Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Why Not Play Ball in the Snow - 4/16/2014????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Why cancel the game? You baseball players and wimpy fans can't handle a little snow. They play football in the snow. Why not baseball? We're not the Orlando Twins - this is a Team from MINNESOTA - act like it's from Minesota. Think of the fun watching or attending such a game. There would be no routine fly balls, and sliding runners would spray the infielders with mud rather than a cloud of dust. Fans could wear Santa Claus suits or five fans could go bare-chested and spell out T-W-I-N-S in grease paint. The Mayo Clinic could even bring back the annoying dance-off on the icy dugouts and plaza. Have them dance to "Ice Ice Baby" or "Cold as Ice". Oh, you're worried about injuries?? The players are paid to put their bodies on the line - and there is no scientific study anyway showing that injuries increase when baseball is played in the snow. I say "PLAY BALL!!!"

#2 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

I've already crossed sitting through a cold, windy, game at Target Field off the bucket list. Don't need to do it again.

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

would start Pinto

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Also thank your Commissioner for schedule imbalance. Toronto doesn't come back this way again this year.

And to those folks not in the Twin Cities…. YES it is snowing heavily, the wet miserable type of snow, blowing and creating slush everywhere. Northern Wisconsin will get the worst of it as usual. No chance the game would be played but tomorrow is looking up.

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Wimps....when I was a kid..

#5 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Also thank your Commissioner for schedule imbalance. Toronto doesn't come back this way again this year.

That's actually a good thing.

#6 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

The game could have become an instant classic, the "Snowball Game"

Sadly, hold your puns, the game never was.

#7 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

I could see all kinds of new plays. There's the new twist on the hidden ball trick - just throw a snowball back to the pitcher instead. On hits to the outfield, players will be rounding the bases while outfielders dig for the ball, but then outfielders will start decoying by digging when they have already found the ball. It could be entertaining for a while on TV, but I wouldn't want to be there.

#8 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

It looks like they may get the opportunity anyway with this noon game.