Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

The Twins set a Target Field attendance record today.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

In the wrong way. All time low: 20,650 sold tickets.

Let's see how many times it will be broken this season if things do not improve or if nobody is held accountable for this mess...

Maybe the bottom line will do what the amassing losses did not make happen: Make the immovable objects move and have the ownership finally clean house of this mess...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

I'm a world record holder!!!

...or something.

#3 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

They got a ways to go to beat some of those crowds of hundreds I was part of at the Met.

#4 sandbun

sandbun

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

It's worth remembering that April games are usually poorly attended; their 2nd game last season was also their 2nd worse attended home game, only a make-up game against the Angels on Sept 9th kept it from being the low mark of the season. So it's not certain that this spells doom for the attendance the rest of the year. That said they're already down over 6,500 people after the first home series, and this one was later in April and had better weather then they got last year, although they also had a better draw in Detroit last year.

#5 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

This is year 4 of -.500 baseball. The novelty of a new stadium only lasts so long. However, the Twins have an "easy" (or not so easy it seems) solution. All they have to do is put a product on the field worth cheering for and fans will show up (unlike other teams' fans who sometimes won't show up even if the product on the field is good).

Edited by Reider, 10 April 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#6 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

It was a sad day at the park today. There might have been no more then ten thousand people in the stands. Everyone was treated to bad pitching and a dead Baseball team.

#7 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

I say "Good". This is what the Twins deserve. A rotten team should not be supported, and that's what we've got. Put a decent product on the field and people will come back. But, the truth is, the Twins are not capable of holding themselves accountable. Showing up is not good enough. Putting nine warm bodies on the field does not make a team. Giving Gardy two more years after an historic run of losing baseball is not the way to build excitement. I ain't going back to Target Field until there is a reason to cheer. Let the Pohlads taste the bitter dregs of "worst attendance" in baseball for a few years and see if they can tear themselves away from hedge-funding long enough to actually deal with the reality of owning a MLB franchise.

#8 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

Despite the bad on field product, the Organization was able to triple it's earnings last year. The Twins have the sixth highest earnings in Baseball. Things will have to get a lot worse before the Pohlad's get nicked.

Edited by Highabove, 11 April 2014 - 01:45 AM.

#9 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

It was a sad day at the park today. There might have been no more then ten thousand people in the stands. Everyone was treated to bad pitching and a dead Baseball team.

There are a lot of exciting games throughout the season. Unfortunately today wasn't one of them. The Twins flat out got out-played at home. Fans who didn't attend today didn't miss much.

#10 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

Weekday games in April, May and September have never drawn well and never will. If they have < 25,000 on Saturday or Sunday, that would be a bad sign.

#11 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

The annual and average attendance has gone down every year since 2010. After the 2010 season the Twins started cutting payroll and they've been a -.500 team ever since. Coincidence? I think not. There will still be lots of fans in attendance this year, but don't be surprised if another new low is set.

#12 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

I'm proud to have played a part in this record setting event by staying home.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Yup, cut payroll every single year (they got 25 million more in revenue this year, and added a couple million.....), and get worst every year.....your attendance is going to drop. And it should. I hope it gets worse and worse, attendance wise, frankly.
Lighten up Francis....

#14 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Yup, cut payroll every single year (they got 25 million more in revenue this year, and added a couple million.....), and get worst every year.....your attendance is going to drop. And it should. I hope it gets worse and worse, attendance wise, frankly.

Maybe Selig can announce a new contraction plan at the ASG. That should brighten up the whole summer.

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

To be clear, I hope they win it all, and attendance is awesome.....but since I don't expect that first part......
Lighten up Francis....

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,250 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Maybe Selig can announce a new contraction plan at the ASG. That should brighten up the whole summer.

If the contraction plan included moving the Rays to Minneapolis, I'd at least listen.

#17 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

I say the record will be set at 15,000 this year. We should have a prediction thread about this!
Do or do not. There is no try.

#18 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

If the contraction plan included moving the Rays to Minneapolis, I'd at least listen.

