Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Max Kepler - 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#21 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]

User Actions
Following

Posted ImageBrice Zimmerman@ZimMiracle

[/FONT]
[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]Fine diving grab in RCF by Max Kepler to end the 6th. Max looks good, running well and a much more level swing than before DL stint.

[/FONT]
The above tweet from Miracle play by play guy Brice Zimmerman is a nice sign. Prior to his DL stint, Kepler was struggling mightily and looked out of sorts from last season. Since coming off the DL, Kepler has tallied some hits and even flashed a bit of power - all great signs for one of the better prospects in the Twins' system.

To date, Kepler is hitting:

YearAgeAgeDifTmLgLevAffGPAABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPSTBGDPHBPSHSFIBB
201421-1.7FortMyersFLORA+MIN52209184294264331311935.228.313.353.6666534110

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 6/27/2014.
[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]
[/FONT]

#22 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Max continues to post good but not great numbers in Fort Myers. He is young for the league and certainly has room to grow, so while his rough season is a bit of a bummer, I wouldn't be concerned as of yet.

He's played all over the field this season, logging in nearly half of his games in CF (51 of 63 games). While he's still likely a corner OF long term, it's nice to see he has the defensive range to cover CF in a pinch. To date, Max is hitting:

[thead][/thead]
201421-1.7FortMyersFLORA+MIN63251222335094337412345.225.308.342.6507634110
Generated 7/10/2014.

#23 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

It looks like an injury earlier in the season may have been messing with Kepler's swing. After starting off cold, then spending a few weeks on the DL in June, Max has returned to the Miracle lineup and his beginning to post multi-hit games with some regularity. His power numbers are still a bit below his career norms, but his average and OBP are beginning to climb to a more reasonable level. It's nice to see Max starting to turn things around, hopefully he can continue to build on this momentum.

As of 7/21, Max is posting the following numbers in Fort Myers:

[thead][/thead]
201421-1.6FortMyersFLORA+MIN702782443758104339412647.238.319.348.6678534220
Generated 7/21/2014.

#24 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

I saw Max is back on the DL. Is he travelling with the team? I was hoping to see him play in Tampa tonight.

As of 7/21, Max is posting the following numbers in Fort Myers:

Year
Tm
Lg
Lev
Aff
G
PA
AB
R
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
SB
CS
BB
SO
BA
OBP
SLG
OPS
TB
GDP
HBP
SH
SF
IBB
FortMyers
FLOR
A+
MIN

Generated 7/21/2014.[/QUOTE]

#25 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

I saw Max is back on the DL. Is he travelling with the team? I was hoping to see him play in Tampa tonight.

The most frustrating part about covering Max this year has been trying to find out ANY news from the Miracle. I follow multiple minor league reporters on Twitter along with Miracle PxP guy Brice Zimmerman (as well as the Miracle themselves, obviously). I also have a Google alert set up for ANY Max Kepler news and I still can only really find updates by checking the roster page everyday.

In short - it's tough to get news from this team. I'm not sure WHY Max is back on the 7 day DL (I'll post when I find out, I'm doing some research this morning to see if I can find something) so I'm not sure A) how severe the injury is or B) if he's traveling with the team.

#26 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thank you very much. I will attend the game. Maybe he will be there. I hope so.

#27 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thank you very much. I will attend the game. Maybe he will be there. I hope so.

If you see him, ask him why he's on the DL. It may be the fastest way to find an answer! (I'm kidding...kinda...)

#28 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

I hope to meet and talk to him. I will ask him. My wife is German. I closely follow how Max and Don Lutz are doing in baseball.

#29 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Max did not travel with the team to Tampa. I was told he injured a finger.

#30 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Max has been activated from the DL and is back in the Miracle lineup tonight.

• aastyer likes this

#31 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Max returned to the Miracle lineup on Tuesday and promptly went 2 for 3, with a walk. On Wednesday's win, he went 1 for 4, but plated two RBI. In Thursday's loss, he finished 1 for 4 once again and manged to tab two RBI (of the Miracle's three runs).

With Byron Buxton playing CF for the Miracle (for now) Max has shifted back towards RF - his more natural position.

• aastyer likes this

#32 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Max has been posting better numbers since returning at the beginning of the month and has been an improved hitter for much of the second half of the season. Since the middle of July, Max is hitting .370/.443/.500/ and has seen his strikeout rate reduce slightly as well.

That's been nice to see as the Twins prospect had struggled for much of the first half of the season and looked to not be progressing as much as the team (and Twins fans) had hoped. Injuries have held back Max a bit, slowing his production and growth each time he started to get on a hot streak. It was beginning to look like Max would need to return to Fort Myers to start 2015, but his late season turn around could put him back on pace to move to New Britain in 2015. (Although starting the year in Fort Myers wouldn't be a bad thing as he's missed a good deal of time this season and could use a chance to really succeed at this level before moving on).

For the season, Max is now hitting:

Year Age AgeDif      Tm Lg Lev AffGPAABRH 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BAOBPSLGOPSTB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2014  21 -1.6 FortMyers FLORA+ MIN 80 320 282 39 71 14534641 29 52 .252 .330 .369 .699 104 3 522 0

Generated 8/11/2014.

Edited by iTwins, 11 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

• aastyer likes this

#33 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

Thank you for the updates.I plan to travel to Bradenton on the 20th and 27th of August to see the Miracle play in person.I hope Max is healthy and in the line up those nights.It is good to see he is back and hitting well. 

#34 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Max Kepler continued his red hot second half by going 3 for 4 with a triple and an RBI last night against the St. Lucie Mets. Kepler also added a walk to his totals. Max is now hitting .253/.335/.374 for 2014, but those numbers are rising fast. Over the last 10 games, Max is hitting .351 with 4 RBI, 3 BB and 6 strikeouts. 

• aastyer likes this

#35 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

I saw Max play tonight in Bradenton.I got a chance to talk to him too.He is a very nice guy.His thumb still is dinged up.However, he did hit a HR and draw a BB tonight. 

Edited by aastyer, 20 August 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#36 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:02 AM

I wish I would have seen Kep's Grand Slam in Bradenton last night....

#37 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Max has been red hot since coming back from his most recent DL stint. He tallied his 17th double during Saturday's 7-3 Miracle loss and knocked in a (reportedly) beautiful grand slam during Thursday 5-2 Miracle win. (The homer came in the top of the 9th, if there's bonus points for dramatics, Max earned them here).

As has been the case all season with the Miracle, there's not much in the way of video to show Max's slam, but firsthand Twitter reports said it looked nice...so, take that for what it's worth, I suppose.

Max also made a nice outfield assit during Friday's game, nailing a runner attempting to stretch a single into a double.

For the season, he's hitting .260/.333/.391 but those numbers are held down by his very slow start. Since returning in July, he's simply been one of the best hitters on the Miracle roster.

• aastyer likes this

#38 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

The Twins annoucned today that Max will be playing in the Arizona Fall League after the minor league season ends.

The move makes a lot of sense for the young outfielder. Max has missed large portions of the season due to various injuries but is just now "hitting his stride" and playing at (or as close as he's been to) full health. The AFL will give Max a chance to make up for some lost at bats from earlier this year.

• aastyer likes this

#39 aastyer

aastyer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

I hope to go see Max play one last time tonight down in Bradenton.Thank you for the updates.I am glad to see he will play AFL again.

Edited by aastyer, 27 August 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#40 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,603 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

I hope to go see Max play one last time tonight down in Bradenton.Thank you for the updates.I am glad to see he will play AFL again.

Send back a report if you have the chance,aastyer.:jump:

• aastyer likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."