Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Brandon Inge

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Future Twin? Waddaya think?

#2 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Is this a joke? If not... No. Absolutely not. I'd rather spend the time failing to develop Valencia into a starting Third Baseman. Maybe Deibinson Romero is the answer. Maybe Ryan is signing Inge as we speak.. uugghh...

#3 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Future Twin? Waddaya think?

Dear Spideyo, I have rethought my stance. Inge is the equivalent of Valencia offensively and most definitely his defensive superior. Sign him up! We have no replacement for 2-3 years as Sano is that player.

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Plus we get a backup catcher!

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Plus we get a backup catcher!

Good Point!!!

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

You'd think it might humble Valencia enough to make him coachable. "They're thinking of replacing me with HIM???" But if Sean Burroughs didn't do the trick, I'm not thinking Inge would either.

#7 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Inge would be interesting. Can play 3b and C plus 2B. He would make more sense than Burroughs. I wouldn't expect too much hitting out of him but as a backup he can handle multiple positions. What I wouldnt like about Inge is this. The obvious perceptions that the Twins are Comerica Park dumpster divers. That gives me the willy's. Once you get all the banana peels and coffee grounds scraped off your clothing. Inge would be a decent fit. One last thing. I'd rather have Eldred. Big time Power. I think he should have had a decent sized MLB chance long ago.

#8 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I thought this was a rebuilding year?

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I thought this was a rebuilding year?

It certainly is, but without a 3B for the future, which Valencia is not, you need to find filler until the suitable replacement is found.

#10 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

The only way I can see it working is if we cut Burroughs. It might not be a significant offensive improvement, but at least he'd be able to back up several spots (and keep Butera in AAA) In the Strib article, it was suggested that we could send Valencia down and platoon Burroughs and Inge, but that doesn't make any sense to me. I'm pretty sure Valencia is out of options, and if someone grabbed Hughes, someone is definitely gonna grab Valencia. Besides, as much as I think Danny isn't performing up to expectations, why in the hell would you keep Burroughs over him?

#11 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Inge would be interesting. Can play 3b and C plus 2B. He would make more sense than Burroughs. I wouldn't expect too much hitting out of him but as a backup he can handle multiple positions.

What I wouldnt like about Inge is this. The obvious perceptions that the Twins are Comerica Park dumpster divers. That gives me the willy's.

Once you get all the banana peels and coffee grounds scraped off your clothing. Inge would be a decent fit.

One last thing. I'd rather have Eldred. Big time Power. I think he should have had a decent sized MLB chance long ago.

Couldn't we just pretend we traded Delmon Young for Thomas and Inge?

#12 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Keep want we got and forget about the has beens.

#13 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Inge would be a good fit. Our kind of player, send Valencia down as he has options left. If he doesn't figure it out, cut him. If Burroughs continues to struggle cut him as well and bring up Dozier to play short at all star break. Trade Carrol to contender at deadline for any big league starter who throws over 88mph and breathing!! Lmao I know Carroll won't bring that but we might lose 100 games if we don't find a couple starters to get some outs!!

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Couldn't we just pretend we traded Delmon Young for Thomas and Inge?

Too late... I've already pretended that we gave 15 dollars to the tigers to take Delmon Young.

#15 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Too late... I've already pretended that we gave 15 dollars to the tigers to take Delmon Young.

THAT MUCH!!??................you got pretend hosed.

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

THAT MUCH!!??................you got pretend hosed.

lol!!! No that was actually the removal of the hose!!!

#17 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm not crazy about it but it might give us a bit of stability at 3rd, get rid of the Butera nonsense and wake Valencia the hell up!!! Burroughs sure isn't the answer and in-house help is a couple of years away. Still, I feel a little dirty.:P

#18 rogrulz30

rogrulz30

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

SIGN BRANDON INGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can stop writing about how much I hate Valencia, the worst 3B in the league. Inge is the perfect fit over Valencia, we can also stop hearing about, and writing about Butera as well. This is a win win.

