Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Indians, 4/5@12:05pm CT

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Gametime forecast: 36 deg, clear, 0%PoP

Twins:
SP, Gibson

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Colabello DH
Plouffe 3B
Kubel RF
Pinto C
Hicks CF
Florimon SS

Indians:
SP, Carrasco

Morgan CF
Swisher 1B
Kipnis 2B
Santana DH
Brantley LF
Cabrera SS
Murphy RF
Gomes C
Chisenhall 3B

Okay, Brian. Tag! You're it!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duck Duck Duck Duck Duck Duck... Goose (or gray/grey duck)!!!

(Hey watch where you are pinching... The Game isn't played like that... Top of the Head for Goose... Just like the Duck part)

Thanks ChiTown

Things to Think about:

1. Arcia -- I can see folks are already up in arms over Arcia on the Bench today. I'm not... He's wearing a snowmobile suit under his uniform and he's 2 for 18. It isn't Kubel that has Arcia on the bench today. It's Colabello... Colabello is swinging better right now. I think he should play right now. Arcia will not regress spending a cold day on the bench.

2. Kyle Gibson -- Kyle was much anticipated last year and we were a little underwhelmed. Let him start a new with brand new anticipation as we all hope that Gibson becomes a valuable member of this team going forward. Let it all begin today!!!

3. Colabello -- Already mentioned in Thought #1... But worthy of his own thought. I've always been intrigued by his power... It's obviously legit but I spent last year watching him and wondering how he could possibly be a consistent hitter against MLB pitching when he stood 15 feet from the plate. It forced him to step sideways into everything and that forced everything to RF. It left him vulnerable to the outside and compensation to reach the outside pitch left in vulnerable to the inside pitch. He's much closer to the plate now and my concerns about him are starting to fade. It's early yet but I feel optimistic about what he can deliver for us in 2014.

4. Brian Dozier -- He had a great game yesterday and I'm a Dozier believer but I still can't help but wonder if his style would be better suited in an RBI Spot down in the order. The Twins don't have a legit leadoff guy. Hicks will eventually lead off but not now... Let him find his major league feet. Until then Dozier is the default lead off guy.

5. Super Human Powers -- If you could have any super human power what would you choose? I'm going invisibility... The Rooms that I could walk into and conversations I could creep on. I could hang out in the oval office undetected... The Twins Front Office... The nuance and understanding of things would truly increase if I was truly curious. For a good time... I could make things seemingly float... staplers and stuff would seem weightless and move across the room and I could watch the faces of people trying to comprehend what is happening. Clothes would be optional for me... I could be naked 24/7 and no one would know. The biggest problem that I would encounter would be my chatty nature. My constant talking would certainly give myself away.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 05 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Ok, this is what I was worried about when the team brought Kubel north.
Arcia should not be sitting on the bench, especially against a RH pitcher.

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'm not gonna worry about that yet until we get 50 games in and he's only played 30 of them. Or something like that. One game off is hardly a trend yet.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

He also clearly has issues with the cold . . .

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'm not gonna worry about that yet until we get 50 games in and he's only played 30 of them. Or something like that. One game off is hardly a trend yet.

Doesn't matter to me if it's a trend or not.
Arcia has a future on this team, Kubel does not. Arcia should be starting every game against a RH pitcher, unless he's hurt.

#6 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yeah, but I do like the face mask. It's kinda superhero-ish looking.

#7 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

I just don't get it. With a team as offensively challenged as ours, why would you not put all your LHs out there against a RH starter. Take every edge you can get.

[SIZE=1](Watch Colabello go 4/5)[/SIZE]

#8 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Kubels spot should be a RH batter to spell Arcia like this. Not the same and taking at-bats away against the pitchers we want him hitting against. Ugh.

#9 CRArko

CRArko

Consulting Detective

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  • LocationRight here, silly.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

My understanding is that they're waiting on the next shipment of vibranium from Wakanda for Arcia's new bat.

#10 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Some keys to today's tilt vs. the Indians.

