern has nothing to do with Super 2 or adding him to the 40 man roster.

Meyer was injured the majority of last season. I think he threw like 60 innings at AA. Yes, he sure appears to be 100% healthy, but he's an asset the Twins need to be careful with. I have no problem with him getting a couple months worth of AAA starts. Keep in mind, he couldn't complete the third inning in his start prior to last night's gem. That short, bad start prompted some questions about his health (which were answered in the negative).

So yes, I'm excited by Meyer. Yes, I don't want him to languish in AAA simply because the Twins have Pelf and Correia under contract. But is there anything wrong with wanting to see a few good (not necessarily great like last night) starts in a row before calling him up?
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#14 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

They say anytime you sign a Boras client you are the sucker. I have to believe we were bidding against ourselves and we were the only two year deal on the table last offseason.

If look at who signed 2 year deals -- Arroyo, Colon, Hudson, Kazmir -- and some of who signed 1 year deals for > ML min -- Haren, Johnson, Hammel, Chen, Floyd, Vogelsong, Volquez -- it's pretty easy to say he's the outlier in the first group and a much better fit in the second group.

I have to agree with your sentiment.

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

If he is on an innings limit.....you want those burned in AAA, or the majors?

#16 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

If indeed this new changeup grip is going to be effective, this kid has #1 starter written all over him. May seems to have found some control also, so this is getting pretty exciting.

#17 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

While I'm excited about Meyer as well, I don't have a problem letting him get a 10-12 AAA starts first. I think being smart about arbitration clocks is the right move most of the time and in this case he's not being wronged. It's not like he's been down there for 3 months just dominating, he only has 4 AAA starts to his name and about half a season at AA. Now if his May looks similar to his April then yes, it's probably time. Speaking of May, Trevor May's numbers are just as exciting through three starts. Over a K per inning and crazy low WHIP of .783. Considering May had a full year at AA it will be interesting if they both continue this well to see who gets the first call up when we have an injury or they decide a guy needs to be sent to the pen.

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

Meyer is likely on an innings limit.....you want 80% of his starts in AAA, or up here? I guess if all they care about is the future, and not this year, you can hold him down for another year of control.
Lighten up Francis....

#19 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Guess I would respond to Mr Middlebrooks by saying the Twins don't have 5 guys better than what Meyer was last night. They may have some better than he was in his prior start. I don't think he needs several outstanding starts to get called up, but I'm ok with waiting for a couple more pretty decent starts (or at least not another clunker next time out).

#20 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

While I'm excited about Meyer as well, I don't have a problem letting him get a 10-12 AAA starts first. I think being smart about arbitration clocks is the right move most of the time and in this case he's not being wronged. It's not like he's been down there for 3 months just dominating, he only has 4 AAA starts to his name and about half a season at AA. Now if his May looks similar to his April then yes, it's probably time. Speaking of May, Trevor May's numbers are just as exciting through three starts. Over a K per inning and crazy low WHIP of .783. Considering May had a full year at AA it will be interesting if they both continue this well to see who gets the first call up when we have an injury or they decide a guy needs to be sent to the pen.

Exciting problem to have a couple of guys at AAA that look deserving of callus but no open spots yet on the MLB roster. Of course Pelf has looked pretty bad so far but still to only have one guy at the MLB level that we're fed up with instead of 5 is a great improvement, HA

#21 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

Exciting problem to have a couple of guys at AAA that look deserving of callus but no open spots yet on the MLB roster. Of course Pelf has looked pretty bad so far but still to only have one guy at the MLB level that we're fed up with instead of 5 is a great improvement, HA

I think the move is to swap Deduno and Pelfrey now and bring up Meyer or May in June (after the arbitration deadline). The other should be up if someone gets hurt or is inneffective.

#22 Reginald Maudling's Shin

Reginald Maudling's Shin

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Meyer is likely on an innings limit.....you want 80% of his starts in AAA, or up here? I guess if all they care about is the future, and not this year, you can hold him down for another year of control.

If he's not ready, then AAA. The innings limit (if there is one) is irrelevant to the development of Meyer. You don't want him bouncing between MN and Rochester. You want him to stay up once he's called up. It sounds like most people here are of the same opinion.

