Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Politically incorrect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

A situation is unfolding that has the potential to create a major change to the personality of the Twins. To be clear, I happen to think this could be a very good thing, but it's not something that's easily discussed.

The following could have major roles (likely starters):

1B. Vargas -Puerto Rico
2B. Rosario - Puerto Rico
SS. Santana - Dominican Republic
3B. Sano - Dominican Republic
RF. Arcia - Venezuala
C. Pinto - Venezuela

Six of eight fielders could soon be Latin. This could certainly have an impact on the quiet personality of our usual "Minnesota Nice" team. It will certainly require changes in the approach of field management.

None of this is bad, in my opinion, but I am surprised I haven't seen it discussed. It also isn't anything different than most other teams are finding.

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

The more likely scenario is that some of those guys will have major roles, and some will fizzle out, as is the nature of prospects. If your point is that there seems to be a nice infusion of Latin talent coming in, you're right, and that's probably a reflection of the team's increased emphasis on the international market, as well as the general direction of baseball as a whole.

I don't think this is some radical change. The Twins have frequently featured foreign talent -- it was the "Infield of Nations" that started their playoff run in 2002.

#3 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Not every Latin player is flamboyant like Yasiel Puig. The OP makes it seem like having Latin players is assumed to create a more boisterous and outspoken clubhouse.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#4 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

This thread is a rorschach test. Not cool.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#5 lyndon

lyndon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Interesting thought. Let's hope all those guys pan out. As someone married to a Latina (Peruvian), speaking the language, and having done extensive travels in Latin America, I can say that most Latinos are that way for sure. Probably half or more of my friends are Latinos and there's rarely a dull moment. There are definitely exceptions and a variety of Latin people groups, but most are full of life, let's just say. Typically they are very proud of the way they are too. I think even more important than being boisterous though is that they are passionate. If they love doing something, they go after it!

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,858 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

This thread is a rorschach test.

If that's what you see it as. :)

#7 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

There will be a big improvement to the walk up music.

#8 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

Not every Latin player is flamboyant like Yasiel Puig. The OP makes it seem like having Latin players is assumed to create a more boisterous and outspoken clubhouse.

They'd certainly make it more boisterous than it is now.

#9 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hopefully Gardy brings his pall Ozzie Guillen in the fold so someone can talk to them in their native tongue.

#10 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

I think what would change the nature of the Twins would be finding 6 of 8 fielders who can field and hit above major league average.