Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Eddie Rosario - 2014

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

I was a bit surprised to see Mr. Rosario still sitting there when I glanced at the adopt a prospect thread today. Just a bit though as I can see the boredom behind a guy that is going to be sitting for nearly the first two months. However, with my tardiness I decided I couldn't pass up a top 5-10 prospect and will just be a bit bored I suppose.

Eddie was suspended 50 games for a drug of abuse this offseason meaning it is his second offense. There have been conflicting reports out, probably due in some small part to the language barrier as it was first broken by Spanish news sources out of Puerto Rico. The one story that minimizes the concern with this suspension is the one stating he took a pain killer that he had previously been prescribed without permission. Sounded like an honest mistake by that account and hopefully is the truth. However, for it to be a 50 game suspension this would have to be his second offense if I understand correctly. Which makes one less inclined to believe it was an honest mistake.

Either way, he's a very good prospect who has been almost like the Robin to Miguel Sano's batman. He's shown power, on base, average, and speed throughout his minor league run. His numbers dropped a bit as he adjusted to AA and the hope is he would start this year there and show an ability to improve. He's a top 100 prospect on most lists and a top 5 - 10 on most Twins prospect lists. Hopefully this suspension is a small blip and he'll come out healthy and firing on all cylinders at AA the end of May.

I'll post some more specifics regarding prospect rankings and any updates on the suspension as they come available. A quick google search shows there hasn't been much substantial news in relation to the suspension since Jan 4th.

#2 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Strange, I posted an update to this or at least thought I did when Eddie reported to training camp.

Not a lot to update on old Eddie. He reported late to spring training getting there around the middle of April. He was late for "personal reasons" and nothing further was explained. He was reportedly in good shape when he reported. As of today the Rock Cats have played 22 games so he's just under halfway through his suspension. I wonder if they count rainouts? The Miracle have played 25 games. Maybe he could report to them if they finish 50 games first then move up to New Britain a week or two later. I will be curious to see how they handle him as far as the possible need for some "rehab starts" when his suspension is up.

I'm excited to actually get to see how Eddie does. Hopefully he's healthy and well rested when his season eventually starts.

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Here is a link to a story on Rosario by Len 3 in the Strib today.

http://www.startribu.../257268071.html
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#4 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Thanks! I did a search on him today too but didn't see anything newer than April 19th.

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

50 games will be up soon.

If he is starting in Fort Myers, is it 50 of their games? They are at 49. Since he ended in New Britain, does he need to wait out 50 New Britain games? They are at 47.

I think that Vargas had to wait out 50 Elizabethton games though he was slated to play in Beloit.

#6 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

He finished the year at NB so he will have to wait for their 50 games to be up and then he can be asigned to a team, I believe?... He may spend some time in FM to start but I think there is more room in NB for him to play and not affect other prospects (Polanco, Goodrum) and I would like for them to not take away bats from Mejia. There are at-bats to be had in AA.

#7 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Latest report said he was going to be playing outfield and some 2B it sounds like. Yes, Chance, you are correct because he was assigned to the AA roster he has to wait for them to complete 50 games so likely he'll debut later this week. I am guessing the plan is New Britain. He really doesn't have much to prove after tearing up High A and holding his own in New Britain last year. That and the fact that as jorgenswest pointed out, theres' not a lot of room for a middle infielder right now at High A.

I'm still hoping they keep him at 2B even with the emergence of Dozier. Even if he does end up in the outfield for the Twins it would be a nice asset to have a guy that can play 2B and start in the outfield. Plus he is worth a heck of a lot more in a trade if he stays at 2B.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Not me, I want him in LF, in Target Field, next year. He's worth nothing in AAA next year. This team needs help. Start putting your best minor leaguers on a path to do that.
Lighten up Francis....

#9 jimv2

jimv2

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Latest report said he was going to be playing outfield and some 2B it sounds like. Yes, Chance, you are correct because he was assigned to the AA roster he has to wait for them to complete 50 games so likely he'll debut later this week. I am guessing the plan is New Britain. He really doesn't have much to prove after tearing up High A and holding his own in New Britain last year.

I think the Twins were quoted as saying he'd start in Ft Myers to work the rust off and they'd put him in AA once the rust is all gone.

#10 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

I think the Twins were quoted as saying he'd start in Ft Myers to work the rust off and they'd put him in AA once the rust is all gone.

I thought I heard that too to be honest but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He should have been knocking the rust off in extended spring training. I can understand with major league guys starting them off in the minors so they don't hurt the major league team but I don't agree with that same stance for minor league players going to a lower level. Especially when the team they are supposed to be going to isn't all that competitive anyhow. Unless they plan to move one of the guys like Micheal, Goodrum, Polanco up then I would rather he go straight to New Britain. I guess we'll find out one way or another tomorrow.

#11 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

Scratch that, I forgot Levi Micheal is injured right now. I guess get him going anywhere, I'm just excited one of our top 5 is back. Now we wait on Mr. Buxton.

#12 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Well, Well, Well. Look who's playing Center field for the Miracle's tonight. :)
http://www.milb.com/...=g_box&sid=milb

#13 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Eddie's been back for about a week now and has played in 6 games hitting .227/.346/.227 and 4BB with 5 K's in 22 at bats. Pretty much meaningless stats at this time.

What's interesting is that he's been playing in CF. I expected he would get some time in the outfield but I was assuming it would be in a corner due to the presence of Buxton in the system. So far he's started in CF four games and moved mid game from 2B to CF once as well and started at 2B the other two games. I'm glad he's working on both positions, maybe the Twins are trying to revolutionize the league by churning out middle infield-CF prospects or something.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

What's interesting is that he's been playing in CF. I expected he would get some time in the outfield but I was assuming it would be in a corner due to the presence of Buxton in the system.