1) Mauer needs to get on track.
We can all hope to look back in a few weeks when Mauer is putting up his usual numbers, and see that it was just a coincidence that he started slowly after missing the last 6 weeks of 2013 with concussion issues.
But, after witnessing first hand what that type of injury did to Justin Morneau, one can't help but get a little worried. He has looked a step behind, both at the plate and in the field.
SSS aside, it would seem he sees the ball well off Carrasco (5/8 career), so hopefully today will be a good start towards putting any of those concerns behind us.

2) Gibson needs to go deep.
Just 4 games into the season, and the bullpen has already been leaned on heavily, and has been very ineffective thus far.
Even the one good start we've gotten so far (Correia) was just a 6 inning start.
Gibson has the most upside of anyone in the rotation, and also has the best chance at being a key component of our next playoff team, so I'm hoping that he can take the first step in establishing himself as the ace of this staff today.
Of course, it is his first start of the year, and he seemed to tire last year, his first full season back from TJ surgery, so I'm sure he'll be on a pitch count, likely in the 85 pitch range.
This means he will have to pitch efficiently, as I would like to see him go 7+ strong innings today.

3)Can Colabello continue to force the issue?
I think it was reasonable to expect Cola would get solid playing time against lefties coming into the year, but if he can continue to do well against righties I don't see any reason why he can't force his way into the everyday lineup.
The key for him is to just continue to hold his own, as I think any kind of prolonged slump against righties could result in a loss of playing time, with Arcia, Kubel, and Pinto all available options for DH or corner OF spots against righties.
I have to admit that I wasn't high on Cola having much MLB potential, but I won't mind if I'm proven wrong.
Some guys are just late bloomers, and though I doubt he'll ever be any kind of impact player, I don't see why he can't go on to have a Garret Jones type career, a useful bat and a legit MLB player for several more years.

4)Fundamentals.
They need to improve. This has been an issue for a couple of years now. Not backing up throws, throwing off balance, throwing to the wrong base, baserunning errors, striking out with runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs, etc.
The Twins do not have enough talent to compete if they cannot play almost perfect fundamental baseball. There is especially no excuse, IMO, for these fundamental errors when ST just ended. They just spent a month in Florida going over all these things every day.
I don't think we've seen a game yet (again, only 4 games) where there hasn't been at least 1 bonehead fundamental mistake. I'd like to see them play a fundamentally perfect game today.

I like our chances today if we execute these 4 keys to the game, and get some good relief pitching to finish it off.

#11 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Arcia will NOT be playing everyday. Nor should he. Expect everyone on the roster to get his turn starting. Yes, even Bartlett. Kubel is a part of this team this year. Arcia is a part of this team this year. Beyond this year, neither is guaranteed a place. It is assumed Arcia has a long term future with the team because he is young and has potential. Parmalee had potential too, but he didn't produce and look where he is now. If Kubel produces, he should definitely play more. Will he remain with the team beyond this year? Who knows. If he plays better than Arcia throughout the year, I say yes. It is still early in the season. Gardenhire needs to play all his players to determine what they can and cannot do in various situations. Arcia is a streaky player as seen last year. So far this year he doesn't seem to be able to handle the cold weather. So be it. Let Kubel play if it leads to the Twins winning the game. I want to see a winning team. After three losing seasons, I would rather see the Twins win with veterans, than see them lose with prospects.

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Mort says it's so cold !
https://encrypted-tb...pLVhUvN4RStkBCo

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#13 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

hahaha, winston ... love it!

#14 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

So I read somewhere Pinto was taking grounders at first base.

Can we expect to see him starting there on occasion?

#15 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

5. Super Human Powers -- If you could have any super human power what would you choose? I'm going invisibility... The Rooms that I could walk into and conversations I could creep on. I could hang out in the oval office undetected... The Twins Front Office... The nuance and understanding of things would truly increase if I was truly curious. For a good time... I could make things seemingly float... staplers and stuff would seem weightless and move across the room and I could watch the faces of people trying to comprehend what is happening. Clothes would be optional for me... I could be naked 24/7 and no one would know. The biggest problem that I would encounter would be my chatty nature. My constant talking would certainly give myself away.

