Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Royals, 4/20 @ 1:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to center field at 10-15 m.p.h. Temperature around 75.

Twins:
SP, Hughes

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Plouffe 3B
Colabello RF
Kubel LF
Pinto DH
Suzuki C
Hicks CF
Escobar SS

Royals:
SP, Ventura

Aoki RF
Infante 2B
Hosmer 1B
Perez C
Gordon LF
Butler DH
Moustakas 3B
Maxwell CF
Escobar SS

---------------------------------------

Brian, the thinking man, will have more to say here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you and Happy Easter

Things to think about:

1. Yordano Ventura -- 100 MPH... The hard throwing right hander is going to have our Twins on their toes today. Major leaguers can hit a 100 MPH fastball if it's grooved but they don't hit it every time because it ain't easy. Ventura is a good pitcher... a rookie of the year candidate and he's much better than Frank Oxnard... Steve Bakersfield... Luis Obispo... Jerry Santa Barbara and Todd Big Sur.

2. Defense -- Stomp Stomp Defense... Stomp Stomp Defense... You gotta prevent the crooked numbers if you want to win baseball games. Crooked numbers happen when you fail to make outs. If you give a team 5 outs to play with they usually hurt you and that's the ball game.

Case in point... The 4th inning yesterday:

After a Gordon single... Colabello blew a routine fly ball which would have been the first out of the inning. Instead of one out and a runner on 1st... there are runners on 2nd and 3rd with no out.

Moustakas hits a sacrifice fly which should have been the 2nd out with a runner on 1st. Instead it's one run in and one out.

After Escobar is hit by a pitch... Trevor Plouffe doesn't move on a routine ball (let's assume he didn't see it... I hope it wasn't because he wasn't on his toes). That should have been the third out with no runs allowed but it allows another run to score and following that the Pinto error on a throw that should have never happened because they should have been in the dugout.

When it was all said and done... According to the official scorer... 1 error (Pinto throwing error)... So... Correia is standing on the mound with 5 runs crossing the plate in the inning with 4 of those runs earned but Corriea should have escaped with zero earned. D Matters and those crooked numbers kill you.

3. Crooked Numbers -- Phil Hughes is starting today.

4. Animal Prognostication -- The evidence seems to suggest that the animals are better at predicting things then Joe A. ;)

5. Easter Baskets -- Happy Easter to all!!! This Morning I was honored to be given the assignment of hiding the Easter Baskets for my Nieces and Nephews. I did a great job hiding them... The Kids tore after it... Kids searching high and low. I'd tell them... you're getting colder... you're getting warmer... you're getting colder. This went on for an hour and they didn't find any of them. Finally... My youngest Niece got frustrated and she started to cry. My wife says to me... "ENOUGH!!! ... Damn It Brian... Get in the car and take them to their EASTER BASKETS"!!!

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 20 April 2014 - 12:57 PM.

When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#2 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

5. Easter Baskets -- Happy Easter to all!!! This Morning I was honored to be given the assignment of hiding the Easter Baskets for my Nieces and Nephews. I did a great job hiding them... The Kids tore after it... Kids searching high and low. I'd tell them... you're getting colder... you're getting warmer... you're getting colder. This went on for an hour and they didn't find any of them. Finally... My youngest Niece got frustrated and she started to cry. My wife says to me... "ENOUGH!!! ... Damn It Brian... Get in the car and take them to their EASTER BASKETS"!!!

That's just mean. Funny. But mean. :)

#3 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

Wishing all a happy and blessed Easter! If you don't celebrate Easter, wishing all a peaceful and happy Sunday!

#4 PatG

PatG

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to center field at 10-15 m.p.h. Temperature around 75.

Twins:
SP, Hughes

Dozier 1B
Mauer 2B
Plouffe 3B
Colabello RF
Kubel LF
Pinto DH
Suzuki C
Hicks CF
Escobar SS

Royals:
SP, Ventura

Aoki RF
Infante 2B
Hosmer 1B
Perez C
Gordon LF
Butler DH
Moustakas 3B
Maxwell CF
Escobar SS

Brian, the thinking man, will have more to say here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you and Happy Easter

Things to think about:

1. Yordano Ventura -- 100 MPH... The hard throwing right hander is going to have our Twins on their toes today. Major leaguers can hit a 100 MPH fastball if it's grooved but they don't hit it every time because it ain't easy. Ventura is a good pitcher... a rookie of the year candidate and he's much better than Frank Oxnard... Steve Bakersfield... Luis Obispo... Jerry Santa Barbara and Todd Big Sur.

2. Defense -- Stomp Stomp Defense... Stomp Stomp Defense... You gotta prevent the crooked numbers if you want to win baseball games. Crooked numbers happen when you fail to make outs. If you give a team 5 outs to play with they usually hurt you and that's the ball game.

Case in point... The 4th inning yesterday:

After a Gordon single... Colabello blew a routine fly ball which would have been the first out of the inning. Instead of one out and a runner on 1st... there are runners on 2nd and 3rd with no out.

Moustakas hits a sacrifice fly which should have been the 2nd out with a runner on 1st. Instead it's one run in and one out.

