Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Sean Gilmartin - 2014

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

Full Name: Sean Patrick Gilmartin
Born: 05/08/1990
Birthplace: Thousand Oaks, CA
College: Florida State
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 190
Bats: L
Throws: L

The 28th overall pick in the 2011 draft, Gilmartin was the #5 prospect entering 2012 in the Braves organization. He rose to AAA in his second professional year with 37.2 innings for the Gwinnett Braves. 2013 was overshadowed by shoulder injuries culminating in a trade to the Minnesota Twins.

The Minnesota dream is that Gilmartins shoulder issues are in the past, the Twins made a steal of a trade, and he will become the player Atlanta thought they were drafting in 2011.

Opinions tend to believe if Atlanta gave him up for Doumit, there is a reason. For example, see this article: http://www.ajc.com/w...sean-gilmartin/

The Twins have assigned Gilmartin to AA New Britain.

#2 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

A younger, better, slightly harder throwing version of Diamond?

Hard to predict the future, but only 23, healthy again, back at AA to re-establish himself and get his legs under him. Not another Santana type pitcher or steal. But perhaps a second coming of Alan Anderson?

#3 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

It seems that the Twins have immediately demoted him and sent him back a level. Atlanta tends to produce better pitchers in their farm system than the Twins. I find the demotion from AAA back to AA curious.

#4 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

It seems that the Twins have immediately demoted him and sent him back a level. Atlanta tends to produce better pitchers in their farm system than the Twins. I find the demotion from AAA back to AA curious.

Me too.... And concerning

#5 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Gilmartin getting assigned to AA had more to do with Scott D accepting his assignment insteat of free agentcy then anything else

#6 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Gilmartin getting assigned to AA had more to do with Scott D accepting his assignment insteat of free agentcy then anything else

Agree. They actually have enough pitching depth that a legit prospect had to start in AA. I don't think there is anything more to it than that. Starting in AA will make no difference in his long term success. If he pitches well, he will get his chances.

#7 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

A younger, better, slightly harder throwing version of Diamond?

From the AJC article:
According to Keith Law ... "Gilmartin's fastball sits mostly 87-89 mph with a decent changeup, below-average breaking ball and good control … He might be a fifth starter, although it's hard to see him even being average in the majors with fringy stuff and no out pitch."

Hopefully that evaluation was affected by the shoulder issues last year and he has a little more juice on the fastball, because if not, he's Scott Diamond Lite rather than the "better, slightly harder throwing version."

#8 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

From the AJC article:
According to Keith Law ... "Gilmartin's fastball sits mostly 87-89 mph with a decent changeup, below-average breaking ball and good control … He might be a fifth starter, although it's hard to see him even being average in the majors with fringy stuff and no out pitch."

Hopefully that evaluation was affected by the shoulder issues last year and he has a little more juice on the fastball, because if not, he's Scott Diamond Lite rather than the "better, slightly harder throwing version."

Completely agree with everything you said. BUY THAT GUY A STEAK!

#9 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

The following paragraph was borrowed from the Tuesday Rock Cats game summary:

Gilmartin, who was acquired by the Twins in trade with the Atlanta Braves over the offseason for C/OF Ryan Doumit, went five innings in his 2014 debut. He allowed five runs, four earned, on nine hits while striking out four and walking one. The lefthander's record falls to 0-1.

Not the best start as a twins prospect

#10 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Looking at his stats on the Rock Cats page, they are only counting 3 of the 5 runs as earned lowering his ERA to 5.40

#11 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Today Gilmartin started and earned the win for New Britain pitching 6 inning allowing 4 hits and 2 runs (1 earned). He gave up 2 walks while striking out 3. His ERA now sits at 3.27 over 11 innings pitched.

#12 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

Looking purely at stats, Game three looked more like game one...he took the loss with 5.0 innings pitched giving up 8 hits and 3 runs, all earned. Bright side, no walks or home runs and 9 strike outs.

#13 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

Game 4:
Apr 26 @RIC Gilmartin started and got the win. He went 6.2 innings giving up 6 hits and 4 runs all earned. He also gave up his first homer of the young season while walking 1 ans striking out 7.
On the season he is 2-2 with a 4.37 ERA. He has started all 4 games and pitched a total of 22.2 innings. Of the 14 runs given up, 11 are earned. He has only walked 4 while striking out 23. Opponents are batting .297

#14 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

Decent strikeout numbers. Does anyone know how he's generating those K's?

#15 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

On Friday Gilmartin won for the third time going 6.0 innings on 3 hits and giving up only 1 run. He doubled his previous season high by walking 4 but continued to strike people out with 8 more K's. He now has 31 Strike outs in 28.2 innings, a K rate he had his first year in professional ball back 2011 but hasn't had at this level before

#16 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Decent strikeout numbers. Does anyone know how he's generating those K's?

Twinkie town says he is not a swing and miss pitcher and has this scouting report. http://www.twinkieto...ade-ryan-doumit

Scouting book has this to say: http://www.scoutingb...m/players/p2792
which is suggesting his smarts and control are getting the K's

I also found this at http://baseballprosp...p-15-prospects/ with this Scouting report
Gilmartin may lack a considerable ceiling but he also offers a pretty high floor. It is hard not to view him as a big league pitcher, albeit one with a number five ceiling. His fastball scrapes 89 mph and he commands it well to all four parts of the strike zone. His entire profile relies heavily on his ability to locate and mix pitches, keeping hitters off balance, but he does all of that well. Gilmartin is very polished and could be pushed into service at the big-league level at any time.

I have not found anything written since the season began so my assumption is he is back to 2011-12 form and back to good health leading to better control and confidence. With a couple years experience, he has learned to Strike out AA hitters who are really below his level after spending parts of two seasons he should be at AAA IMO.

