Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Opening Day Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox, 3:10 p.m.

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#21 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

I've been watching this Tigers/Royals game. The Tigers defense is truly terrible.

#22 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

I just didn't relish being a lone Twins fan in a sea of black and white for the Sox's home opener. I also didn't relish buying a ticket in the outfield for $75. (Home opener premium pricing.)

I can't relate to the first part. I grew up in Connecticut as a Twins fan among a sea of Red Sox and Yankees fans, and hatin' on them was part of the attraction. Sure, my excuse was being born in MN, but how much of it could I really remember when I left when I was 9 months old?

I can relate to the second part, though. I'm a cheap SOB - that comes with the habit of multiplying the price everything x 8 (wife + six kids.) That $75 ticket just became $600, or $300 if I can talk her into letting me just take the boys. That TV sounds pretty good, and I can always log on the ESPN to heckle White Sox fans.

#23 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

If he screws up their plans maybe they just fire him.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,693 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids Michigan

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

A thought... (welcome to be incorporated in the official listing, if it fits)

Cleansing the palate. From context, it seems to have to do with getting ready to appreciate the finer tastes/points of something.

How does one cleanse one's palate for opening day?

I lick a baseball... I'm licking one right now.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#25 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

It didn't take long for Gardy to move Mauer out of the 2 hole. Now the walk count to 100 begins. It's good to see Colabello get the start, and with a couple of hits too!

#26 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Don't mess up your lipstick!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#27 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 9,309 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

ish (that comment was for Chief)

Idiots will be idiots. Recognize it and don't be one yourself or engage in pointless dialog. Unless you are trying to entertain yourself.

#28 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 9,309 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

A thought... (welcome to be incorporated in the official listing, if it fits)

Cleansing the palate. From context, it seems to have to do with getting ready to appreciate the finer tastes/points of something.

How does one cleanse one's palate for opening day?

Drink lots of good beer.

Idiots will be idiots. Recognize it and don't be one yourself or engage in pointless dialog. Unless you are trying to entertain yourself.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,693 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

ish (that comment was for Chief)

How else do you make the baseball dive and dart in different directions.

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Your fresh and new, at least for one day, 2014 Mn Twins.
https://encrypted-tb...MIvHLpkvw1pWQFr

Are those actual Twins or is that a before and after splice with the one on the left representing our wide-eyed optimism of opening day and the one on the right depicting the rest of the summer?

Edited by nicksaviking, 31 March 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#31 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Required opening day prep - links only for the videos due to the limit of 1 embedded video per post:

Who's On First?

Centerfield

In case it gets too depressing around here, at least we’re not Cubs fans. A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request:

Optional Extra Credit:
Van Lingle Mungo – I wouldn’t add this one because it’s too slow for opening day, but Dave Frishberg is a Twin Cities guy and was one of my father’s friends from his school days.

Study up - just under 1 hour until first pitch.

Edited by gil4, 31 March 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#32 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,775 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Things to think about:

1 Opening Day -- Unless your team is playing in the World Series. Opening day is simply the best day of the year for all teams. It's been a long winter... Still going in my case as I look at a blizzard out my window. Opening Day... Is the first look at the team and a day that anything is possible.

No Snow Day like Seth?

3. ....
On this date in 1985... ABC aired the 200th episode of the Love Boat. 95% of everyone is perplexed that Fred Grandy was in 200 episodes of anything... I was always impressed that all Love Boat episodes could be watched by 5 year olds without needing a birds and bees discussion immediately after.

I actually live in his congressional district .... it always amazed me that my fellow northwest Iowans would vote for him .... but what we have now is so much more laughable (in a sad, sad way).

4. Platoon? -- Colabello starting against a left hander. Kubel on the bench. Is it possible a Platoon is getting started. It's been awhile since the Twins have utilized a platoon and it been awhile since I've seen the movie platoon.

"Platoon"? Wasn't that a sequel to "Major League"?

5. Game Threads -- Welcome to the first official game thread of 2014... Everyone is welcome to participate... Just jump in... Try not to be too serious and no bad moods and you are good to go.

​RB's "Deep Thoughts" -- Now I feel like baseball is really back!!!

Go Twins!!!

Oh, Happy Day!!!

#33 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

You gotta love our rotation compared to last year...tough to remember we came into last year with Worley, Correia, Pelfrey (recovering from TJ), Hendricks and DeVries...Ouch!

What I like about today's lineup: Dozier leading off...he's had good success against Sale. Colabello starting over Kubel.

What I don't like: Suzuki in the 2 hole. Willingham batting cleanup...I recognize there aren't many options, but man he was clueless in spring training, and he hits .176 with 10 K's in 17 ABs against Sale. Florimon starting ahead of Escobar against a LHP, especially when he doesn't seem ready after his appendectomy.

#34 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,775 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

OOPS!! must have been a sequel to "Platoon" :)

Got that, Gardy? Try using a Platoon and the Twins just might move to Major League!

#35 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Are those actual Twins or is that a before and after splice with the one on the left representing our wide-eyed optimism of opening day and the one on the right depicting the rest of the summer?

She's just happy to be going to the game. He just found out Suzuki is hitting in the 2-hole.

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Take two:

No diapers? Ryan's showing a lot of faith that these twins aren't going to crap all over themselves.

#37 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Over on the Pittsburgh game- liriano made it through 6 innings with no earned runs and 10 Ks. Good to see. I'm sadden it didn't happen here but I'm glad he was able to figure it out (and not in LA, NY or BOS).

#38 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,693 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Photo taken after St. Paul was informed that Target Field would be built in Minneapolis.

You also can't see a River of Pee in between them.

#39 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Where is that beer vendor!?!?!?

#40 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Played hooky today and my palate has been cleansed with beer:), listening on the radio as beer is more important than cable:p
Watching K.C. and Tigers on mlb.com. K.C. may be for real , this year.