Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Max Kepler - 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#41 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:17 AM

I did attend the 27 Aug 14 game in Bradenton.Max did not get a hit that night.On a positive note, he did hit a foul ball to me.He also signed it for me after the game too.Unfortunately, I could not attend Game 1 of the FSL playoffs when the Miracle beat the marauders in Bradenton.I will not be able to see any of the Daytona-Ft Myers FSL League Championship Series either. 

#42 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

I did attend the 27 Aug 14 game in Bradenton.Max did not get a hit that night.On a positive note, he did hit a foul ball to me.He also signed it for me after the game too.Unfortunately, I could not attend Game 1 of the FSL playoffs when the Miracle beat the marauders in Bradenton.I will not be able to see any of the Daytona-Ft Myers FSL League Championship Series either. 

Thanks for the update! (Nice job snagging a Kepler foul ball too!)

• aastyer likes this

#43 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Max and the Miracle (free band name to anyone interested) finished off their season by winning the FSL Championship last night. Max didn't have the greatest championship series, finishing 2-16 without driving in a run. The prior series against Bradenton was much better, as Max finished 4 for 7 in two games.

After a slow start to the season, Max really caught fire in the last two months. For the season, he finished with a slash line of .264/.333/.393 with 5 home runs, 59 RBI and 62 strike outs. His power numbers did drop off a bit, but with the injuries Max battled on and off all season, the overall numbers aren't too alarming.

Even better - Max decreased his K% in 2014 while his BB% remained relatively unchanged.

It will be interesting to see what the Twins decide to do with Max entering the next season. He will play in the Arizona Fall League - which should help him make up for lost at bats from earlier this year. A strong performance in the AFL could dictate a promotion to AA. However, the Twins could certainly be justified in wanting to see Max play strong for a majority of a season, thereby leaving him in Fort Myers. Either way, Max finished the year strong and should still be considering amongst the upper echelon of Twins prospects.

Edited by iTwins, 09 September 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#44 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

After a slow start to the season, Max really caught fire in the last two months. For the season, he finished with a slash line of .264/.333/.393 with 5 home runs, 59 RBI and 62 strike outs. His power numbers did drop off a bit, but with the injuries Max battled on and off all season, the overall numbers aren't too alarming.

Even better - Max decreased his K% in 2014 while his BB% remained relatively unchanged.

It will be interesting to see what the Twins decide to do with Max entering the next season. He will play in the Arizona Fall League - which should help him make up for lost at bats from earlier this year. A strong performance in the AFL could dictate a promotion to AA. However, the Twins could certainly be justified in wanting to see Max play strong for a majority of a season, thereby leaving him in Fort Myers. 

It was really a tale of two seasons for Kepler at Ft Myers.Perhaps he was (finally) free of injuries, perhaps he altered his approach at the plate, or perhaps he's finally maturing, or maybe all three, as the contrast in these numbers is stark:

April 1-July 11:  K% 22.5%OPS .622 ISO .099wRC+ 80

July 13-Sep 8:   K% 11.0%OPS .835 ISO .142 wRC+ 140

Max is on the (roster) clock,I'd really like to think that July 13 was the jump off point to the acceleration phase in his career trajectory.I hope that both he and the club have the sense of urgency to build on these last 2 months and produce a very solid offseason, starting with the AFL, and looking to not be left behind the rest of the Miracle championship crew going into 2015.