Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Adam Brett Walker II - 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#41 Secondary User

Secondary User

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:18 AM

I think 2015 is going to be a very decisive year for Adam.AA is the toughest jump to make in the minors, and he has the type of profile (power with a low hit tool) that could fizzle very quickly.I believe they'll have to put him on the 40 man after next season, so this will be a very important for him.

Edited by Secondary User, 02 September 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#42 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

I think 2015 is going to be a very decisive year for Adam.AA is the toughest jump to make in the minors, and he has the type of profile (power with a low hit tool) that could fizzle very quickly.I believe they'll have to put him on the 40 man after next season, so this will be a very important for him.

I agree - But if the Twins don't put him on the 40 man roster with what he's done over the first 3 seasons - Another team will pick him up with the intentions of fixing whatever flaw they find.His talent is undeniable.His potential is the only thing holding bloggers from joining his band wagon. I don't know if there was a better minor league figure head than Chris Colabello.Great Average - Great Slugging % - Great minor league stas up and down the board.Fizzled.No one would have predicted Vargas would have the success he's having now so early.You never know and potential will never take the place of results. That's what Walker brings you every year.His style of play will always leave you saying "not sure if he can do that next year".Like everyone said about Dozier.

#43 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

I agree - But if the Twins don't put him on the 40 man roster with what he's done over the first 3 seasons - Another team will pick him up with the intentions of fixing whatever flaw they find.His talent is undeniable.His potential is the only thing holding bloggers from joining his band wagon. I don't know if there was a better minor league figure head than Chris Colabello.Great Average - Great Slugging % - Great minor league stas up and down the board.Fizzled.No one would have predicted Vargas would have the success he's having now so early.You never know and potential will never take the place of results. That's what Walker brings you every year.His style of play will always leave you saying "not sure if he can do that next year".Like everyone said about Dozier.

I appreciate your undying support for Adam Walker, he seems like a great, hardworking Midwestern kid from a great family.  I would argue that Walker's potential is the main thing that keeps him on every bloggers "intriguing" list, the power and athleticism are undeniable.  The flaws in his game at this level are also undeniable.

Regarding Cola and Vargas,...  those of us that were skeptical on a 30 year old succeeding from 8 years in Indy ball, there was very little to indicate that what he did would somehow translate to the major leagues.  But regarding Vargas,  I must say that having followed him for the last 3 years, and then especially noticing his major adjustment that he made in late April of this year, which included a very favorable increase in his BB% coupled with a nice reduction in his K%, suggested that he had a decent chance for success at the major league level, and I called for his promotion on the Twins West Coast swing in June when the Twins were short a bat (and chose Hermann, instead)...  not because of any prescience on my part, just that the numbers he was putting up were supported by high contact rates and very solid plate discipline for a guy who came in with a rep as a free-swinging big bopper.  I'm anxious to see Walker take similar steps next season, if he does, he'll get a great deal more respect from the Twins organization than batting 7th in a playoff game.

Edited by jokin, 02 September 2014 - 08:20 PM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#44 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

We will see this time next year.Similar season and similar commentary."AAA will be the level that tells what we can expect from Walker":)

BTW - 4 BB (walks) and 2 runs scored in a 8-7 playoff win tonight.

When the lights are on, he has shined brightest...........................Gotta love all these night games

#45 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,090 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

We will see this time next year.Similar season and similar commentary."AAA will be the level that tells what we can expect from Walker":)

BTW - 4 BB (walks) and 2 runs scored in a 8-7 playoff win tonight.

When the lights are on, he has shined brightest...........................Gotta love all these night games

ABW walked twice against strikeout machine, Pirate phenom,  MLB Top 100, Tyler Glasnow (Glasnow struck out 8 tonight in 3+ IP).  Good for him.  If he can get the K rate down next year, just South of 20% and his BB% just North of 10%, he will be on his way.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."