Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Early Surprises in the 2014 Season

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...the-2014-Season

#2 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Do you think the Gyorko signing has raised the bar for a Dozier signing? They have the same amount of service time.........I was hoping for a Dozier extension , if he has a good yr this yr , of 4 yrs/$17.4 mil, with 2 FA option yrs at $9 and $11 mil........now that Gyorko just signed a 5 yr $35 mill extension plus one option yr($13 mil), longer we wait the more expensive Dozier will get.........last yrs stats between Gyorko and Dozier are similar with Gyorko being approx. 2 yrs younger than Dozier

#3 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

I've always thought Kubel's defense was underrated so that's not a big surprise for me. Especially that he's better than Willingham and Arcia. I'm really surprised by his bat so far. I expected him to hit just not this well. He looks pretty confident right now which is good to see.
I've been surprised with the offense as a whole this year as well. Been awhile since I've felt confident in them to score runs. I really hope they can keep it going and get the pitching turns around.

#4 ericchri

ericchri

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

I've always found the notion that Kubel plays poor defense strange. I certainly don't watch every game and I'm no scout, but the difference between he and a Josh Willingham (stiff, slow) or a Delmon Young (sloppy) was always drastic to me. He looks like an outfielder. He might not be particularly fast, but otherwise he looks the part to me.

The Joe Mauer strikeout thing is definitely troubling. He seems to have rough stretches every year where he goes a couple weeks of really poor hitting before finding himself again, so hopefully he's working his way towards one of his hotter streaks.

#5 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

Do you think the Gyorko signing has raised the bar for a Dozier signing? They have the same amount of service time.........I was hoping for a Dozier extension , if he has a good yr this yr , of 4 yrs/$17.4 mil, with 2 FA option yrs at $9 and $11 mil........now that Gyorko just signed a 5 yr $35 mill extension plus one option yr($13 mil), longer we wait the more expensive Dozier will get.........last yrs stats between Gyorko and Dozier are similar with Gyorko being approx. 2 yrs younger than Dozier

Dozier is already signed, no need to resign him.

#6 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

Dozier needs to hit higher than .244 before he gets an extension.

#7 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

It's nice to see Kubel get off to a hot start like he has. He can't possibly keep it up but could have a very nice season which will lead to more wins, as his fast start has.

Mauers' K's worry me alot. Plouffe has really surprised me so far. No way did I see it coming, and hope it continues. If it does, I was dead wrong about him on some things. I still think he's the luckiest man in the world though.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

I'm not shocked by Kubel's d.....but I am by his O. It will be interesting when Willingham and Arcia come back......Willingham should be the DH. He should have been at the start of the year.

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

What's up with the Twins taking so many walks so far this year? Has that been a concerted effort by the team?

#10 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

Agree. He will never get *too expensive* for the Twins...

#11 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Mauer has had 57 PA and even with the strikeouts his OBP is still .388. If you want to play small samples and chasing endpoints, how about five multi-hit games in his last eight? How about the fact that he struck out in all but one (including two strikeouts in four of eight?) Does any of this mean anything? No, it's mid-April. This is not a thing.

#12 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

If Dozier's last year is repeatable, he needs to be with the club ling term. Reward his performance with some financial security and keep him around until his mid-thirties. At 2nd or SS.

#13 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

What's up with the Twins taking so many walks so far this year? Has that been a concerted effort by the team?

Pitchers fear the line-up and are pitching around them?

I am going to wait a little longer before being paranoid about Mauer.

#14 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

If Dozier's last year is repeatable, he needs to be with the club ling term. Reward his performance with some financial security and keep him around until his mid-thirties. At 2nd or SS.

And you want to do this now? That question remains to be answered.

#15 Rick Niedermann

Rick Niedermann

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

I'm most surprised by Plouffe's plate discipline and his hitting to right. Reminds me of how Brian Harper turned around his career and became a lifetime .300 hitter for the Twins. If he can sustain this approach, he is definitely part of the rebuild. I'd lost all hope for him last year. He looks like a different player up to the plate now.