After Escobar is hit by a pitch... Trevor Plouffe doesn't move on a routine ball (let's assume he didn't see it... I hope it wasn't because he wasn't on his toes). That should have been the third out with no runs allowed but it allows another run to score and following that the Pinto error on a throw that should have never happened because they should have been in the dugout.

When it was all said and done... According to the official scorer... 1 error (Pinto throwing error)... So... Correia is standing on the mound with 5 runs crossing the plate in the inning with 4 of those runs earned but Corriea should have escaped with zero earned. D Matters and those crooked numbers kill you.

3. Crooked Numbers -- Phil Hughes is starting today.

4. Animal Prognostication -- The evidence seems to suggest that the animals are better at predicting things then Joe A. ;)

When does Buxton come off the DL? I believe the Twins love to coddle their top prospects, we are seeing it here again in Buxton. Why not let the guy come up to the bigs and see what he has? Our current lead off guy, although hitting for some power, is hitting around the Mendoza line? Why not let Buxton have a couple of weeks; hey, better D in the outfield is never a bad thing....

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Buxton has yet to even swing a bat since his injury in mid March.
You arent going to see him with big club any time soon, and if he doesnt get into a lineup somewhere soon, almost certainly not at all this year.

#6 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, my dad was so good at hiding 'em that we didn't find the last few until we got out the winter clothes in the fall... Knowing this, i think our family kept track of the real dyed eggs, so it was only the plastic candy filled ones what we'd give up.

Wait... you had to drive to get them? Only seems fair if you let the kids drive while looking for them...

"2.... those crooked numbers kill you."

I always thought "the Butler did it", but no, i guess it was a crooked number. Now i can imagine fans from a game called to look at line up. "Can you identify the number that did him in?" "It was the 5, officer, I'm sure of it!"

And in response to 4, well, i don't think animals don't have to worry about jinxing things, so they got it easy! 1 out of 2 ain't bad, albeit a small sample size...

Anyhow, lookin' forward to the game!

"Little beat big if little is smart.

First with the head, then with the heart."

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,764 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

#8 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

Cue Yakety Sax.

#9 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Sunlight + HD = Holy crap at Marney Gellner's forehead wrinkles!

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,764 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,764 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

He's kind of a Nick Punto of the outfield. Get him in the lineup!

#13 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

The Clairvoyant predicts: within the next ten days Hicks and Florimon are optioned, and Fuld and Nunez are up.

edit - wrong already, Mastro DFA'd.

Edited by crarko, 20 April 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#14 30whales

30whales

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Twins:
SP, Hughes

Dozier 1B
Mauer 2B
Plouffe 3B
Colabello RF
Kubel LF
Pinto DH
Suzuki C
Hicks CF
Escobar SS

Royals:
SP, Ventura

Aoki RF
Infante 2B
Hosmer 1B
Perez C
Gordon LF
Butler DH
Moustakas 3B
Maxwell CF
Escobar SS

Mauer at 2B and Dozier at 1B? That's a bold move Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

#15 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

So how many runs are we going to get?

#16 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

So how many runs are we going to get?

2 so far, courtesy of Plouffe double w/ Mauer and Dozier on.

"Little beat big if little is smart.

First with the head, then with the heart."

#17 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Mauer at 2B and Dozier at 1B? That's a bold move Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

Prolly a move designed to get more power from first base. :P

#18 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

Ventura's change-up is harder than I can throw with a running start.

#19 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

It's nice we have a power hitter at the plate in this situation.

#20 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

This place is deader than the stadium in October.

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Young Gibby still in Italy?

#22 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

This place is deader than the stadium in October.

Then it looks like you are carrying the ball today - it's your off day to pitch anyway, right? :)

#23 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Young Gibby still in Italy?

2 young Gibby's are in Italy. My youngest is in Rome with her club team.

#24 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

2 young Gibby's are in Italy. My youngest is in Rome with her club team.

My Eldest is in Conegliano playing for the Panthers. If they win the next 2 matches they are in the Italian championship. If they lose either one, they are done and I get her back for a couple weeks.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

My Eldest is in Conegliano playing for the Panthers. If they win the next 2 matches they are in the Italian championship. If they lose either one, they are done and I get her back for a couple weeks.

So which are you hoping for?

#26 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

0-2 on the 9 hitter, and walk him.

Uffda.

#27 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Oops ... was going 1, 2, 3

#28 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

So which are you hoping for?

I've seen here lose in 2 final 4s and the national championship for 18 year olds. Of course I want a championship. If they make it we are going out for it, so I don't mind that.

What I'm really psyched about is I get to watch her in the World Gran Prix in her USA jersey next summer in Omaha. Then Rio the following summer.

#29 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

I've seen here lose in 2 final 4s and the national championship for 18 year olds. Of course I want a championship. If they make it we are going out for it, so I don't mind that.

What I'm really psyched about is I get to watch her in the World Gran Prix in her USA jersey next summer in Omaha. Then Rio the following summer.

Wow, Omaha and Rio!

The beaches, the girls, the excitement!

And I hear Rio's nice, too.

#30 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Wow, Omaha and Rio!

The beaches, the girls, the excitement!

And I hear Rio's nice, too.

Yeah Omaha has the steaks, and all the girls in Rio have their asses hanging out.