Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Jason Bartlett to retire

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Mike Berardino tweeted a few minutes ago.

Great decision
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,675 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

The right decision. Hey, but I give him props for giving it one last try. Now he knows without a doubt that he did all he could and can get on with the rest if his life with no regrets or wondering 'What if.'
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#3 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,861 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

I guess they'll just have to find some other 30 something, career middle infielder to shoehorn into the outfield.

There is no May and Mayer. They're made up.

#4 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

The right move. Got that out of the way.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him in some coaching role...
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#5 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

That Presley decision gets better every day.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#6 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Seems like the best move for both Jason and the Twins.

I wonder if this will help things along on the Sam Fuld front? Bartlett retiring opens up a spot on the 40 man, after all...

#7 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Happy retirement to Bartlett, who gave us some good memories.
I was against his coming North with the Twins, but I'm glad now that he made it and found out it is over for him. Sound be a content, retired from playing MLB'er.

#8 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Really wish we wouldn't have wasted a roster spot on him and lost a decent backup CF. Hopefully Mastro can step it up.
I bent my wookie...

#9 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Really wish we wouldn't have wasted a roster spot on him and lost a decent backup CF. Hopefully Mastro can step it up.

That Presley decision gets better every day.

.146/.163/.293

Alex Presley's slash line in 11 games with Houston so far. Not sure whether there is anything decent about that.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

I thought it was a terrible trade when the Twins traded Buck for him. But I was very excited as I was proved wrong and he moved up the minors. I really liked him as a Twin and never felt like he got a fair shake. Watched him after and missed him. Hoped he had something left in the tank and could be a Jose-Offerman type 25th man. Then watched in dismay the last game he played. It's been a roller coaster career. I wish the best for him in his next endeavor.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

.146/.163/.293

Alex Presley's slash line in 11 games with Houston so far. Not sure whether there is anything decent about that.

In Presley's defense, that's a pretty gosh awful Astros lineup. Mauer might hit .250 surrounded by that lot.

I wasn't so upset about losing Presley as wasting a spot on Bartlett, especially to be a backup outfielder. Did they really pass on Bonifacio because of this guy? Or the various OF on waivers at the end of spring? The fact that he retired within weeks of the Twins decision is pretty embarassing, frankly.

#13 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

That said, loved Bartlett. Great find by TR back in the day, and a key part of the 2006 turnaround.

#14 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

I feel like this is embarrassing for the twins. They let a guy make the 25 man roster just for him to retire 3 weeks into the season. In the grand scale of things, this means nothing, but I really have to question Antony/Gardy's thought process with Bartlett.

#15 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

I feel like this is embarrassing for the twins. They let a guy make the 25 man roster just for him to retire 3 weeks into the season. In the grand scale of things, this means nothing, but I really have to question Antony/Gardy's thought process with Bartlett.

It happens, Gaetti retired after 10 hitless at bats with Boston his last season.

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

It happens, Gaetti retired after 10 hitless at bats with Boston his last season.

And Boston fired both their manager and GM within 2 seasons.

#17 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Does this mean Barlett is smarter than whoever decided to take him North?

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

.146/.163/.293

There were other options never considered apparently because of Bartlett's presence.

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

Does this mean Barlett is smarter than whoever decided to take him North?

What turned out to be his final game in LF kind-of answers that question.

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

In Presley's defense, that's a pretty gosh awful Astros lineup. Mauer might hit .250 surrounded by that lot.

I wasn't so upset about losing Presley as wasting a spot on Bartlett, especially to be a backup outfielder. Did they really pass on Bonifacio because of this guy? Or the various OF on waivers at the end of spring? The fact that he retired within weeks of the Twins decision is pretty embarassing, frankly.

Grady Sizemore responded in the negative when asked if he was contacted by the Twins about signing him in the offseason. $750, 000 is turning out to be quite a bargain for the Red Sox.

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

I say Congratulations to Jason Bartlett. I hope he is happy with this decision and at peace with it. My guess is that he didn't come to this decision by himself. He had a solid career, and hopefully he is able to enjoy the rest of his life with his wife and kids.

#22 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

I wish him the best in retirement, and am glad he gave it a shot if he thought he had something left. Granted, I think he could've come to the same conclusion ten days before the season started, but if they told him he had the lead for the 25th spot, can't blame him for trying.

#23 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Granted, I think he could've come to the same conclusion ten days before the season started, but if they told him he had the lead for the 25th spot, can't blame him for trying.

Maybe "they" should be more responsible for putting actual ballplayers on the squad than a washed out player attempting a comeback.

#24 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

Exactly. Such a retirement that soon after being on the 25-man out of ST is ridiculous.

