Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Chris Herrmann Promoted

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Colabello hasn't played much OF in his career. That would give us the best offense. I just don't know how the defense would do.

In this scenario is Kubel DH? If so then it makes a ton more sense to play Kubel in the field and DH Cola.

#42 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

The problem with Herrmann is that he can't hit. He's a below replacement level corner outfielder without a doubt. His only conceivable role is as a 25th man who can be the 3rd catcher and 5th outfielder. He may be the most overrated player in the organization at this point... it's just a strange phenomenon.

If he starts a game in LF, he will be the worst player to start a MLB game in LF all year.

Just to note... he's actually the 26th man on the roster and only up because of an injury. I don't know what people expect from him. Why are we expecting greatness? He's a backup, used in a role, when there is need. Backups get starts once in awhile too to keep fresh. There's no overrating. I don't think anyone's claiming greatness.

#43 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

With Arcia and Willingham unavailable, I would like to see
Dozier 2b
Mauer 1b
Plouffe 3b
Colabello DH
Kubel RF
Pinto C
Hermann LF
Hicks CF
Florimon SS

bench
Arcia OF
Willingham OF
Escobar Inf
Suzuki C

#44 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Congrats to Chris Herrmann, I'm happy for him.

#45 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Outside of his ability to be a third catcher, how is Herrmann as versatile as Parmelee? And in what way is a third catcher not a waste of a roster spot for a dugout therapist to help Gardenhire cope with his phobia of catcher injury doomsday scenarios?

Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
Herrmann can play RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

He's also on the 40 man roster. Parmelee isn't.

#46 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,670 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Right move, probably overdue.

#47 lukingood

lukingood

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Yes, good call!

#48 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

I think some people are being a little hard on Herrmann. He has some decent seasons in the minors. He's only 26 which by Twins standards is young.

#49 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,377 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

Just to note... he's actually the 26th man on the roster and only up because of an injury. I don't know what people expect from him. Why are we expecting greatness? He's a backup, used in a role, when there is need. Backups get starts once in awhile too to keep fresh. There's no overrating. I don't think anyone's claiming greatness.

Herrmann's not a great hitter, he's serviceable both behind the plate and in the corner outfield spots and he hits left handed. He reminds me of Chris Gimenez who has bounced around the league for some time now. Gimenez has more power, less contact and probably poorer defense. To say Herrmann can play first or third is unproven. He played first for a couple innings and to my knowledge hasn't played third since college.

#50 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

Herrmann's not a great hitter, he's serviceable both behind the plate and in the corner outfield spots and he hits left handed. He reminds me of Chris Gimenez who has bounced around the league for some time now. Gimenez has more power, less contact and probably poorer defense. To say Herrmann can play first or third is unproven. He played first for a couple innings and to my knowledge hasn't played third since college.

1 minor league game at 3rd. Not qualified. And CF? 11 games in A+ ball, in 2010. Not qualified.

#51 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Herrmann's career AAA line: .227/.297/.312

Herrmann's career MLB line: .189/.268/.297

And he was only moderately above average in AA, and if you consider his age it really wasn't noteworthy at all. The guy can't hit... he will continue to prove this over and over as called upon.

#52 LaBombo

LaBombo

3 TD warning points and the death sentence in 12 systems.

• Members
  • 5,805 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
Herrmann can play RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

He's also on the 40 man roster. Parmelee isn't.

Yes! Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
Herrmann has been used at RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

There's a huge difference. Bartlett put on a clinic regarding that subject today.

Also, you mentioned catcher in a way that made it sound like you believe having three catchers has value. Why?

#53 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

Just another thread clearly showing the Twins should be using these spots for quality guys like DeRosa.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#54 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Yes! Parmelee can play RF and 1B.
Herrmann has been used at RF and 1B and 3B and LF and CF and Catcher.

There's a huge difference. Bartlett put on a clinic regarding that subject today.

Also, you mentioned catcher in a way that made it sound like you believe having three catchers has value. Why?

just a hunch, but I'm guessing that Hermann ends up closer to Bartlett if there was a WAR measure strictly for versatility, than say:

a Mike Aviles,
let alone a Chris Parmelee,
let alone a Emilio Bonifacio,
let alone a Ben Zobrist.

There are successive levels and thresholds that Hermann has yet to prove he's even close to or can even realistically aspire to....right now, he's below replacement value, on a versatility scale or any other measure of value, until proven different.

#55 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

Herrmann's minor league time in the outfield absolutely shows him to be an above average-to-good corner OF, and he likely really could fill in in an emergency in CF. This gives them more options with Pinto right now, and that is good. I would imagine tomorrow's lineup to be:

Dozier, 2B
Mauer, 1B
Colabello, DH
Plouffe, 3B
Pinto, C
Kubel, RF
Hicks, CF
Herrmann, LF
Florimon, SS

#56 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Herrmann's minor league time in the outfield absolutely shows him to be an above average-to-good corner OF, and he likely really could fill in in an emergency in CF. This gives them more options with Pinto right now, and that is good. I would imagine tomorrow's lineup to be:

Dozier, 2B
Mauer, 1B
Colabello, DH
Plouffe, 3B
Pinto, C
Kubel, RF
Hicks, CF
Herrmann, LF
Florimon, SS

I like it, but Gardy's guy, Zuke, gets the home opener. Kubel moves up to the clean-up spot.

#57 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

Herrmann's minor league time in the outfield absolutely shows him to be an above average-to-good corner OF, and he likely really could fill in in an emergency in CF.

If I recall correctly, the Hermannator played a game or two at CF in relief of Clete last year

#58 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,377 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

If I recall correctly, the Hermannator played a game or two at CF in relief of Clete last year

BBRef says Herrmann played 21 games right, three in left. No games in center field.

#59 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

BBRef says Herrmann played 21 games right, three in left. No games in center field.

I stand corrected. Regardless, I'm happy he's up, and the Twins have a back up outfielder/super utility guy who has proven ability to play the outfield. I don't care that he's a poor hitter, I was ok with Presley in the outfield 4th fielder guy who can't hit last year.

#60 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on his versatility. He's a decent corner outfielder who can catch, in a pinch. He cannot play infield. And he has no business in center. His hitting is fair to middling. All that said, I think he's a better option than Bartlett in the outfield and at the plate. But they actually complement one another, because Bartlett is still a pretty good infielder. And of course there's the whole lefty/righty thing.

Still, the thought of both these guys on the bench makes me shudder. Neither will put fear in an opposing pitcher. Neither has enough speed to steal a base, though first to third and second to home are above average. Neither is a plus defender at any position. And we still don't have guy who can sub in center. I wonder what might have happened yesterday with Presley in left.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."