Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Stephen Gonsalves - 2014

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nfisch22

nfisch22

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Stephen Gonsalves
LHP
6’5” 190lbs
2013 Draft: 4th Rd/110 ovr.
High School: Cathedral Catholic (San Diego, CA)

Gonsalves could end up being the steal of the 2013 draft. His high school season was a bit disappointing last year and many teams chose to pass on him. Part of this was due to being suspended for a month in the middle of the season. Here is his explanation for what happened courtesy of twincities.com:

"There were four kids on my team that got stupid and decided to smoke pot in a hotel room after a loss," said Gonsalves, who signed with the Twins on Wednesday afternoon. "One of them was my roommate, so I had to get him back to my room."

"I went back to the school and lied about it," Gonsalves said. "My involvement was very little. The thing I got in trouble for was lying to the dean, covering up for people."

This turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the Twins as they were able to add one of the top prep left handers in the draft class in round four, and a guy who has a very high ceiling. They did go over slot to sign Gonsalves but I think it was well worth the extra money. He’s real lanky right now, but at 6’5” he has plenty of frame to grow into.

2013 Stats
In the GCL last year Gonsalves appeared in five games, starting two. In 14 1/3 innings he gave up eight hits, seven walks and struck out eighteen. He had a 0.63 ERA in the GCL.

He was promoted to the Appy league where he made three more starts, registering twenty one strikeouts while giving up ten hits and four walks. His ERA in Elizabethton was 1.29 over 14 innings.

His total stat line for the 2013 year:
W L ERA IP H BB K
2 1 0.95 28.1 18 11 39

Gonsalves is going to start in extended spring training this year with a promotion to Cedar Rapids in the near future, joining Kohl Stewart as a solid 1-2 punch at the top of that rotation. I could see him, as well as Stewart, reaching Ft. Myers this year if he continues with his success on the hill.

Edited by nfisch22, 01 April 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#2 nfisch22

nfisch22

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

After a long few months the short season teams have finally started playing. Last night the E-Town twins took the field to open their season. On the hill was my adopt a prospect Stephen Gonsalves. He started the game and went 4 innings giving up 2 earned runs. Over 4 innings he struck out 4, walked 1 and gave up 3 hits. Not a great outing but one that he can build upon. He finished last year at E-Town and if he starts finding success a promotion could be in his future.

#3 nfisch22

nfisch22

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Through 3 starts Gonsalves has pitched 14 innings, has 14 SO and only 3 walks. His ERA stands at 3.21. He's had very good control so far as the 3 walks indicate but has struggled with not allowing hits. His H/9 is at 7.7 which is 2-3 more H/9 than he was giving up last year across two levels.

#4 nfisch22

nfisch22

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Finally my adopt a prospect Stephen Gonsalves was promoted. He was 2-0 with a 2.79 ERA through 6 starts for Elizabethton. In his first start in Cedar Rapids today, Gonsalves went 6 innings giving up 3 hits and most importantly no runs. Lets hope he can continue this roll he's been on!!