Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/11): Garver Powers Kernels Win

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ers-Kernels-Win

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Is Mitch Garver better than we all expected, or is he just beating up on pitchers a grade below both his age and skill level? Can he project to a Ryan Doumit-type player, or something even better, both at the plate and behind the plate?

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

Is Mitch Garver better than we all expected, or is he just beating up on pitchers a grade below both his age and skill level? Can he project to a Ryan Doumit-type player, or something even better, both at the plate and behind the plate?

A 9th round pick just last year, he was a senior, so he was able to save the team some money to sign others. That said, he was one of the three finalists for the Johnny Bench Award for top college catcher (Stuart Turner won it). He's a solid player, a good defensive catcher, and he can hit a bit. He's not young for the level, but so far he's putting up the numbers. THey had him working a lot at 1B in spring training too. I think there's enough to be intrigued about going forward.

#4 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

Another exciting day to watch our pitching prospects, with both Meyer and Stewart starting, weather permitting, of course.

Speaking of prospects has anything come out of Ft Myers about Lewis Thorpe's spring?

#5 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

I think there's enough to be intrigued about going forward.

Intrigued? Four homers and three doubles in 25 at bats? Last year he hit two homers & 15 doubles in 202 at bats. I'm intrigued.

#6 Jeff A

Jeff A

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

I'm reading that John Murphy stole home for Fort Myers last night. Was it a straight steal, or did something happen there?

#7 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Gibson with two wins, Meyer and May, Duffey, Berrios, Stewart, Eades and many more. That's why baseball will keep my attention all year

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Gibson with two wins, Meyer and May, Duffey, Berrios, Stewart, Eades and many more. That's why baseball will keep my attention all year

Well put!

#9 Rick Niedermann

Rick Niedermann

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

What has happened to B.J Hermsen? I'd think he is soon to be a release candidate.

#10 biscuit

biscuit

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

I probably missed it somewhere, but is there any news at all on the Eddie Rosario front?

#11 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

What has happened to B.J Hermsen? I'd think he is soon to be a release candidate.

He's in the NB bullpen.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I probably missed it somewhere, but is there any news at all on the Eddie Rosario front?

Nope, and there won't be until there is. The Twins certainly aren't going to talk about it until there is something to talk about.

#13 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm reading that John Murphy stole home for Fort Myers last night. Was it a straight steal, or did something happen there?

Runner on first and third. Lefty pitcher throws to first for pick off and Murphy breaks from third on his initial move to first. Murphy is extremely fast and excellent defender as well in all 3 OF positions.

#14 Jeff A

Jeff A

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thanks, lightfoot. Not a traditional straight steal of home, then, but pretty impressive nonetheless.