Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Brett Lee - 2014

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

Brett Lee Update 24

As the Miracle radio announcer said when Brett came off the mound, Brett didn't have his best stuff tonight. Far from it. In his last 2014 appearance (unless Daytona wins two games and Brett is in the pen for game 5), Brett went 5.2 innings giving up 5 runs (all earned), 8 hits and 4 BB. He struck out one, got 12 on ground outs and 1 via the fly. Brett also continued to bring rain--game was delayed at the start for over an hour. He will not get the decision--score was tied when Dougie Baseball went out to pull him.

Brett continued his mediocre post-season record in contrast to his good regular season record. Even with that he finished 2014 without giving up a triple or home run in 115 innings pitched. I will post a career summary after the Miracle finish.

#32 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

Brett Lee Wrap for 2014

Brett was drafted by the Twin in 2011 as a 10th rounder. Signed too late to play in GCL. Not a big prospect then.

In 2012, Brett spent the season in ETown. He was both a starter and reliever. His stats--43.2IP, 39Hits, 12BB, 48Ks. (with a 2.68 ERA and 1.17WHIP). Good numbers not top prospect numbers but intriguing enough for me to pick him as my AAP.

In 2013, Brett spent the whole season as a starter on a good Cedar Rapids team. He was arguably the ace of the staff in the second half when he threw 2 complete games. First half stats 4-4 with a 4.44 ERA (bizarre). He pitched 58.2IP giving up 68 hits, 18BB, and getting 44Ks. (1.47 WHIP) Second half, Brett looked like a top 5 prospect. (4-0 with an ERA of 1.41). 57.1 IP 42hits, 8BB, 45K (0.87 WHIP).

In 2014, Brett spent the whole season as a starter on the FSL champion Ft. Myers Miracle. First half stats 46.1 innings pitched. 48 hits, 9 walks, 22 punch outs. (1.22 WHIP). Second half 60.1 IP, 53 hits 24BB, 28K (1.28 WHIP). In the first half Brett went 5-1 with an ERA of 2.61; second half 5-4 with an ERA of 2.35. Note worthy to me (at least) Brett in 107 innings didn't give up a triple or HR in 2014.

So where does Brett stand on the Twins pitcher prospect list. Three or four years ago he would have been top 5. Twins system is deeper now, much deeper. My top 7 pitching prospects--Berrios, Meyer, May, Stewart, Wheeler, Duffey and Rogers are above Brett IMHO. There is another group (Hu, Gonsalves, etc.) that I believe Brett fits in with--maybe top 10, maybe not. I still believe Brett can be up in 2016 and be a back of rotation guy. Next year in New Britain will be key. His K rate went down this year. Will it go back up in 2015?? For the whole time Brett has been in the Twins organization, his ground ball rate has been outstanding, that must continue next year.

Brett will be available in the Rule V draft if he is not added to the 40 man roster this offseason. There are a bunch of guys in this position (12-15) including many of the Miracle players. Is Brett ready for the show?? No. Could he be picked in the draft and hidden in some teams pen for 2015?? Yes, he could be a viable lefty option out of the pen if used strategically (starting with no pressure games). Will it happen?? We will have to wait and see.

#33 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

A small rant

I know this is not the right forum...

I hope to keep Brett as my AAP in 2015. Three obstacles. The first, he isn't a Twin--either goes in draft or is packaged in a trade with other prospects for a (whatever) top player the Twins can get (like Nats got Gio a couple of years ago).

Second, Seth may have a rule against keeping AAPs for more than 2 years.

Third, Twins Daily itself. Since the latest version has been on-line, I have found that posting is hard. Sometimes (like right now) its fine. Most of the time, not so much. I wait for letters to show up on the screen for what seems like forever (probably 30-50 seconds) and have to back space and retype. I have definitely cut down on my postings. I thought I would be way over 500 by now--but I am not. If it doesn't get better, I wont have an AAP next year. I will still limit posting comments, but not reading articles.

Off the soap box.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Third, Twins Daily itself. Since the latest version has been on-line, I have found that posting is hard. Sometimes (like right now) its fine. Most of the time, not so much. I wait for letters to show up on the screen for what seems like forever (probably 30-50 seconds) and have to back space and retype. I have definitely cut down on my postings. I thought I would be way over 500 by now--but I am not. If it doesn't get better, I wont have an AAP next year. I will still limit posting comments, but not reading articles.

I assume you're in DC so you're not terribly far from the server (Texas).

What browser are you using? Most users are in MN - approximately the same distance from the server as you are in DC - and the site loads in less than a second for me 95%+ of the time.

#35 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

I assume you're in DC so you're not terribly far from the server (Texas).

What browser are you using? Most users are in MN - approximately the same distance from the server as you are in DC - and the site loads in less than a second for me 95%+ of the time.

I am actually 10 miles north of DC. I use internet explorer (on a 5 year-old laptop) but latest IE version (I think). Loading isn't the problem its loading my typing on comments like this--though today has been fine. I think DC is further from Texas than Minn. but I may be wrong.

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

I think DC is further from Texas than Minn. but I may be wrong.

Not enough to matter for website usage.

PM me if you see the problem spring up again. Also, be sure to verify which version of IE you're using if the problem arises.

• DAM DC Twins Fans likes this