Uhh... the invisibility part was cool, but I'd keep my clothes on with the small chance of my invisibility suddenly not working anymore. ;)

#16 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

Agreed. He has played all four games thus far and is 2/18 and has 6 K's in 19 PA. It's not like he is tearing the cover off the ball. If he sits every five games to start the season, I have no problem with that. It's not like we miss him in the field either. He has to hit to play.

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Uhh... the invisibility part was cool, but I'd keep my clothes on with the small chance of my invisibility suddenly not working anymore. ;)

If Hollow Man is historically accurate, I don't think you have a choice. It is the person who is invisible, if you wore clothes they would be visible.

#18 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Duck Duck Duck Duck Duck Duck... Goose!!!

So tempted to edit this to correct it to Gray Duck! And you're from Minnesota????

#19 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Ok, this is what I was worried about when the team brought Kubel north.
Arcia should not be sitting on the bench, especially against a RH pitcher.

I think this is a legitimate concern, although I won't get too concerned about it unless it happens again tomorrow.

#20 CRArko

CRArko

Consulting Detective

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  • LocationRight here, silly.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

So tempted to edit this to correct it to Gray Duck! And you're from Minnesota????

Grey Goose?

#21 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

By the way, WTH happened to Pelf last night? How do you go from hitless through 4 to completely falling apart in the 6th?

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Can someone please clarify why Arcia's numbers through 4 games are suddenly relevant when my (Note to Twins) thread was bombarded with posters going out of their way to tell me how irrelevant any numbers are this early in the season?

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Agreed, I think they are just as irrelevant.

#24 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

I didn't see the 36 degree temp. BRRRRRRRRRRR. Better hit the sweet spot today boys or those hands will be stinging.

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

To clarify, I don't have a problem giving him a day off now and then, but I think the time to do it is against a tough lefty, which we will be facing on Monday.

#26 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

By the way, WTH happened to Pelf last night? How do you go from hitless through 4 to completely falling apart in the 6th?

Dick and Bert were right for once. Pelf had the ball sinking for three innings and suddenly not so much. Also, he lost command of the strike zone, he walked his last two hitters on nine pitches, I believe.

And now for something completely different. Today's game is on Fox Sports 1. I haven't followed this too closely, but I presume Fox, like NBC, has a cable sports channel. Again assuming that they are going to run their Saturday regular season games on the cable sports channel and then run post-season games on the regular network. AmIright?

#27 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

I think they are just as irrelevant.

And I wasn't joking about the cold and Arcia. I also think that nothing is keeping Gardy from putting Colabello in the lineup right now.

#28 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Can someone please clarify why Arcia's numbers through 4 games are suddenly relevant when my (Note to Twins) thread was bombarded with posters going out of their way to tell me how irrelevant any numbers are this early in the season?

Numbers probably not as important as "non-competitive at-bats". If a guy looks hopeless more than half the time, it probably is time for them to take a day off. I'm not saying that is the case with Arcia, I just haven't seen enough regular season ball (day games on work days).

#29 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Dick and Bert were right for once. Pelf had the ball sinking for three innings and suddenly not so much. Also, he lost command of the strike zone, he walked his last two hitters on nine pitches, I believe.

And now for something completely different. Today's game is on Fox Sports 1. I haven't followed this too closely, but I presume Fox, like NBC, has a cable sports channel. Again assuming that they are going to run their Saturday regular season games on the cable sports channel and then run post-season games on the regular network. AmIright?

Likely correct, though I hope they have Saturday games on the network at least some of the time going forward, especially given the MLB.tv blackout Saturday's that otherwise all but eliminates my Twins viewing (Cubs, White Sox, Reds, Cardinals, and Tigers get first dibs here in Northwest Indiana).

#30 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

I'm no expert on invisibility, but it seems to me, unless you also own invisible clothes, you would have to go naked. Otherwise there would be this set of clothes just standing around and my guess is you'd get noticed.