#25 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:40 AM

.146/.163/.293

Isn't that why the Presley decision looks better and better?

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

It would be something like a .250/.500/.520 and then only score 40 runs. He'd probably break the walk record.

#27 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

Managers like mature responsible players on the roster sometimes because they think they cans set an example for some of the younger guys. Bartlett probably hoped he had enough in the tank (and had a healthy enough body) that he could fill that role and contribute a little. So did Gardy. Both were wrong. Bartlett was mature & responsible enough to recognize that and save everyone ( and particularly his own body) more pain.

(I'm wondering if the next guy with that realization will be Willingham).

I'm not going to beat them up too much for Presley over this. First, it isn't clear he would have made the team if not for Bartlett. It seems to me like Colabello is as much to blame for that, and that has worked out pretty well. Second, the penalty for hat decision is losing Alex Presley, which isn't much of a penalty. It reminds me of getting worked up about losing Joe Benson, who is 26 and hitting .230 in AA right now. Sometimes guys just aren't who we want them to be.

(If we want to go after the Twins regarding Presley, it seems to me that a better place to go after them would be why they traded for him in the first place. What did he show them in a month of playing that the scouts couldn't figure out before that?)

But the bottom line is that centerfield is a mess. I couldn't figure out why they were chasing Rajai Davis this winter, but that's pretty clear right now. Mastroianni is slow, Presley is gone and Hicks can't hit fastballs from the left side (and just had his veteran mentor retire). I'm no huge Sam Fuld fan, but he would make a ton of sense on this team right now.

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

I wish Jason well... To quote Neil Young... There Comes a Time.

The 25th spot on the roster won't kill the 2014 Twins but...

From the outside... It sure looks like keeping Bartlett may have been why they didn't pursue Bonofacio. Bonofacio was absolutely perfect for this team!!! CF, Speed, utility, leadoff experience and ability. All things the Twins sorely lack.

At the time... I thought the Twins stayed clear from Bonofacio to protect Parmelee... I coulda been OK with that but as we can see... Nope!!!

Bartlett was the protected one. Bartlett was given the MLB job along with the minor league deal.... There is no other explanation because he did not simply race past anyone in ST.

It seemingly was decided to try and turn Jason Bartlett into Bonofacio instead of signing the actual Bonofacio.

I'd really like to know... Who was the advocate??? Was it Gardy??? I'd really like to know.

The Twins approach to CF this year is so baffling... I don't know how to rationalize it.

Who spends 2013 working without a net in CF? Only to fail at the high wire act and come crashing to the ground from great heights. Spend months in the hospital... Just to do it again in 2014?

Who thought that these Bartlett spiderwebs is the net we were lacking in 2013? I really want to know!!!
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#29 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

I wish Jason well... To quote Neil Young... There Comes a Time.

The 25th spot on the roster won't kill the 2014 Twins but...

From the outside... It sure looks like keeping Bartlett may have been why they didn't pursue Bonofacio. Bonofacio was absolutely perfect for this team!!! CF, Speed, utility, leadoff experience and ability. All things the Twins sorely lack.

At the time... I thought the Twins stayed clear from Bonofacio to protect Parmelee... I coulda been OK with that but as we can see... Nope!!!

Bartlett was the protected one. Bartlett was given the MLB job along with the minor league deal.... There is no other explanation because he did not simply race past anyone in ST.

It seemingly was decided to try and turn Jason Bartlett into Bonofacio instead of signing the actual Bonofacio.

I'd really like to know... Who was the advocate??? Was it Gardy??? I'd really like to know.

The Twins approach to CF this year is so baffling... I don't know how to rationalize it.

Who spends 2013 working without a net in CF? Only to fail at the high wire act and come crashing to the ground from great heights. Spend months in the hospital... Just to do it again in 2014?

Who thought that these Bartlett spiderwebs is the net we were lacking in 2013? I really want to know!!!

This a hundred times. Maybe Nunez can be that guy? In today's baseball of 13 pitchers you can see why teams are looking for guys like this. I wouldn't doubt that the twins told Bart that Nunez was going to be their guy.

#30 Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I think this is just real life. If the people in charge like you, you will get a shot over someone else who may have out performed you. That was the case this year for both Bartlett and Kubel. They were flat out given spots on the team vs. earning them. Lucky for them, Kubel started off hot otherwise there would really be some griping going on right about now. As it is, everything I read into Gardy's quotes indicates Nunez will be up to take Bartlett's place. Maybe not instantly, but I'm convinced very soon. It's usually pretty easy to spot the "chosen ones" from listening to Gardy.