#16 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

The wway I understand it is Dozier is not eligible for Free Agency until 2019, but unless I miss something, he does not have a specific contract beyond this season.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

If I were the owner I would merely throw Dozier some more hundreds of thousands before arb kicks in. I know it doesn't work like that, but whatever. Signing him in 2016 or 2017 through 2020 or 2021 makes sense. Not now.

#18 cmonhank

cmonhank

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Re Mauer: Take away the 1 game in March, and Mauer is hitting .311, OBP .411, 19TB, 8R - I believe in the past, his Ks have gone up when he's been looking for more power... yeah, this is not a "thing" yet.

#19 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm most surprised by Plouffe's plate discipline and his hitting to right. Reminds me of how Brian Harper turned around his career and became a lifetime .300 hitter for the Twins. If he can sustain this approach, he is definitely part of the rebuild. I'd lost all hope for him last year. He looks like a different player up to the plate now.

I would like to see Plouffe's fielding improve some... But if his hitting is sustained for the better part of the season with no prolonged droughts, I would agree with you, he is part of the rebuild.

#20 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

The most pleasant surprise to date for me has been Plouffe. He's been productive, more than adequate at 3b, and none of it has looked flukey.

#21 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

I've always said that Plouffe was part of the future. I remember what a poor fielder Corey Koskie was and he became an outstanding fielder with practice. Once Sano is ready, don't throw Plouffe out, he becomes a leader for a strong bench. Move him around the infield and outfield and he becomes a strong 10th man who relieves at all positions, but catcher, virtually every day. And I believe he has the makeup and mental strength to play a different position every night.

#22 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Re Mauer: Take away the 1 game in March, and Mauer is hitting .311, OBP .411, 19TB, 8R - I believe in the past, his Ks have gone up when he's been looking for more power... yeah, this is not a "thing" yet.

.......or...... take away a 3/4 day on April 6 and he is hitting .239. It is what it is and that is all that there is and he is heating up and will do just fine, regardless of the peanut gallery. 1 homer already..... 39 to go for 40!

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,523 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

I've always said that Plouffe was part of the future. I remember what a poor fielder Corey Koskie was and he became an outstanding fielder with practice. Once Sano is ready, don't throw Plouffe out, he becomes a leader for a strong bench. Move him around the infield and outfield and he becomes a strong 10th man who relieves at all positions, but catcher, virtually every day. And I believe he has the makeup and mental strength to play a different position every night.

If Plouffe is really an .800 OPS hitter, you don't bench that guy. You give him a position or you trade him to someone who will give him a position.

#24 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Kubel: We got lucky. His injuries are healed, and Kubes is now back to his form from a few years ago. Looks like he's in good physical shape, and I always thought his arm was above average strength and very accurate.

Dozier: His work with Bruno is paying off. Dozier now uses his legs to generate a more powerful swing. It's a beautiful thing to see his compact upper body with some leg drive added. No way that power is going away, Dozier from now on will hit no less than 20 homers per year, probably more. And his defense is superb. Right now he's the best player on the team.

Plouffe: Watch what happens as Plouffe's pitch recognition gradually turns into him pouncing on situational pitches. Kaboom. Too bad about the iron glove. He needs to work on better balance with his fielding footwork. Some of his throws look awkward.

Mauer: This troubles me, because Mauer is trying to transition from a line drive hitter into a power hitter, and the change in his approach does not look good. Just go back to driving it flat, Joe. The uppercut swing is not your style, and an in-between swing is no good.

Pelfrey: No worries here. Pelfrey's still figuring out how his arm reacts to a little more velocity. His mechanics and balance are too good to lose it for long. It's more about his pitching strategy now, how to approach middle innings. He will be good. In fact, this staff is going to be pretty solid after a rough first month.

#25 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

I find everyone of Nick's points surprising, except Pelfrey, not sure why the Twins felt they needed to give him another shot. What's most surprising is the team being in the top 10 in runs scored especially given the unsurprising fact they're in the bottom 10 in BA. Maybe that means they'll catch some breaks and have some good luck this year...the law of averages are in their favor.