Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

2013 and 2014 Twins

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

I think the scariest thing about the Twins current situation is the lack of pitching in the organization as a whole. The current Twins pitchers on paper do not look sufficient to compete at a high enough level(On Paper). Scouts and rating services do not list anybody in the farm system as top level pitching prospects outside of the injured Gibson. This is clearly a What if... because it's too early to throw in the towel. I'm hopeful that the Twins will have a decent year but when the reality of the Twins pitching staff on paper sets in... Plus the lack of pitching prospects at the upper farm level... If you are honest... most of us believe that this could be a long year... making it two long years in a row. If everything this year goes like we kinda deep down fear... I think the Twins have to go young in 2013 and target for 2014 as the year to get back to AL Central title contenders. Pavano, Baker, Liriano, Marquis and Capps will be gone next year and that will free up 28 Million in Salary. Don't have to spend it all in 2013... Target for 2014. You obviously can't trade Capps for Bryce Harper. So put together somewhat reasonable trades and we will try to assume the other team goes for it. The Twins probably can't sign Cole Hamels if the Yankees and Phillies are competing for him. To make it easy... Let's assume Health for everybody even Morneau. If you got a bunch of time to sort through it all... Build your squads 2013 and 2014 below. It would be interesting to see what everyone would do.

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Here's Mine: 2012 Trade deadline deals July Span: Traded to Rangers for 21 year old LHP Martin Perez Of anyone on the squad. Span fetches the biggest return. Gotta get a potential #1 #2 pitcher in return. I think the Rangers go for it because they will be in contention and Hamilton and Cruz hardly ever stay healthy and Span is in upgrade over Murphy. If the Rangers won't part with Perez for Span... Throw in a low level guy like Kepler or something if necessary. Morneau: Traded to Yankees for Kevin Whelen and Adam Warren Assuming Health... I'll project Morneau at around .270 BA and 12 Homers in July. Considering the slow start...These numbers could attract the Yankees... They might take a chance if the Twins assumed 6 million of his 2013 Salary. With those numbers and health... The Yankees would love his left handed bat for the DH role. Whelen would be an addition to the bullpen possibly setup and Warren a #4 or #5 candidate for the rotation. Capps and Carroll: Traded to Reds for Donnie Joseph Assuming Capps doesn't totally implode. Title Chasing teams are always looking for experienced bullpen help at the deadline. I'm not sure if the Reds do this deal or not because Joseph is left handed and rated pretty high. Throw in a low level guy like Kepler or something to complete the deal. Off-Season Trades: Danny Velencia traded to Rockies for Eric Young Jr and PTBNA. Rockies may take Velencia to hold 3B down for a year to give Arenado another year to season. They don't seem to have room for EY Jr. I'll take him for his speed and multiple position ability. 2013 Free Agents: James Shields (6 Year Deal - 90 Million) Jake Fox: 1 year deal 400,000 Resigned: Doumit (2 year deal - 8 million) The 2014 Free Agent Pitching looks light... If you are looking at 2014... You need to get your guy in the 2013 free agent class. The Big Boys will be chasing Hamels and Greinke. The Twins could get competitive here and use the 28 million off the books and give Shields the deal he is looking for and pray for health. CJ Wilson signed for 5 years 77 Million. Jake Fox: Is a backup at 3B-RF-1B and provides the C ability and he has Power. Just might park one on occasion. Good cheap guy to have on your bench. SP: Shields, Perez, Gibson, Blackburn, Hendriks, Warren, Diamond, Swarzak CL: Perkins RHRP: Hembree, Whalen, Burton, Waldrop, Burnett LHRP: Joseph, Deunsing, Maloney C-1B: Mauer, Doumit, Parmelee 2B-SS: Casilla, Dozier, Nishioka 3B-RF: Willingham, Plouffe, Fox LF-CF: Revere, Young Jr, Hicks, Benson Starting Lineup Batting Order (Projections AV-HR-SB) Revere LF (.290-1-45) Dozier SS (.280-8-15) Mauer C (.310-10-10) Willingham RF (.270-30-5) Doumit DH (.260-14-1) Parmelee 1B (.260-20-1) Plouffe 3B (.240-15-5) Hicks CF (.260-10-20) Casilla 2B (.290-5-20) Estimated Payroll -- 81 Million including 6 Million payed to Morneau/Yankees 2014 Free Agents: Matt Garza... 6 Years - 90 Million Ben Zobrist... 3 Years - 30 Million Kendrys Morales... 3 Years 24 Million Boone Logan... 3 Years - 18 Million Garza has matured and the Twins pony up the money. Gardenhire will be OK with this because he is managing the Mets by 2014 and is happy he doesn't have to put with him. Ben Zobrist Signed at age 33 for 3 Years. A nice contract for Morales who will see nothing but DH with the Angels. Boone Logan... Should be the top reliever available in 2014. SP: Shields, Garza, Perez, Gibson, Hendriks, Warren, (Appel? -- 2012 1st Round Pick) CL: Perkins RHRP: Hembree, Whelen, Burton LHRP: Logan, Joseph, Duensing, C-1B: Mauer, Doumit, Parmelee, Morales 2B-SS: Zobrist, Dozier, Young Jr. 3B-RF: Willingham, Plouffe, Fox (Sano called up when Arb Clock is Right-- Plouffe traded for prospects) LF-CF: Hicks, Revere, Benson Starting Lineup and Projections Revere LF (.320-1-60) Mauer C (.330-20-5) Morales DH (.320-30-1) Willingham RF (.250-30-1) Parmelee 1B (.280-25-1) Sano 3B (.230-20-6) Zobrist 2B (.250-20-15) Dozier SS (.300-10-10) Hicks CF (.270-20-30) Estimated Payroll: 103 Million OK... Don't tear it apart too much... A bunch of wild assumptions with this... Obviously it won't work this way. Just spend a Sunday putting it together for fun. BTW... in my World. The Twins Win the World Series in 2014 and for that you are all very welcome.

