Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

MLB.TV now included with MLB Extra Innings

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

I just discovered that MLB.tv is included in your cable/satellite MLB package, like MLB extra innings.

Here's the link on how to connect your mlb.com account to your cable/satellite provider.

https://secure.mlb.com/tv/activate/

#2 DaNutz

DaNutz

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

I just discovered that MLB.tv is included in your cable/satellite MLB package, like MLB extra innings.

Here's the link on how to connect your mlb.com account to your cable/satellite provider.

https://secure.mlb.com/tv/activate/

This is great! Best of both worlds.

#3 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

For me that's not an incentive to go out and get MLB extra innings with my cable package. I used to have it, but it costs more than MLB.tv and the games were in standard definition. I just get MLB.tv now because it's cheaper, the games are in HD and I can watch whenever I want. Perhaps things have changed since 2011, but I doubt it's cheaper than just getting MLB.tv.

#4 DaNutz

DaNutz

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Not cheaper for sure. All of the games have been in HD on DirectTV for years. I have bounced between MLB.TV and Extra Innings. I settled back to Extra Innings because of the DVR and because the picture is consistent and great. I did miss being able to stream the game from my computer while working however. So this is a nice benefit for me personally to have it both.

For me that's not an incentive to go out and get MLB extra innings with my cable package. I used to have it, but it costs more than MLB.tv and the games were in standard definition. I just get MLB.tv now because it's cheaper, the games are in HD and I can watch whenever I want. Perhaps things have changed since 2011, but I doubt it's cheaper than just getting MLB.tv.

#5 RIP BYTO

RIP BYTO

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

If you have mlb.tv premium you have DVR function. Plus you can control which feed you want and you can access previous games. I take the monthly payment option so when the Twins are 20 games back I can cancel. I kid, I kid!, but not really. I use my roku box and stream the games to my tv in HD. Can't see paying for Extra Innings in my case.

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I tried MLB.tv for August and September, but all of the games were blacked out. I live in Iowa and I guess I'm considered to be in the home market.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#7 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

I wish I had known about this before paying for my mlb.tv package. I might have done otherwise.
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,773 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

I tried MLB.tv for August and September, but all of the games were blacked out. I live in Iowa and I guess I'm considered to be in the home market.

In Iowa, we are the "home market" for:

Twins
Royals
White Sox
Cardinals
Brewers
Cubs

It's why I've never bothered with mlb.tv. I get all of those teams' games in my regular Dish package plus what's on espn, mlb network and various other channels from time-to-time. It's enough baseball coverage for me.

#9 TwinChargers

TwinChargers

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

How long before MLB.TV just lets you pay a premium price and lets you watch the team in your home market? Blackouts be damned, I shouldn't have to get a dish just to watch the Twins. I'll gladly pay MLB more for there service. What is the issue?

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

How long before MLB.TV just lets you pay a premium price and lets you watch the team in your home market? Blackouts be damned, I shouldn't have to get a dish just to watch the Twins. I'll gladly pay MLB more for there service. What is the issue?

Cable companies. They're paying teams absurd amounts to keep local coverage a monopoly and force users into buying cable packages.

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Twins
Royals
White Sox
Cardinals
Brewers
Cubs

It's why I've never bothered with mlb.tv. I get all of those teams' games in my regular Dish package plus what's on espn, mlb network and various other channels from time-to-time. It's enough baseball coverage for me.

When I'm at my apartment during the school year I just have the basic cable package that comes with the apartment. So April, half of May and August, and September I can't watch games. This year I plan on finding places to stream the games online.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,773 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

When I'm at my apartment during the school year I just have the basic cable package that comes with the apartment. So April, half of May and August, and September I can't watch games. This year I plan on finding places to stream the games online.

Jim Crikket and I have had a few conversations about this. Even a lot of the cable companies don't offer all of the teams for which Iowa is "home". It's just a really screwed up situation (which JC would like Bud Selig to correct). With Dish, it works well for me because I don't end up paying for anything extra and still get to see a pretty good variety. But Dish is definitely not the answer for everyone (but Dish has been a better option on all programming than our lone cable option).

Hope you find a good streaming option. :)

#13 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

As someone who travels for work, MLB.tv will be fantastic. I will no longer be relegated to follow the games on gameday. So great to see that MLB recognizes how ridiculous it is to pay for MLB baseball for my home and not have the opportunity to watch it on the road.

What is unfortunate is that they are not promoting this more readily to their subscribers. I had been considering buying MLB.tv and dropping my Directv package, but decided to google whether there was a way to link the accounts and low and behold they had just done so for 2014.

I am sure there are many who are paying for both.

#14 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Twins
Royals
White Sox
Cardinals
Brewers
Cubs

This was the biggest reason for me signing up for Direct TV. There were no cable options for getting Fox Sports North, yet I couldn't watch the games online as I was in the "home market". Thanks archaic blackout rules!

The ONLY option (other than moving) was Direct TV + Sports Package. I hope these blackout rules change sometime. Iowa baseball fans get completely screwed when it comes to these restrictions.

I DO like the MLB.TV and Extra Innings products (I think they're well worth their price) but when you're blacked out from 6 games a night, it's really hard to justify.

Edited by iTwins, 01 April 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#15 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

MLB Extra Innings has a free preview going on right now so I like to use the first week of the season to catch up on all of the ex-Twins. They usually do one after the All-Star break too. I'd never leave my couch if I subscribed for the whole season though!