Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Daniel Ortiz - 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

The news that Willingham likely will not be traded until after the trade deadline puts a damper on any quick promotion for Ortiz. If I were running things, I would add him to the 40 man in September after Rochester is done and give him some time as the 4th OF. Of course I also would have traded Willingham by now.

Ortiz has not been spectacular yet at AAA, but he is doing fine. I would envision his 2015 as a year where he makes it or starts to break it (it wouldn't be over for him if he struggled in AAA next year, but it would be close).

I still view Ortiz as OF support for some combo of Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, and Rosario. I really hope that the Twins just stop with this inane adding of marginal OFs from outside the organization. I have never understood it instead of giving your own a chance. Evan Bigley and Garrett Jones probably wonder that too.

• mike wants wins likes this

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

Ortiz is holding steady with a .718 OPS, though it is a 122 point drop from his AA output this season, in almost the exact same number of plate appearances. He is hot to start August, so hopefully he ends the season strong and can get a solid look next spring.