#19 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

This is a pretty funny thread. Inge is not a back-up option at Catcher. He hasn't been behind the plate since 2008, and probably lost his job with the Tigers in part because he wasn't able to be an option there. They had been trying him at 2B, and while his defense is above average (pretty good, actually), his bat is not. I think Dave Dombroski is trolling the Twins. Inge is much worse statistically compared to the existing 3B options on the Twins' Roster. As much as people want to hate on Valencia, Inge is not an improvement. At this point in his career, he's a light hitting Adam Everett. EDITED to add - of course, as soon as I say all that, I read that a "Twins' Source is saying that pursuit of Inge will begin in earnest today."

Edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me, 27 April 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

This is a pretty funny thread. Inge is not a back-up option at Catcher. He hasn't been behind the plate since 2008, and probably lost his job with the Tigers in part because he wasn't able to be an option there. They had been trying him at 2B, and while his defense is above average (pretty good, actually), his bat is not. I think Dave Dombroski is trolling the Twins. Inge is much worse statistically compared to the existing 3B options on the Twins' Roster. As much as people want to hate on Valencia, Inge is not an improvement. At this point in his career, he's a light hitting Adam Everett.

EDITED to add - of course, as soon as I say all that, I read that a "Twins' Source is saying that pursuit of Inge will begin in earnest today."

I agree however you are wrong. Everything you say is true but not quite.

Inge could still be the third catcher in case Doumit slips on a patch of ice In the 8th inning and Mauer is DH. Inge shouldn't replace Velencia but he could replace Burroughs.

I'm not saying I'm for this... Just saying I can see a roster fit.

#21 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

It is probably not a stretch to say that Inge could be an emergency Catcher, but I can't see him being used there as a viable backup option. It's not reason enough to add him to the roster.
I looked closer at Inge Vs. Valencia - in terms of hitting, Danny has been putrid this year, and was below average last year - while Inge seems to be in a bit of free fall. However, they are pretty similar at the moment. The questions would be - can Valencia improve? Will Inge stop getting worse and level off?
I think Inge is probably better than Burroughs as the last man off the bench. The reason (I'm guessing) that Burroughs was on the 25 man was that he's a Left Handed bench bat. Doumit or Parmalee (whichever isn't starting that day) can take those at bats if Inge is on the team.

I also see a fit, but it seems like a move just for the sake of looking like something is being done. I don't know if it sends a message to players.

Last thing, would you rather have Inge or Luke Hughes?

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Inge is 35 and he has been on the south side of his career with the bat ever since they started testing for steroids. Has been under the Mendoza line for the last 3-4 seasons and the last couple seasons he's been fighting the Butera line. No thank you. (Let's sign Juan Rincon too ;) he is attempting a comeback) On the other hand, Delmon might be a free agent soon too :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

I'm starting to get depressed that we've reached a 22 post discussion on whether Brandon Inge is the way to improve our ballclub right now...................seriously, Brandon Inge, that's thoroughly depressing.:P:p

#24 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

The idea was that Burroughs could pinch hit. He did a lot of that last year, with decent success IIRC. Burroughs hasn't had enough PAs especially as a pinch hitter to prove anything. So far, though, the results aren't promising.

#25 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

One could say Burroughs is a poor man's Brandon Inge with less power and position flexibility. Seems like a viable option for some power of the bench. Why not?

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

One could say Burroughs is a poor man's Brandon Inge

And Inge is a poor man's baseball player.

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

DUMBEST. IDEA. EVER. This team is not going to playoffs. You want to spend millions of dollars on a 34 year old? They should be shedding contracts, and saving that money to sign legit FAs next year. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea. Unreal.
Lighten up Francis....

#28 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

DUMBEST. IDEA. EVER. This team is not going to playoffs. You want to spend millions of dollars on a 34 year old? They should be shedding contracts, and saving that money to sign legit FAs next year. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea. Unreal.

Thanks, Mike. I don't see the need for it. Simply because, what good does it do? Only minute possibility is that Inge plays, improves his value, gets traded,nets a prospect.

That's a stretch.

As for signing legit FAs, I'll be impressed when they do. Willingham was a big undertaking that way. Seem to shy away from the REAL splashy FA signings, and I don't thing that will change.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Unfortunately, Mackey has a post up at ESPN 1500 saying that the Twins are looking at the possibility to sign him...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Inge is also considered a great clubhouse leader. Now, Im not that interested in that ( I want production), but several people are. In addition to his position flexibility is his ability to play the OF. If Im Inge, do I want to go to MN or find a team that is gonna compete & could use his excellent defense as a backup option.