Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

James Beresford - 2014

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

This is the 3rd year I've "adopted" James Beresford, a 25 year old, left-handed hitting middle infielder from Glen Waverly, Australia.

Here's what I wrote, by way of introduction, when I first adopted him in 2012:

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]I first recall seeing Australian James Beresford playing for the Beloit Snappers in 2009 during a game here in Cedar Rapids against the Kernels. He looked a lot like most of the middle infielders we see coming through the Class Low-A Midwest League… that is to say, he looked a lot like any kid you might expect to see on a local high school diamond. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]He was still with the Snappers a year later when they made their first trip of the season to play the Kernels and it was during one of those games that James really caught my eye.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]He hadn’t grown a lot over the offseason, but he certainly didn’t play the field like many high school kids I’d seen… or many minor leaguers I’d seen, for that matter. In a single game, I saw him turn a very difficult double play from his shortstop position and make a play deep in the hole to his right and make a leaping/turning throw to first base for an out. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Since that time, I’ve continued to keep an eye on Beresford during my annual trips to Spring Training and as he’s worked his way up the ladder within the Twins organization. He’s filled out a bit and while he definitely needs to start driving the ball harder, his batting average has been fine for a middle infielder over the past couple of seasons. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]He’s off to a bit of a slow start with the stick in New Britain this season, where he’s been playing second base, and with the Twins adding Levi Michael through the draft last year and attempting to convert promising prospect Eddie Rosario in to a second baseman, James is going to have to continue stepping up his game to stay ahead of those guys in the Twins’ middle infield pecking order. But he's still only 23 years old and, from what I’ve seen, he has the work ethic to do just that. He’s also the kind of young man that it’s easy to root for.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]You can follow James on Twitter at @JamesBeresford2[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

In 2013, James split his time pretty evenly between New Britain and Rochester. For the whole season, he hit .306 and reached base at a .363 clip. He played 2B in all but six games (4 at SS, 2 at 3B), but remains capable of playing all three positions. That versatility is likely to remain critical for James, since his best shot at a big league debut will be as a utility player.

This is the second year that James has been eligible to elect minor league free agency and has chosen to re-sign with the Twins organization. It's also the second year he received an invitation to Major League spring training as a non-roster invite. However, it was the first spring that he actually got to show the Twins staff what he could do, since last year he was only in camp a few days before he left to represent his home country in the WBC tournament. He saw time at all three infield positions during his time with the big club.

Obviously, with Danny Santana and Deibinson Romero also in Rochester, James is likely to once again predominantly play 2B.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

FREE JAMES BERESFORD!

OK, maybe it's a little premature for a campaign.

But through the Red Wings' first two games, James is batting .500 (five hits in ten ABs)! he's consistent, too, going 2 for 4 in the season opener and 3 for 6 in their extra-inning loss in game 2. he scored a run and has one RBI, as well. No walks, but when you can hit at a .500 rate, who wants to walk, right? No strikeouts, either, so there's that.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

FREE JAMES BERESFORD!

OK, maybe it's a little premature for a campaign.

But through the Red Wings' first two games, James is batting .500 (five hits in ten ABs)! he's consistent, too, going 2 for 4 in the season opener and 3 for 6 in their extra-inning loss in game 2. he scored a run and has one RBI, as well. No walks, but when you can hit at a .500 rate, who wants to walk, right? No strikeouts, either, so there's that.

I don't think it is all that premature. To me adding Nunez is a little weird given Romero-Santana-Beresford. All three of them, I think, might actually provide more overall value than Nunez!

#4 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

My first update had Beresford hitting .500 after the Red Wings' first two games. Rochester has now played 8 games and, guess what... James is now hitting... .500!

Yes, after going 4 for 4 in game 1 of Saturday's doubleheader and 1 for 3 in game 2, Beresford is now 14 for 28 on the young season. Two of those hits on Saturday were doubles, giving him three on the season. His overall slash line is .500/.548/.607 for an OPS of 1.156.

No, it won't continue. But he's gotta be having a blast while it lasts.

#5 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I am cheering him on. He is one of my favorite players. He just seems scrappy, a tough out, solid in the field. He might not have the high end talent that some guys do but he gets the most out of the talent he has. He kind of reminds me of Colabello in that no body seems to give this guy a chance and he just keeps doing better every chance he gets. The way his swing looks I really think he is going to make it. This guy is the real deal. I hope the Twins can find a place for him to play everyday because he competes hard, is passionate and fun to watch.

#6 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

I am cheering him on. He is one of my favorite players. He just seems scrappy, a tough out, solid in the field. He might not have the high end talent that some guys do but he gets the most out of the talent he has. He kind of reminds me of Colabello in that no body seems to give this guy a chance and he just keeps doing better every chance he gets. The way his swing looks I really think he is going to make it. This guy is the real deal. I hope the Twins can find a place for him to play everyday because he competes hard, is passionate and fun to watch.

So would you say he battles his tail off?

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

My first update had Beresford hitting .500 after the Red Wings' first two games. Rochester has now played 8 games and, guess what... James is now hitting... .500!

Yes, after going 4 for 4 in game 1 of Saturday's doubleheader and 1 for 3 in game 2, Beresford is now 14 for 28 on the young season. Two of those hits on Saturday were doubles, giving him three on the season. His overall slash line is .500/.548/.607 for an OPS of 1.156.

No, it won't continue. But he's gotta be having a blast while it lasts.

Oh yeah. I was at the doubleheader tonight. He has this habit of standing very close to the plate and at the second game, the pitchers were so mad at him that started throwing inside. All of his hits were really solid. Made a really boneheaded move (not sure if Glynn greenlighted him) to try to go to third on a ball that barely rolled off the catcher's mitt and was thrown out, but other than that, he was pretty solid today.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

So would you say he battles his tail off?

