Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

James Beresford - 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Checking in with Beresford, he's now working on a 9-game hitting streak, with 3 doubles, a triple and 5 multi-hit games in that time.

His split over the past 10 games is .341/.372/.463 for a .836 OPS. Not too shabby!

And guess who's leading the Red Wings in RBI? If you said Deibinson Romero, you'd be right. But if you said James Beresford, you'd also be right. Both players have 26 RBI and each has appeared in 60 games. Yes, I know it's RBI and we all know that's a stat that is largely dependent on guys getting on base ahead of the hitter, but it's still not something a lot of fans would have predicted Beresford would find himself at the top of the leaderboard coming in to the season.

With Dozier, Santana and Escobar already with the Twins and performing well, Beresford's chances of a promotion are going to rely on something dramatic happening, such as an injury or, perhaps more likely, a trade. Just seems to me there must be a MLB team out there somewhere that could use him.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#22 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Beresford has certainly had a tough stretch his last 10 games or so. He's hit just .147 in that stretch, but hey, he's struck out just 3 times in 38 plate appearances in those 10 games so I guess we just hope some of the contact starts dropping in for hits again.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

#23 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

It has been a tough couple weeks for Beresford. His slash line the past 10 games is .205/.271/.250 for an OPS of .521. Ouch.

Now sitting at .271/.325/.336 and .661 on the season.

#24 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Great piece from Jim Mandelaro on Beresford's parents, Ian and Chris, visiting the States this month to see their two sons.

http://www.democrata...ralia/12557883/

#25 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

James bounced back well after the inauspicious start to his July. On the month, as a whole, he hit .250 and had a .702 OPS. That's down from his earlier efforts, but considering he struggled to reach the Mendoza line the first 10 days or so of July, it's not bad at all.

On the year, he's at .273. But his 20 doubles, 2 triples and 2 HRs show the real improvement in his game this year. It reflects the most extra-base hits he's had in any season since his 2010 year at Beloit (low-A), and there's still another month left in this season.

It would be nice to see him finish strong. Depending on the Twins' 40-man roster situation, maybe he could get a September call. But even if that doesn't happen, a strong finish would set him up for 2015. I admit, however, that I kind of hope he elects minor league free agency this year and finds an organization where he might have a better opportunity to take that next step in 2015.

#26 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Wow, what a week James has had during the first week of August!

Yes, I know, "small sample size" and all that, but check this out:

13 for 29 for a .448 batting average. Five of those hits were doubles.

His slash line: .448/.467/.621 for a 1.087 OPS.

He's had multiple hits in four of the six games he's played in this past week, including a four-hit night on Aug 2 and a pair of 3-hit efforts.

Really good to see James catching fire as the Red Wings head down the stretch.

#27 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

With news that Doug Bernier has been given a September call-up, rather than Beresford, James' 2014 season has apparently come to an end. His final stats:

130 G 503 AB65 R 139 H 28 2B2 3B 2 HR 47 RBI 36 BB 75 K .276/.324/.352 .675 OPS

For the 3rd straight offseason, the 25 yr old Aussie will need to make a decision concerning whether to re-sign with the Twins. For the second straight offseason, I'm hoping his agent finds him another organization that's willing to give him a better shot at getting some time in the big leagues.

The Twins simply have too many middle infielders above and below Beresford's level to give him much, if any, chance of breaking through. He's coming off his best season, having finally shown an ability to find some gaps with his bat while continuing to play above average defense. Have to think some team can find a place for that.

#28 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

Without knowing much about him, Beresford strikes me as a guy who could fill the utility IF role for a few years at the big league level.The only way that happens is if Plouffe or Escobar get traded in Sept to a team in need.Is he capable of playing a solid SS at the major league level?

Edited by Physics Guy, 01 September 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#29 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

I always liked his defense at SS, but he's rarely played the position the past couple of years as more highly regarded prospects held down the spot. I think he can be a MLB utility IF, but it's increasingly unlikely to be in Minnesota.