How about keep the Twins in Minneapolis, and move the Rays to St. Paul? (Actually, that would be pretty cool...)

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

It's worth remembering that April games are usually poorly attended; their 2nd game last season was also their 2nd worse attended home game, only a make-up game against the Angels on Sept 9th kept it from being the low mark of the season. So it's not certain that this spells doom for the attendance the rest of the year. That said they're already down over 6,500 people after the first home series, and this one was later in April and had better weather then they got last year, although they also had a better draw in Detroit last year.

This is true, and this may be the season low, but the trend is definitely down overall (season tickets are still down too, right?). Wouldn't be surprised to see another record low next April (or even this September) if this season's results are like the last 3 seasons.

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

And is it bad that I sort of enjoy the bad team, in terms of attendance and ticket demand? Pretty sweet picking up $2 tickets on the secondary market and finding a friendly usher with an empty section... and I don't feel bad about chasing my toddler around the concourse and missing a few innings at a time either.

Not as fun as plentiful, cheap seats for those good teams at the Dome 2001-2009, but a decent substitute!

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,250 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

How about keep the Twins in Minneapolis, and move the Rays to St. Paul? (Actually, that would be pretty cool...)

Competition is a good thing. This region supports winners (maybe even 2 winners? Pretty cool, indeed....)

#22 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'd buy that for a dollar.

#23 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

NO loyalists today? Everything will be alright? Terry has a plan and its working great and no way 3 of our top prospects we are really counting on could all miss extended time this year.

Don't worry be happy! Best way to stay happy is by not spending any money on this team!!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I say the record will be set at 15,000 this year. We should have a prediction thread about this!

Well the floor is likely driven by the season tickets purchased for a chance at the all-star game. I'd be surprised if we dipped too much below 15,000 for many games.

#25 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Well the floor is likely driven by the season tickets purchased for a chance at the all-star game. I'd be surprised if we dipped too much below 15,000 for many games.

This year.....tickets sales are highly correlated with the records of the past, not future hope. Given no ASG next year, and a possible 90+ loss season again, next year could look bad.
Lighten up Francis....

#26 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

The Twins will never release a game attendance number below seventeen thousand.
Those seats have been purchased every game by the Season Tickets holders.
There will always be a few tickets purchased outside of the season tickets.
We will probably not see an announced total below nineteen thousand.
The actual number in the Ballpark is another story. My guess yesterday was 10 to 12 thousand at Target Field. You could count the number of people in the top deck.

Edited by Highabove, 11 April 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#27 CRArko

CRArko

Master of all I survey.

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationThe Pandorica.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

I know. And it only happens here, too. For example the Rays are so good, I'm sure they only play to standing room only crowds.

#28 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

The Twins will never release a game attendance number below seventeen thousand.
Those seats have been purchased every game by the Season Tickets holders.

I think there are ~17,000 full season equivalent ticket holders, but that doesn't necessarily mean there are ~17,000 season tickets purchased for any individual game. Not sure if some partial plans outweigh any others, but maybe Plan A is 19,000 and Plan D is only 15,000, etc. But they try to keep the plans pretty even, so you're mostly right.

If there are 17,000 season tickets, and they only drew 20,000 total yesterday, that's pretty bad regardless!

#29 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

Frankly I feel like I endured too rough of a winter to waste a beautiful afternoon at Target Field. That will change in a few weeks regardless of how badly the team does, but to be honest I haven't watched a game since Saturday (on t.v.) and don't plan to watch any in the near future. The product can't even compete with a bike ride or an afternoon in the garage.

#30 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

And is it bad that I sort of enjoy the bad team, in terms of attendance and ticket demand? Pretty sweet picking up $2 tickets on the secondary market and finding a friendly usher with an empty section... and I don't feel bad about chasing my toddler around the concourse and missing a few innings at a time either.

Not as fun as plentiful, cheap seats for those good teams at the Dome 2001-2009, but a decent substitute!

You ever hear the saying , "you get what you pay for"?

There is a reason the tix are 2 bucks.