#17 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

Thursday Gilmartin pitched his first no decision of the year going 6 inning with 5 strikeouts to add to his total. He gave up 3 runs on 6 hits all earned while walking 3.

#18 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

On May 15th he pitched 5 innings giving up 8 hits and 3 runs only 1 earned. He walked one and only struck out 1. He is pitching tonight...will try to update again later

#19 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Sean pitched 8 innings giving up 4 hits and 2 runs with 0 walks and 9 strike outs gaining another win

#20 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

Sean took another loss Pitching 6 innings on the 25th. He surrendered 3 earned runs on 7 hits and 2 walks while striking out 5. He gave up his second homer of the year in this his 9h outing. He now has a season win loss record of 4-3 with a 3.52 ERA in nine appearances, all starts. He's pitched 53.2 innings giving up 55 hits and 14 walks. He has struck out 51 batters. His GO/AO ratio is 0.67 and opponents are hitting 272 against him. His WHIP is 1.286.

#21 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Sean got another start on Friday going 6 scoreless innings giving up only 5 hits. He walked 2 while striking out 9 earning his fifth win of the season.

Edited by goulik, 01 June 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#22 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

This was in the TD June 5 minor league report:

"Gilmartin Shines, Again
In a good old-fashioned pitchers duel, Sean Gilmartin led the Rock Cats with seven and a third innings of scoreless ball, with eight strikeouts and zero walks. (Are we fully on the Gilmartin bandwagon yet? He now has a 2.82 ERA, 68 strike outs and just 16 walks in 67 innings)."

Yes, Im on the bandwagon! We need a AAA promotion of Mays and or Meyers to make room for Sean in Rochester...Someone get it done! (Trade Correia and or Nolasco, Cut Pelf)

Edited by goulik, 08 June 2014 - 06:22 AM.

#23 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

In his latest outing, Sean gave up a lot of hits (11) in 5 innings of work. He limited the damage with only 4 runs by avoiding the homer, striking out 6 and not walking anyone. He got the win and in the end, wins and losses are all that matter right?

#24 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

New Britain stat line:
2014 Season
W-L 7-3 ERA 3.13 G 12 GS 12 CG 0 ShO 0 SV 0 IP 72.0 H 76 R 30 ER 25 HR 2 BB 16 SO 74 GO/AO 0.73 Opp. BA .275
on to Rochester...

Edited by goulik, 17 June 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#25 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

First AAA, 3.1 innings.
Over the first two innings Sean scattered 3 singles. No blood no foul...
Third inning started with a Bernier error followed by a strike out, wild pitch, and a sac fly advancing the runner to third. Not a problem until the home run. Yes, both unearned (Sac fly should have been third out) but just not looking good. He gave up another single before ending the inning.
Fourth inning he got another out but another single showed he did not have it this day and Scott Diamond came in to pick him up. Not a great Rochester debut

#26 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Sean's second Rochester start was mediocre at best which with what he had been doing was disappointing to me. I mean, 5 innings, 3 runs isn't horrible but 5 hits including a homer with 2 walks is a whip over 1.0 and is not what we are used to this year. He did strike out 4 and it was only his second AAA start of the year. Hopefully he starts doing to AAA what he had been doing to AA batters.

#27 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I was tech free for the last ten days and Sean pitched twice while I was gone.

On Jun 27 he pitched 6 innings allowing 7 hits and 4 runs in a no decision. He walked two and struck out only one. At AA he struck out 74 in 72 innings but to that point at AAA, he had only 7 Ks in 15 innings.

On Jul 02 he made his 4th Rochester start of the year getting his first AAA win. He went 5 innings and gave up 5 hits and 3 runs. He walked 3 but also for the first time at AAA, He struck out more than 1 per inning with 6 Ks.

In his two partial AAA years with the braves he struck out 2 batters every 3 innings approximately. (Similar numbers at lower levels) With the 6 most recent Ks he is back at that AAA ratio. The aberration here appears to be this years AA strikeout ratio but this is a small sample size and we can still hope that his increased K rate will transfer yet... Fingers crossed

Edited by goulik, 05 July 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#28 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

I really like him as a depth move but right now i am not sure that I would place him above Kris Johnson or Logan Darnel at this point, two pitchers he will have to beat out to get to the show. i would be surprised if all three left handers are with the Twins organization next year. One could very well be paxkaged in a deadline deal

#29 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

Sean has pitched twice since my last update going 12.2 innings of solid baseball. He allowed 6 runs as his relievers allowed two inherited runners to reach and Beresfords error allowed an unearned run. Can someone help my man out? He only K'd 8 batters to 4 walks.

July 7th Sean had a rough second inning which should have been completed with two earned runs on a grounder to Beresford but an error allowed the runner from third to score and the batter was thrown out trying to advance to second base. He then cruised until the 7th when he allowed a runner to reach and was relieved by Oliveros with one out. The wheels came off for Oliveros and he allowed that runner plus two more to score.

July 12th Sean went 6.1 innings allowing 2 runs with 3 Walks and 3 Ks. He gave up a run in the first but then cruised through 5 scoreless innings before being relieved with 2 on and one out in the 7th. The man on second eventually scored. Very solid appearance really.

#30 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

I really like him as a depth move but right now i am not sure that I would place him above Kris Johnson or Logan Darnel at this point, two pitchers he will have to beat out to get to the show. i would be surprised if all three left handers are with the Twins organization next year. One could very well be paxkaged in a deadline deal

Personally I am hoping one or two of the three are packaged with one or two of Correia/Suzuki/Willingham/Morales to sweeten the trades and improve the return