Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/10): Eades-y Does It

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Eades-y-Does-It

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

If you’re scoring at home, most future starting shortstops aren’t replaced for defensive purposes late in AAA games. (Which is why Nunez doesn’t fit into that category in the first place.)

It looks like Nunez is exactly what the Twins wanted and expected. If Florimon isn't sent down or traded, I could easily see him coming in for defensive purposes after Nunez goes 2-3 with an error. (BTW, Santana is batting .222 with a .500 OPS and already has 3 errors and only an .842 FLD%, so he hasn't exactly set a high bar to surpass- as Gardy said, it's about the offense).

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

The Twins/Red Wings said all along they were going to ease Nunez back in. He hadn't played at all in the 10 days that he was in DFA Limbo. So, they didn't play him the first game, and then said they were planning on playing him 6 innings today. Maybe more tomorrow.

#4 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

Twins have a 21 year old Switching hitting SS at AA (Aderlin Mejia) who is sporting a .967 OPS
Not bad first week

#5 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

Love the Miracle Line up 1-9

Edited by lightfoot789, 10 April 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#6 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

DOWN GOES WALKER
DOWN GOES WALKER
Posted Image
IT HAPPENS TO THE BEST OF THEM BIG GUY
"Yes Run Forrest Run"
96% Stolen Base success rate - (54 for 56) since 2010

Great catch Jeremy - Not many take notice

Edited by lightfoot789, 10 April 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

Twins have a 21 year old Switching hitting SS at AA (Aderlin Mejia) who is sporting a .967 OPS
Not bad first week

For Mejia, it's all about the OBP, as he just has singles for hits. And he's completely unheralded on any prospect rankings list. Even the Twins had no illusions- he's batting 9th in the Rock Cats order, and putting him at Ft Myers last year was quite by accident. Although he does have 4 early errors, he's obviously yet agian, trying to prove the doubters wrong.

Seth, have you heard anything within the organization that suggests he's a legitimate prospect as a utility man, let alone a starting SS some day?

Edited by jokin, 10 April 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#8 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

It is so exciting watching the young pitchers at all levels. The new "M&M" boys, Meyer and May at AAA are off to great starts, OK 1 outing each, but I need some starting pitchers to get excited about.

#9 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

I don't know how, but I was completely unaware that Walker was so excellent at stealing bases. I assumed with so much power, he wasn't.

#10 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

I thought Seth was the corny one - "Do I make you"?!? "Life is hard"!?! Wow...

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

I don't know how, but I was completely unaware that Walker was so excellent at stealing bases. I assumed with so much power, he wasn't.

Walker is that rare athlete that has 30-30-30%K potential.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

For Mejia, it's all about the OBP, as he just has singles for hits. And he's completely unheralded on any prospect rankings list. Even the Twins had no illusions- he's batting 9th in the Rock Cats order, and putting him at Ft Myers last year was quite by accident. Although he does have 4 early errors, he's obviously yet agian, trying to prove the doubters wrong.

Seth, have you heard anything within the organization that suggests he's a legitimate prospect as a utility man, let alone a starting SS some day?

They wouldn't say he is a prospect or not, but I think it's telling that they have him starting most every day at SS in AA. Yesterday, we were all surprised that he did so well in FM, and I'm sure they weren't expecting it either. However, for them to keep him moving up as they have shows a lot about what they think. He's young. He's pretty fast. He is a singles-only hitter, and he'll have to prove himself at SS before anyone's going to anoint him as a possible SS of the future, but there are certainly signs that they are now willing to find out.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

He is a terrific athlete. He's a big guy, and he's got average speed. He gets his steals by being smart and, at least in part, surprising the defense. Kind of like Corey Koskie. Koskie stole 27 bases one year because they weren't expecting it. Never stole more than 11 in a season after that.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

They wouldn't say he is a prospect or not, but I think it's telling that they have him starting most every day at SS in AA. Yesterday, we were all surprised that he did so well in FM, and I'm sure they weren't expecting it either. However, for them to keep him moving up as they have shows a lot about what they think. He's young. He's pretty fast. He is a singles-only hitter, and he'll have to prove himself at SS before anyone's going to anoint him as a possible SS of the future, but there are certainly signs that they are now willing to find out.

Thanks, Seth. What would it take for him to appear on your midseason Top 50 prospect list?

Also, Stuart Turner is having a strong start at the plate. Isn't he one that can go through 2 levels this year and ultimately zoom up your prospect list pretty quickly, as well?

#15 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

I thought Seth was the corny one - "Do I make you"?!? "Life is hard"!?! Wow...

Seth is the corny one. I was pretty proud of both the Austin Powers and the Johnny Cash references. Even though "Josue" isn't pronounced at all like Sue - as Seth would point out - I'll still stand behind both of those lines.

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

So is Yormen Landa done starting, or is he going to get his opportunity later? I thought it was supposed to be a 6 man rotation, but we're now on the second go around and only five have started.

I'm glad Eades pitched well, but if he doesn't figure out how to miss more bats he's never going to make a difference on the big club. Small sample size, but he's having issues striking out Appy and Midwest League guys; these batters swing at everything. Obviously it's only going to get more difficult at the higher levels.

Edited by nicksaviking, 11 April 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#17 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

The Miracle are easily the most interesting team (for me) to watch this year. Albeit, if they continue as they are...come middle June New Britain will be the most interesting team to watch.

Also, speaking of New Britain, any new word on when is Byron Buxton coming back?

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Another thread indicates Byron is out until May.....
Lighten up Francis....

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Another thread indicates Byron is out until May.....

As was assumed in late March when they announced the name of the injury. They said it was a "slow-healing" injury. Initially they said sprained wrist, but once the doctors had a chance to talk to him, they've been upfront that it would be awhile before he would be playing.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, Seth. What would it take for him to appear on your midseason Top 50 prospect list?

Also, Stuart Turner is having a strong start at the plate. Isn't he one that can go through 2 levels this year and ultimately zoom up your prospect list pretty quickly, as well?

Mejia would certainly be in the Top 50 now, but let's see how AA treats him for the next 6 weeks.

Stuart Turner was my choice for sleeper pick for hitters. I think he'll hit more than some seem to. I do think he could move, though, I don't know that he will. I'm not as worried about his bat as many seem to be.

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

So is Yormen Landa done starting, or is he going to get his opportunity later? I thought it was supposed to be a 6 man rotation, but we're now on the second go around and only five have started.

I'm glad Eades pitched well, but if he doesn't figure out how to miss more bats he's never going to make a difference on the big club. Small sample size, but he's having issues striking out Appy and Midwest League guys; these batters swing at everything. Obviously it's only going to get more difficult at the higher levels.

Landa throws gas! Not great control. He's in the bullpen now, but that's certainly something that can change.

They do have a 6-man rotation, but Sulbaran was supposed to start the day after he got traded. they've also had a couple of days off (scheduled or weather) so they've piggybacked a couple as well. As things get going, they'll get to the 6-man rotation.

#22 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Walker hit his 4th HR tonight in 9 games...