#23 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

I can't believe Meyer didn't get pitcher of the day. Holy Smokes! 99mph and 11k's! When do him and Pelfrey trade places?? .

I am ok that 6 shutout innings with 5 strikeouts, 1 hit and 1 walk trumps 11 strikeouts, 3 walks and 4 hits. Doesn't take anything away from Meyer. I thought Pelfrey pitched pretty well last night. Kept the ball down with good movement. You give all these pitchers at least 6 starts to both see what their body of work is in that time and which way they are trending. I am pulling for Pelfrey but am not attached to him. If he doesn't have an official quality start in his next two and Meyer has two good ones then no problem switching them up or switching Deduno and Pelfrey and holding off on Meyer for another round of 6 starts. I am excited about Meyer. He and Colabello were my picks to click but these things have to play out. I am guessing Meyer and May will both get their chances before August if they continue to pitch well.

#24 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

I think the Twins will give Pelfrey more time, only because of the financial investment, but that doesn't mean the Twins shouldn't make room for May and Meyer soon. But not in the rotation, Deduno should have the next spot, IMO.

I would like to see Meyer and May called up, but sent to the bullpen. The Cardinals almost ALWAYS do this with its young talented arms: Wainwright, Lynn, Wacha, kid named Carlos Martinez (BA's no.31 prospect). This serves two purposes: 1) Save some innings on their arms and 2) Success in small amounts can give them confidence at getting MLB hitters out.
I LOVE how the Cardinals trusted Michael Wacha last year in October. He had been great in the minors, but made him earn a rotation spot by being too good to keep in the bullpen any longer. Unleash Meyer and May soon in the mid-innings.

#25 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

I think the move is to swap Deduno and Pelfrey now and bring up Meyer or May in June (after the arbitration deadline). The other should be up if someone gets hurt or is inneffective.

This makes sense. I still think as others have said they give Pelfrey a couple more starts to get it figured out. I'm just surprised by his awful K/BB ratio. So much worse than last year, I have to believe it's a SSS fluke and will work itself out hopefully. his 15 walks are almost as many as he had in any month last year. I'm hopeful he'll correct it. Worst case if they send him to the pen and he is capable a 5 million dollar reliever that's good isn't the end of the world. Just kind of sucks. Gotta wonder with hindsight being 20/20 if they would have not signed Pelfrey. Season is still young but it seems we have 2-3 better options right now for that spot.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

I am ok that 6 shutout innings with 5 strikeouts, 1 hit and 1 walk trumps 11 strikeouts, 3 walks and 4 hits. Doesn't take anything away from Meyer. I thought Pelfrey pitched pretty well last night. Kept the ball down with good movement. You give all these pitchers at least 6 starts to both see what their body of work is in that time and which way they are trending. I am pulling for Pelfrey but am not attached to him. If he doesn't have an official quality start in his next two and Meyer has two good ones then no problem switching them up or switching Deduno and Pelfrey and holding off on Meyer for another round of 6 starts. I am excited about Meyer. He and Colabello were my picks to click but these things have to play out. I am guessing Meyer and May will both get their chances before August if they continue to pitch well.

August? Really? I can't understand why it is somehow acceptable to hold back your potentially best options to improve your team- both in 2014, and going forward from this season. Baltimore didn't do it with their best pitchers, and they were trying to win. Miami didn't do it, and they had/have no hope of winning.

Once multi-million dollar arbitration considerations have been dealt with prudently, it's inexcusable not to heed Middlebrooks' admonitions with regards to Meyer. Even Gardy wondered aloud in Spring Training on how foolish it would be not to have some kind of role for Meyer with the Twins, starter or not, if he continued performing as well as he did in March.

I'm less certain on May, but this is the year to get these 2 established in their major league careers going forward. And I'm not impressed with the argument that says that they should only be called up when it's certain that they will stick. Bouncing back and forth between the 2 levels is the norm, not the exception- it's simply a part of the maturation process.

I guess I'll be the one to urge a little restraint on Meyer. Though my concern has nothing to do with Super 2 or adding him to the 40 man roster.