I guess that would be another way to say it, but Gardy seems to think just about everyone does that. James isn't real fast and he doesn't hit Home runs so that might keep him in the utility role. Just nice to see him doing well.

#9 Waverley Wildcat

Waverley Wildcat

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

people talk about a player giving say "110%" but that's impossible and it implies at times the player is giving less than 100%, but having known James since an 8 yo I know you will always get a fight from him, always giving HIS 100% to the team

#10 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

I know he hasn't played short much, but can he?
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#11 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I know he hasn't played short much, but can he?

Yes, he absolutely can. He got some reps there in NB in 2012 (60 games), but gave way to Santana last year. Looks like he also predominately played SS in 2011 with the Miracle.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#12 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

That's my question too. He actually played the bulk of his games there prior to last year. Figured the first half they wanted to keep Santana there. Not sure why he wasn't getting reps there second half at Rochester.

#13 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

The last week to ten days have not been kind to Beresford. He's just 6 for 39 in his last 10 games played. Ironically, all 6 hits came in pairs as he accumulated them in three two-hit games. One of those two-hit games came yesterday (Sunday Apr 27), so let's hope that's the start to getting him rolling again at the plate.

#14 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

The last week to ten days have not been kind to Beresford. He's just 6 for 39 in his last 10 games played. Ironically, all 6 hits came in pairs as he accumulated them in three two-hit games. One of those two-hit games came yesterday (Sunday Apr 27), so let's hope that's the start to getting him rolling again at the plate.

I am a bit bummed at his regression. I was wondering if he was hurt or trying to hit more home-runs or something because I had never seen so many O'fers in a row from him. Hope he gets it going again soon because he needs to stay sharp to get noticed.

#15 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Beresford hit just the second home run of his career last night and it was a big one, a grand slam that accounted for all four of the Red Wings' runs. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to get the team a win.

You can see a video at the link below from the local TV news report. It also starts out with a pretty nifty defensive play by Beresford.

http://www.whec.com/...0.shtml?cat=571

#16 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

In his last 10 games, Beresford has a slash line of .314/.385/.400 for an OPS of .785. He has 4 walks, 6 Ks in 39 plate appearances and 4 multi-hit games over that stretch.

#17 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Checking back in with James, it looks to me like things have been keeping on about the same steady pace. Since the 13th, he's hitting right at .300 (9 for 30). He did have a 7 game hitting streak snapped last night, however. He hit .346 during that streak.

On the season, his splits are .286/.337/.338

Edited by SD Buhr, 23 May 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#18 Waverley Wildcat

Waverley Wildcat

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

After a day on the bench James went 3 for 4 today including a double

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Pretty much Mr. Consistent. The 2013/2014 AAA numbers are particularly similar. He is a .700 OPS AAA player.

#20 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

James just keeps clipping away at about the same, reliable pace. In his past 10 games, he's batting an even .300, with a .349 OBP and an even .400 SLG. he has four doubles in those 10 games (compared to just 5 in all prior 2014 games), so he's legged out second base a bit more lately, which is good to see.

#21 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Checking in with Beresford, he's now working on a 9-game hitting streak, with 3 doubles, a triple and 5 multi-hit games in that time.

His split over the past 10 games is .341/.372/.463 for a .836 OPS. Not too shabby!

And guess who's leading the Red Wings in RBI? If you said Deibinson Romero, you'd be right. But if you said James Beresford, you'd also be right. Both players have 26 RBI and each has appeared in 60 games. Yes, I know it's RBI and we all know that's a stat that is largely dependent on guys getting on base ahead of the hitter, but it's still not something a lot of fans would have predicted Beresford would find himself at the top of the leaderboard coming in to the season.

With Dozier, Santana and Escobar already with the Twins and performing well, Beresford's chances of a promotion are going to rely on something dramatic happening, such as an injury or, perhaps more likely, a trade. Just seems to me there must be a MLB team out there somewhere that could use him.

#22 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Beresford has certainly had a tough stretch his last 10 games or so. He's hit just .147 in that stretch, but hey, he's struck out just 3 times in 38 plate appearances in those 10 games so I guess we just hope some of the contact starts dropping in for hits again.

#23 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

It has been a tough couple weeks for Beresford. His slash line the past 10 games is .205/.271/.250 for an OPS of .521. Ouch.

Now sitting at .271/.325/.336 and .661 on the season.

#24 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Great piece from Jim Mandelaro on Beresford's parents, Ian and Chris, visiting the States this month to see their two sons.

http://www.democrata...ralia/12557883/

#25 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

James bounced back well after the inauspicious start to his July. On the month, as a whole, he hit .250 and had a .702 OPS. That's down from his earlier efforts, but considering he struggled to reach the Mendoza line the first 10 days or so of July, it's not bad at all.

On the year, he's at .273. But his 20 doubles, 2 triples and 2 HRs show the real improvement in his game this year. It reflects the most extra-base hits he's had in any season since his 2010 year at Beloit (low-A), and there's still another month left in this season.

It would be nice to see him finish strong. Depending on the Twins' 40-man roster situation, maybe he could get a September call. But even if that doesn't happen, a strong finish would set him up for 2015. I admit, however, that I kind of hope he elects minor league free agency this year and finds an organization where he might have a better opportunity to take that next step in 2015.

#26 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Wow, what a week James has had during the first week of August!

Yes, I know, "small sample size" and all that, but check this out:

13 for 29 for a .448 batting average. Five of those hits were doubles.

His slash line: .448/.467/.621 for a 1.087 OPS.

He's had multiple hits in four of the six games he's played in this past week, including a four-hit night on Aug 2 and a pair of 3-hit efforts.

Really good to see James catching fire as the Red Wings head down the stretch.