Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Who's your favorite Twin in 2014

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

It used to be easy for me. I never really had to think about it. When I was little my favorite player was Kirby Puckett. Puck retired after the 95 season and I got away from the game a bit while I was growing up. Radke was my favorite, but I wasn't close to the game. And as I got older, and came back to baseball as an adult, I fell in love again; Michael Cuddyer was my favorite Twin, year after year from 2004 until his departure following 2011. #5. And then he was gone.

In the years since Cuddy has been out of Minnesota, it's been hard for me to settle on a favorite player. in 2012 I was all excited about Brian Dozier and that silky smooth head of hair, but I soured on him a bit, even after he moved over to the right side of the infield and started showing some skills with his bat. I've never been a Joe Mauer guy, and as much as I like Glen Perkins, it's hard for me to get excited about and latch onto a relief pitcher. In 2013 I again put my faith in a young exciting player and Aaron Hicks didn't do much to keep my affections (I am, however, still a big Aaron Hicks fan, i expect big things from him in 2014).

This season I've settled on Mike Pelfrey. I can't explain it. I'm excited for Big Pelf. He's like a miniature sasquatch. I want him to do well. I like how quick he's been pitching this spring, and I just feel like I can compell him to do well in 2014.

Who's your favorite this season?

Edited by Paul Pleiss, 31 March 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

would start Pinto

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'm with you-Cuddyer was my guy.

My new guy is Hicksie. He plays with self assurance in the outfield and I think he can outhit his projections. Especially after a couple nice rips off Sale today. It will be fun when he robs his first home run this year :)

#3 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Arcia til Sano arrives.

#4 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

Colabello and Gibson for what they've been through to get here.

#5 drunksam

drunksam

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Joe Mauer. Even though he doesn't hit home runs or eat new born babies :(
Better looking with the lights out.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,277 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Cuddyer was my all-time favorite. I now have settled on Dozier as "my guy". I have a half-dozen that I will cheer a bit harder for--Gibson, Pinto, Duensing, Burton (met his grandparents), Perkins, and Plouffe--and some have pretty good stories--Colabello & Pelfrey--so they are easy to root for.

#7 SydneyTwinsFan

SydneyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

I will really be cheering some of the new guys to do well - Hicks, Arcia, Pinto & Gibson
I also found myself oddly pulling for Correia in the face of adversity last year

#8 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

Current team ... Dozier, no question. But maybe a little Pinto mixed in. :)
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

I don't tend to latch onto players but I've been bullish on Arcia for years. He's probably my favorite now, though Hicks is close.

It's too easy to cheer for Joe. He's inhumanly good at baseball which takes a bit of the fun out of cheering for him.

#10 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

I can't play favorites: Josmil Pinto and Oswaldo Acia.

#11 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

I'm pulling for Jason

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

I'm a fan of local guys making good, so Perkins is definitely one, but moreso Thielbar as a SDSU kid.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,320 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

I love Arcia and his zeal for the game. He's got swagger, and he has fun. I love watching him trot around the bases making the "O" shape with his hands above his head. I hope to see a lot more of that this year.

#14 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

I'm pulling for Jason

ISWYDT. "Well played Mauer."

#15 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Joe Mauer. Even though he doesn't hit home runs or eat new born babies :(

YET.

Joe didn't eat his own new born babies, but have you seen the infant death rate in Minnesota since his arrived with the big league ball club? It's up, WAY UP! I suspect bi-lateral leg weakness was a result of not eating enough new born babies, but I've been unable to confirm or deny through my network of sources.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

I'm pulling for Jason

What? Which one is it? Marquis or Tyner coming out of retirement?

#17 Mai.K

Mai.K

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Chris Colabello + Kyle Gibson and Kevin Slowey (MIA)

#18 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

There's too many to name, it's hard to narrow it down. I know I criticize the team and its players all the time, but I truly want to see them do well. Last year my guy was Dozier. I loved the progress I saw out of him last year.

This year, I'm really pulling for Aaron Hicks to figure it out. I think he was overwhelmed last year and he clearly has the tools. I really want to see him put it together. Good start today!

Another guy I love on this team is Colabello. He's got one of the best road to the big leagues stories I've heard. Today when he got the first hit of the season, I said to my roommate that if they were to make a movie about him, that's the end of it. Great story.

The pitcher I was extremely excited to see make the team is Kyle Gibson. As a former top prospect who's gone through a lot of adversity, I really want to see him succeed in a make or break year of sorts. I think he has the talent to become a solid 3-4 in the future rotation slotting in behind Meyer and Stewart.

The last guy I want to mention that I get excited about is Eduardo Escobar. I love his personality on the field and think he's a better option today than Pete Florimon. If given the chance I think he could be a semi-valuable role player. I'm all aboard Brad Swanson's #Eddie400 bandwagon!
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#19 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Hicks and Colabello

Pitching... Deduno

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

Hicks. I'm dying for a speed element on this team and would love if he could add to Buxton's infusion down the line.

#21 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

For this year it has to be Chris Colabello for me.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#22 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Hicks - This guy has all the tools to be a very good and exciting MLB player
Deduno - I enjoy watching him pitch
Florimon - I enjoy watching him play SS
Pinto - I hope he turns out to be a really good MLB hitter. I liked what I saw from him last year at the plate

But there's obviously a bunch of other players I like as well, Mauer, Perkins, I was a big Burton fan until he took a step backwards last year. Dozier is improved and is growing on me. I didn't mind Kubel when he was a Twin before. I enjoyed watching Willingham and Plouffe put balls into the seats a couple of years ago. I hope they both have rebound seasons.

I hope Buxton, Meyer and Sano turn out to be good ones for us.

#23 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Colabello and Hicks but ask me again when Meyer makes The Show

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

Stephen Drew.

//ducks//

#25 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Colabello and Thielbar.

#26 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hicks.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

Escobar

got to root for the little guys
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Stephen Drew.

What team is he playing for this year?

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

I love the Collabello story but my favorite is probably Aaron Hicks mostly because I want to see if he can rebound from last year's adversity.

But ask again at the AS break because a new favorite may have emerged.

#30 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

Colabello. This guy is the epitome of someone waiting a long time to finally live their dream. He posted such crazy numbers that eventually the Twins finally couldn't ignore him any longer. Talk about pressure.