Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Acquire Infielder Eduardo Nunez From Yankees

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Probably the worst fielding infielder since Jose Offerman.

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ez-From-Yankees

#3 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Irrelevant. I'm sure he's coming to be an outfielder and fourth catcher.

#4 Dbohnk

Dbohnk

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

If only we could combine his hitting and Florimon's fielding we could have a decent player.:D

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

That is slightly overstated, especially for the team that fielded Mike Lamb and Brian Buscher at 3B, Nishioka at SS and 2B and Brendan Harris and Trevor Plouffe at shortstop among others... Actually (other than in SS) he is better than the aforementioned...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

That is slightly overstated, especially for the team that fielded Mike Lamb and Brian Buscher at 3B, Nishioka at SS and 2B and Brendan Harris and Trevor Plouffe at shortstop among others... Actually (other than in SS) he is better than the aforementioned...

Give credit to the Twins FO for acknowledging the current problems at SS had to be addressed. In effect, Butera for Nunez. Now you have a veteran ML bat with a chip on his shoulder and incentive to prove himself worthy. (You, I and Terry Ryan were the first ones on this one, strange bedfellows, indeed!:D)

Edited by jokin, 07 April 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#7 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

Give credit to the Twins FO for acknowledging the current problems at SS had to be addressed. In effect, Butera for Nunez. Now you have a veteran ML bat with a chip on his shoulder and incentive to prove himself worthy.

And money in the bank to sign somebody when the time is right, if the current answer at short isn't in the organization.

#8 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'm fine with this deal from the standpoint that I don't feel the Twins gave up a ton to get Nunez. But when I look at his slash line, I can't help but think James Beresford could produce about as well and play better defense. Beresford's knock is that he doesn't show power, but Nunez's .690 career OPS wouldn't be too tough to match.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

And money in the bank to sign somebody when the time is right, if the current answer at short isn't in the organization.

Welcome to the strange bedfellows. I'm surprised at the early indifference from the TD community- guess it's time to recalibrate that "defensive SS...makes no difference what he bats" meme.

#10 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I don't get this. I don't. I give up.

We have two infielders named Eduardo! MY BRAIN IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

I don't get this. I don't. I give up.

Plus we now get day-to-day game comparisons between the guy who was released by the Twins so they could claim Florimon, who is also the same guy who beat out Nunez for a spot on the Yankees. This soap opera is going to get good.

#12 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to the strange bedfellows. I'm surprised at the early indifference from the TD community- guess it's time to recalibrate that "defensive SS...makes no difference what he bats" meme.

The willingness to admit that pitch-to-contact has a negative macro effect on your own team's offense is seldom discussed, but it's real and tangible and on display every time a defensive savant like Florimon picks up a bat.

#13 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

This is about making room for Gonsalves. They probably started shopping Sulbarran when he came to camp out of shape. Nunez brings depth, and little else. Does he have options?

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Put it this way, he's better than Bartlett at the plate. He also is terrible in the field.

#15 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Pretty ok with this. I was hopeful that he was replacing Bartlett, though.

#16 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Pretty ok with this. I was hopeful that he was replacing Bartlett, though.

And that may yet come to pass.

#17 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, I just read that Bartlett was DL'd. He may not be back.

#18 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, I just read that Bartlett was DL'd. He may not be back.

That's my guess.

#19 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

You wouldn't complain if we had two named Miguel...

#20 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

I hate to admit this, but I honestly know next to nothing about Nunez. Hasn't he filled in before for Jeter when he's missed some time?

Is he really as bad defensively as posters here are saying?

#21 savvyspy

savvyspy

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

The best part of this deal was being at the game, having the trade announced, and Florimon getting a base hit 30 seconds later.

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,118 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

I hate to admit this, but I honestly know next to nothing about Nunez. Hasn't he filled in before for Jeter when he's missed some time?

Is he really as bad defensively as posters here are saying?

I've seen him a handful of times. He can boot the routine but he can run and throw. All in All... I think his D is better than some fear but nowhere close to Florimon.

Its a nice depth pickup and he might run over Florimon if Pedro can't at least eclipse the Mendoza Line.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#23 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

I've seen him a handful of times. He can boot the routine but he can run and throw. All in All... I think his D is better than some fear but nowhere close to Florimon.

Its a nice depth pickup and he might run over Florimon if Pedro can't at least eclipse the Mendoza Line.

Is it me, or does it seem this team loves to swap out utility infielders and 4th OF constantly, one no better than the last?

Clete Thomas, Mastro, Escobar x 2, Pressley....I bet if you went back 8 years you find at least one INF and one OF each year. In many cases two.

Aside from the fact that they are human beings with emotions, families, etc.....you don't lose anything. Just kind of bizarre to me.

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

Fair assessment, all in all. But "IF"? At this point it's pretty evident that the time off from appendectomy surgery should have meant Florimon starting out in Rochester for a bit in the hope to get some chance of returning to .600+ OPS-level of timing at the plate. As of now, Ed Brinkman and Ray Oyler have aroused from their eternal rest in hopes that Florimon can somehow stay in the Twins line-up and seize the "Most Futile Hitting SS of All-time" mantle from their headstones.

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

Is it me, or does it seem this team loves to swap out utility infielders and 4th OF constantly, one no better than the last?

Clete Thomas, Mastro, Escobar x 2, Pressley....I bet if you went back 8 years you find at least one INF and one OF each year. In many cases two.

Aside from the fact that they are human beings with emotions, families, etc.....you don't lose anything. Just kind of bizarre to me.

Who can forget the glory days of Eric Komatsu and Sean Burroughs?

#26 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Reasonable pick up.

Most players hit better from 26-30 than they do from 22-25 so he can grow into a good utility hitter.

Yankees saw a better future in the marginal guys they kept. He is at a crossroads and fighting for a major league career.

Looks like his future is as a utility man.

Give him a long stay in AAA playing several positions and see if he wants to work his tail off to get back on track.

Edited by jorgenswest, 07 April 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#27 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

I don't get this move. am I over valuing Sulbaren? I like his potential far more than than the guy we got for him. From what I can tell this guy doesn't bring anything that we don't already have. In fact this with either block someone or force us to get rid of someone. Please someone save my brain from exploding and give me good reasons for this trade?

#28 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,947 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

Someday they should acquire players that can both hit and play defense. SS will not be fixed in FA next year.......so still no answer for sometime.

#29 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

I don't get this move. am I over valuing Sulbaren? I like his potential far more than than the guy we got for him. From what I can tell this guy doesn't bring anything that we don't already have. In fact this with either block someone or force us to get rid of someone. Please someone save my brain from exploding and give me good reasons for this trade?

The chances of Sulbaran becoming any good is pretty low, so at least we got a shortstop who can hit. According to someone else in this topic, Miguel showed up overweight, kinda signaling his possible decline.

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Wonder if it would have been better just to pick up one of the recent DFA guys from another org (Triunfel?).