Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game 20 - Twins vs Royals - 4/27/12

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,020 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Twins Lineup: Denard Span CF Jamey Carroll SS Joe Mauer DH Justin Morneau 1B Ryan Doumit C Danny Valencia 3B Trevor Plouffe RF Ben Revere LF Alexi Casilla 2B SP: Carl Pavano Royals Lineup: Jarrod Dyson CF Alex Gordon LF Billy Butler DH Eric Hosmer 1B Jeff Francoeur RF Mike Moustakas 3B Yuniesky Betancourt 2B Brayan Pena C Alcides Escobar SS SP: Everett Teaford

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Sweet start.......sigh!!!

#3 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Here we go!!!! M&M boys with back to back RBI's!!.................nice bunt Carroll

#4 Scheherezade

Scheherezade

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Nice to see Plouffe have a quality at bat. Good homer!

#5 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thank you Trevor Plouffe!!!! Too bad for Valencia, nothing wrong with that swing, unlucky

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Ha, not too active tonight with the NFL draft going on I see. Either that or no one is too satisfied that the only guy most people consider a competent starter has already given up 5 runs in 6 innings. Edit: 5 runs in 5 innings, my mistake.

Edited by nicksaviking, 27 April 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#7 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Only 4 of the 5 runs were earned... to be fair to the mustache. Although another start without a quality start. Ugh.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#8 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Danny.....hit the ball the other way!

#9 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Close enough

#10 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Wonder if Casilla will keep up the offense all year?

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

He never does. Usually he plays well right about the time people start whispering about replacing him, stays hot for a month, than gets injured and gets replaced anyway. I'm thinking Dozier T - 30 days due to a pulled hamstring.

#12 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Okay, we got this game to our bullpen without being behind! Thats gotta be worth something...

#13 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yep, it's worth a 1 run deficit.

#14 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

We got hosed big time in this game. The blown call on Revere would have just given him another shot. But the difference between 1 run/2 still on/only 1 out and inning over if HUGE.

#15 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Can't get an out when we need it the most, can't get a hit when we need it the most....just frustrating.

#16 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Can't get an out when we need it the most, can't get a hit when we need it the most....just frustrating.

We've gotten a couple of clutch hits in this game. Of course, one of them was called a double play instead.

#17 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

We've gotten a couple of clutch hits in this game. Of course, one of them was called a double play instead.

Yes we have and that play was a tough one to take but the opportunities have been there to take control of this game and it's just always one hit short.

#18 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yes we have and that play was a tough one to take but the opportunities have been there to take control of this game and it's just always one hit short.

The missed chances are frustrating, but the offense as put 6 runs on the board. That should be enough for a W.

#19 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

The missed chances are frustrating, but the offense as put 6 runs on the board. That should be enough for a W.

Yep, agreed but once again a day late and a dollar short.

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

This team used to win most of their one run games. The last couple years it seems almost every game is a one run decision but it ends in a loss. I'm not sure if the players just bought into the psychological impact of the Metrodome, but they definately aren't taking advantage of having a ton of runners in scoring postion.

#21 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Between this game and the first and last games of the Boston series, that's 3 losses as frustrating as any I can remember. This one was unreal. I swear this umpiring crew had an almost sexual need for Kansas City to win this game. I don't understand why Gray was out there. Yesterday was an off day.

#22 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

What is the major league record for worst ERA by a teams starting pitchers???? I am guessing it was a 1990's Texas staff. I have a strong feeling that this team will top them all.

#23 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

This team used to win most of their one run games. The last couple years it seems almost every game is a one run decision but it ends in a loss. I'm not sure if the players just bought into the psychological impact of the Metrodome, but they definately aren't taking advantage of having a ton of runners in scoring postion.

I think those instances are magnified because the pitching is so horrible. The Twins have scored enough runs to win several games but pitching, both starting and relieving has let them down. League worst in both HR and ERA, I believe. In addition, I thought the bullpen was horribly managed in the 8th. Perkins or Burton should have been in there, if not to start the inning, they should have put in instead of Gray. Also hated the bunt with Revere. Good plan if they just needed one run, but that wasn't the case.

Edited by Alex, 27 April 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,505 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

The Twins have scored enough runs to win several games.

Before tonight the Twins are 13th in the AL in runs scored... Definitely not enough runs
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Before tonight the Twins are 13th in the AL in runs scored... Definitely not enough runs

---I don't think the implication there was that the Twins have consistently been one of the best offensive teams in the league.

I read that statement as saying there have been several games in which the Twins scored enough run to win but didn't, which is correct. They've now lost 7 of 8 but there were 3 losses where they scored 6 runs and 1 where they scored 5. 5 or 6 runs should be enough to win.

#26 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

In general, I agree, but I believe they've only given up less than 4 runs in 2 games so far this season but scored more than four in 8 (three times in the last week they scored 5+ runs and lost). Point is, it's not going to be enough runs because of the pitching staff. The hitters have shown they can get on base, and I think that they'll start scoring more runs as those hits come with two outs and/or runners in scoring position.

On the pitching side, I do hope the runs will come down a little, but I also wouldn't be surprised if this pattern continues because the staff is much more of a mess and doesn't show as much in terms of potential as the hitting.

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Worst pitching staff ever.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#28 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Nine innings, zero strikeouts. It takes some impeccable control to be able to pitch to that level of contact.