Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Minor League Opening Day Primer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ning-Day-Primer

#2 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

Looks liike the order at AAA is Diamond, Meyer, May, Johnson, and Darnell. The top four at CR are Slegars, Randy Rosario, Eades, and Stewart, then TBD.

Dean is the opening day starter for NB, then a bunch of TBD. All TBD at Fort Myers.

#3 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Really nice article, Seth. It reminds me of why I love baseball, even though the Twins blew a victory yesterday by really sloppy play..

#4 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

I hope its Buxton who is the first hitter promoted over Ray. Assuming he recovers from his injury quickly

#5 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

LOL, I asked Jake Mauer if he'd seen Jim Crikket here and he said no, but that Steve Buhr was here.

Good article in the New-Press this morning on the Miracle.

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

LOL, I asked Jake Mauer if he'd seen Jim Crikket here and he said no, but that Steve Buhr was here.

Good article in the New-Press this morning on the Miracle.

I'm sure Jake was glad to see me leave Fort Myers at the end of last week so he'd have a few days without me bugging him before they arrived here in CR this week.

Great article, Seth, and thanks for the great write-up on Cedar Rapids. I'm admittedly partial to my hometown of the past 35+ years. I would never claim it's the most exciting place to spend time, but I'm OK with that as long as we've got the Kernels to follow all summer.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

Nice write up, Seth.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

I hope its Buxton who is the first hitter promoted over Ray. Assuming he recovers from his injury quickly

You make a great point, but I guess I look at Buxton's time in the Florida State League (if any) as a rehab. He'll get to New Britain quickly.

#9 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

You make a great point, but I guess I look at Buxton's time in the Florida State League (if any) as a rehab. He'll get to New Britain quickly.

That is good to hear. He had that league figured out last year

#10 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

What's the deal w/ Ameries Minier (or whatever)? I thought he was supposed to be a stud at some point, or did I just make that up?

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

What's the deal w/ Ameries Minier (or whatever)? I thought he was supposed to be a stud at some point, or did I just make that up?

He was 17 last year. He'll be a stud but he'll need some time.

#12 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Despite being a huge Twins fan, or more reasonably BECAUSE I am a huge Twins fan, I look forward to the start of the minor league seasons as much as the ML season. My morning ritual each and every day is to pop on TD and read about the games the day/night before. Back before the Internet I would scramble for news and stats from the Sporting News and Baseball America on the Twins minor leagues, as well as tidbits from John and Herb during broadcasts. For a few years in the late 80's there was a newspaper, I don't recall the exact name any longer, that my father and I subscribed to that had a feature, roster, and full stats on the Twins minor leagues that was put out on a periodic basis during the season.

Thank you Seth, and everyone else, so much for all the information you all provide to us fans in general, as well as this colum and the previous roster breakdown a few days ago.

I almost wonder how you can even pick your hitter choices as the top three levels in particular, (especially New Britain and Ft Myers) have so many young bats to consider.

Im a little surprised where some of the pitchers are begining their seasons. There are more than a few arms that in years past would be a level higher based on achievement the previous season, a taste of the next level in August, and general need. It clearly speaks to the overall depth in the system, as well as the Twins giving Rochester something other than just AAAA fodder to march out to the hill.

Dean and Wheeler are a couple that rather surprise me. But I really like Gilmartin starting the season in AA. No matter that he came from the college ranks, he was promoted pretty quickly by the Braves. That and his injury problems last season allows him now to gain confidence and get back in a good groove at a level he should succeed at. I know some aren't too high on him because he doesn't have dominant stuff, and there is no way to truly predict his floor or ceiling at this point, but he's still young, barely out of college, and was a 1st round pick for a reason.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

He had shoulder surgery earlier this year, and he only played in the GCL last year, so he'll probably play for Elizabethton.

#14 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

It's so weird to not to be able to read this and not read names like...

"Buxton...Sano...Rosario..."

Arguably, our organization's top 3 hitters...not playing on opening day.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

It's so weird to not to be able to read this and not read names like...

"Buxton...Sano...Rosario..."

Arguably, our organization's top 3 hitters...not playing on opening day.

Agreed. After Buxton/Sano there is a real dearth of impact bats. I think Rosario and Polanco will both hit well for MI but unless someone like Walker, Harrison, Kepler or Vargas really step up, we don't have another scary bat. It's not a total loss since the team just graduated Arcia and Pinto, who would both qualify.

#16 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

As an expat teacher, I only get back to MN in the summer. This was a trip I wanted to make last year, but went to the North Shore instead. This year, I'll be making this trip- so thanks for all the useful suggestions and information.

Thorough coverage of the Twins' farm system is one of the main reasons I keep on coming back, and makes TD superior to other teams' fan sites, imho. Unparalleled coverage.