I don't find this surprising at all. There's virtually nothing that a corner outfielder has to do that a centerfielder doesn't have to do better and more often... Maybe playing balls off a wall. That's about all I can think of that a corner guy has to do more often than a CF.

And that's not a terribly difficult skill to pick up on the fly (and it's not as if CF never have to play balls off the wall).

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Just seems like a kneejerk reaction on the Twins part, to having no backup CF options this year when an injury or two struck, and to plan ahead for a few years to make sure it doesn't occur again. Which is fine. I think it's a smart policy to have many decent corner OFers learn the intricacies of the routes et cetera that a CF needs to be prepared for. Guys like Kubel and Willingham will not be called on to cover CF under any circumstances at this stage of their careers, but even a slow but young guy like Parmelee, who apparently takes good routes in RF, would be a useful 3rd stringer in CF if he had several dozen games worth of experience there (which he does not). I'm not advocating turning every young player into a utility/fourth outfielder, and guys who project as absolutely solid starters on the corners maybe don't need to expand their repertoire, but if in doubt, give them something to put on their resumes for CF.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 04 June 2014 - 02:38 PM.
clarification

#16 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

I just didn't think he projected to be a CF from reports I've read in the past. What Brock is saying makes sense as well that even if they think he's going to be a corner guy it doesn't hurt to play center. I wouldn't complain if he ended up being a guy that can play all three outfield positions and 2B to boot. Can't over react from 6 games either so it will be interesting at the end of the year to see where he spent his time defensively.

#17 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

Eddie looks like he got that rust off rather quickly. He moved up to New Britain and over three games is hitting .462/.500/.769/1.269 with a homer and a double. His overall line over 11 games is .349/.417/.442/.859 between High A and AA.

The only bad part is he's striking out every 4th at bat roughly but again with all these numbers SSS is huge. Nice to see him off to a good start.

Defensively I haven't heard any reports but he has been splitting time between CF and 2B. Really hope he's good enough to handle both positions as it would give the Twins some ultimate flexibility both in getting on the major league team eventually as well as in a trade scenario should Buxton and Dozier take command of those two positions.

[TABLE="class: dataTableClass"]
[TR="class: dataRow highlightRow even"]
[TD="class: dataCell, align: center"].417[/TD]
[TD="class: dataCell, align: center"].442[/TD]
[TD="class: dataCell, align: center"].859[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

There is a singular reason that he is playing CF. Aaron Hicks and the disaster that CF has been the last two seasons.

He was projected as a guy that could stick in CF but would be a better corner OF'er. He was not considered a long term answer in CF due to Buxton, Hicks and Revere already being in the system and 2B was a big position of need. Ironically CF is the current position of need so he's there and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a shot in a month or two.

#19 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

Eddie Rosario has now played 16 games with today being his 17th at AA his line not counting todays game is [TABLE="class: sortable stats_table"]
[TR="class: partial_table"]
[TD="align: right"].299[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].356[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].403[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].759[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
That's solid but not spectacular. It's a slight improvement over his 2013 numbers there and still a pretty small sample to judge anything from.

The more intriguing storyline continues to be where he's playing at in AA. In these sixteen games he's played 2B in 6 CF in 10 and LF in 2 (some he played more than one position in the game). He's starting at 2B today. So for now it seems he's playing 30-40% at 2B after playing all of his games there in 2013. It would really be interesting to see in a parallel universe with a decent Aaron Hicks and/or a healthy Byron Buxton where they would be starting him. It's pretty obvious that Dozier has 2B locked up unless they decide to give him another shot at SS which I don't think they will.

I like that they have him at both positions right now as it increases flexibility in a number of ways. He could come up and play 2B in the majors as well as outfield but also that it increases his trade value if other teams think he can handle 2B.

I could go look this up but what position is better offensively throughout the majors? 2B or CF? I would have to think CF but not by a lot. Either way if other teams feel that he can handle either position in the majors we just increased value and likely the number of trade partners should he be traded. Considering that long term he is hopefully blocked at both of these positions by Buxton and Dozier I can see that being a likely future for him. However, if his bat picks up as he matures and he can show to be a .800 OPS guys in the majors well then he could probably play in a corner.

This guy has a very cloudy future as to where he'll end up on the field and IMO what team he ends up on but I love that he's a Twin right now. Hopefuly he can hit for a bit more power and keep developing at both positions for now.

#20 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Added flexibility for Rosario comes from Buxton's potential offensive prowess while manning CF. Part of what has made the Mauer-to-first transition not totally terrible is the fact that there has been very good offensive production from his replacements behind the plate, especially Suzuki. Rosario in LF is made a greater possibility down the road by the over-production at other positions. I still like the Rosario-Buxton-Hicks OF in full by 2016 if they all are going to be fully ready and able.

#21 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Added flexibility for Rosario comes from Buxton's potential offensive prowess while manning CF. Part of what has made the Mauer-to-first transition not totally terrible is the fact that there has been very good offensive production from his replacements behind the plate, especially Suzuki. Rosario in LF is made a greater possibility down the road by the over-production at other positions. I still like the Rosario-Buxton-Hicks OF in full by 2016 if they all are going to be fully ready and able.

I don't have a problem with that at all it also gives them a backup CF and 2B on the roster should an injury occur. It will be interesting to see how he develops. If he's good enough to play those positions in the MLB he might be worth more in trade for the Twins than in a corner spot. If that happens well then its a good position for the Twins to be in either way. I'll wait for Buxton to get healthy or Hicks to get better before I get worried too much about him being blocked in CF though. Where is Arcia in your scenario? DH? I was thinking that might be Vargas spot in 2016.