Meyer was injured the majority of last season. I think he threw like 60 innings at AA. Yes, he sure appears to be 100% healthy, but he's an asset the Twins need to be careful with. I have no problem with him getting a couple months worth of AAA starts. Keep in mind, he couldn't complete the third inning in his start prior to last night's gem. That short, bad start prompted some questions about his health (which were answered in the negative).

So yes, I'm excited by Meyer. Yes, I don't want him to languish in AAA simply because the Twins have Pelf and Correia under contract. But is there anything wrong with wanting to see a few good (not necessarily great like last night) starts in a row before calling him up?

Health-wise, there should always be caution. But I don't see how he has much left to prove in AAA. His health and pitching mechanics can be best managed with the major league club. His learning curve will also improve more efficiently while pitching in the major league setting. He can always go back to Rochester and work out his adjustments, if needed. Let's get his best and freshest (possibly limited) innings with the big club, maybe after just a few more starts in Rochester.

Edited by jokin, 24 April 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

I think the Twins will give Pelfrey more time, only because of the financial investment, but that doesn't mean the Twins shouldn't make room for May and Meyer soon. But not in the rotation, Deduno should have the next spot, IMO.

I would like to see Meyer and May called up, but sent to the bullpen. The Cardinals almost ALWAYS do this with its young talented arms: Wainwright, Lynn, Wacha, kid named Carlos Martinez (BA's no.31 prospect). This serves two purposes: 1) Save some innings on their arms and 2) Success in small amounts can give them confidence at getting MLB hitters out.
I LOVE how the Cardinals trusted Michael Wacha last year in October. He had been great in the minors, but made him earn a rotation spot by being too good to keep in the bullpen any longer. Unleash Meyer and May soon in the mid-innings.

You were posting while I was writing....but exactly this. As I stated in my previous post, even Gardy and his neanderthalic tendencies recognized the potential value that Meyer would have to the team in a bullpen role back in March.

#28 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

[quote name='jokin']August? Really? I can't understand why it is somehow acceptable to hold back your potentially best options to improve your team- both in 2014, and going forward from this season. Baltimore didn't do it with their best pitchers, and they were trying to win. Miami didn't do it, and they had/have no hope of winning.

Once multi-million dollar arbitration considerations have been dealt with prudently, it's inexcusable not to heed Middlebrooks' admonitions with regards to Meyer. Even Gardy wondered aloud in Spring Training on how foolish it would be not to have some kind of role for Meyer with the Twins, starter or not, if he continued performing as well as he did in March. QUOTE]

I agree. He is a Boras client so you wait for the super 2 deadline in June. Then it makes no sense to have your best pitching talent since 2006 waste starts in Rochester.

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

[quote name='tobi0040'][quote name='jokin']August? Really? I can't understand why it is somehow acceptable to hold back your potentially best options to improve your team- both in 2014, and going forward from this season. Baltimore didn't do it with their best pitchers, and they were trying to win. Miami didn't do it, and they had/have no hope of winning.

Once multi-million dollar arbitration considerations have been dealt with prudently, it's inexcusable not to heed Middlebrooks' admonitions with regards to Meyer. Even Gardy wondered aloud in Spring Training on how foolish it would be not to have some kind of role for Meyer with the Twins, starter or not, if he continued performing as well as he did in March. QUOTE]

I agree. He is a Boras client so you wait for the super 2 deadline in June. Then it makes no sense to have your best pitching talent since 2006 waste starts in Rochester.[/QUOTE]

Super 2 could very well not factor in here. If Meyer performs to the level we all expect and hope to see, his arb years will be bought out during or after his second major league year.

#30 golfboy1

golfboy1

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing Meyer also but a little patience isn't a bad thing. He's had ONE great start, his previous start was a clunker & his overall stats are good but not great. I think giving him another 6 thru 10 starts isn't going to hurt & if he strings together a bunch of good/great starts they will have to find room for him.

I mean if we are going to promote everyone who had a good game at AAA recently we better find room for Parmelee, Bernier & Farris also.

Meyer has great stuff, obviously better than any of the current Twins starters but he still needs more than 4 starts at AAA before he should be called up. (IMHO)