#3 30whales

30whales

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Do you guys really think that the Rangers would do Denard Span for Martin Perez? I have no clue I just want to here what others think of that. I really hope we are able to get one or more top pitching prospects at the deadline but I have my doubts.

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

You just don't trade pitchers for ofers. ofers are a dime a dozen.

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

You just don't trade pitchers for ofers. ofers are a dime a dozen.

Pence for Cozart, Bailey for Reddick, Beltran for Wheeler, Latos for Alonso, Sanchez for Cabrera, Jackson for Rasmus. It's happened before.

It Still doesn't prove that the Rangers trade Perez for Span however but Denard would be a good fit in Texas.

#6 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

That was an interesting post, Riverbrian. I am wondering whether Oakland might be a good trade partner. They always seem to have plenty of good pitching coming up through their system. What do you think of Jarrod Parker, who plays for the Sacramento River Cats (AAA affiliate of the A's)?

#7 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

The Yankees would never trade for Morneau. They are set at 1B and are specifically keeping the DH open for resting their senior citizens.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'll just say that they need to use serious money on serious pitchers in teh next year, or there won't be many people in Target Field. Again, Philly has spent a ton of money, has no offense this year, and several minor leaguers with serious upside....
Lighten up Francis....

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Do you guys really think that the Rangers would do Denard Span for Martin Perez? I have no clue I just want to here what others think of that. I really hope we are able to get one or more top pitching prospects at the deadline but I have my doubts.

If they don't, then don't make that trade. I think you look at Hunter Pence's trade as comparable - Phillies gave up 2 top 50 prospects + two more intriguing young guys. Span should be worth a lot and I think, if they decide to move him, could create a bidding war. A lot of teams could use a high on base guy who has his range in center, esp one with such a nice contract. A team like Cincinnati, in win-now mode, might not want to for Stubbs to turn things around after a couple disappointing seasons. Most teams that will be in a playoff hunt at the deadline could use a guy like Span to either take over center or to take over left from an aging and declining player.

#10 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

If you trade Span, we need to make sure we get a lot back for him. Clearly he is back to the player he was 2-3 years ago. A great leadoff hitter with a decent arm. I would hate to see him go, but now is the time to get something for him....

#11 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

It would be interesting to see what everyone would do.

Apparently it's to rip your ideas to shreds. You should have named this thread, "Shark Chum".

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

That was an interesting post, Riverbrian.

I am wondering whether Oakland might be a good trade partner. They always seem to have plenty of good pitching coming up through their system.

What do you think of Jarrod Parker, who plays for the Sacramento River Cats (AAA affiliate of the A's)?

I like him... Parker is up with the A's now and he had a real nice first start for the A's. I don't see the A's in contention and I don't think they would pay for Span because.

However, Parker will be available in a couple of years. He will break out and the A's will trade him for two prospects just like they did with every other pitcher.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Apparently it's to rip your ideas to shreds. You should have named this thread, "Shark Chum".

lol... my ideas should be ripped to shreads. What are the odds that everyone on this board agrees with me.

What I'd like to see is more plans put together by others. I think they would be interesting reads.

I should have titled the thread either:

A: If you were the GM
B: Your blue print for the Twins return to title contention
C: I have way too much time on my hands
D: I just did this because my wife wanted me to mow the lawn

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

B: Your blue print for the Twins return to title contention

I don't have a blue print because, despite a Baseball America subscription, I don't have enough of a feel for whom to go after. I'll just say that strategically, I would choose teams as trading partners that have a track record of not knowing what they are doing. No trades with Tampa Bay, or probably Washington; they'll pick us apart because they can evaluate talent, and will foist their second-rate prospects on us.