Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Yangervis Solarte makes the Yankees

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1739292

Solarte beats out 4-year veteran Eduardo Nunez for a spot on the opening day roster. I'm not sure if this is a worse reflection on the condition of the Twins or the Yankees?

Solarte was inexplicably waived outright by the Twins in 2011 at age 23, after slashing .329/.367/.466/.834 at New Britain. He followed that up with respectable years in AAA with the Rangers, OPSing at .745 and .727. He's been on fire this spring, playing in 24 games and slashing .424/.489/.571/.1067.

Interesting quotes from Girardi....Solarte could have opted out if he didn't make the team, he apparently forced Girardi's hand, offering more flexibility and just plain beat out a 4 year Yankee for a spot.

Edited by jokin, 29 March 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#2 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

Solarte spent 6 years in the Twins system. As a 6 year minor league player don't they have the option to be free agents?
Great hitting but it is Spring training stats. As the number of at bats is close to the number of games played I would suspect he has hit mostly late in games.
Nunez did not hit well and can not field well. It wasn't hard to beat outt if Solarte can do both better. If the Yankees had any faith in Nunez they wouldn't have given Solarte a contract. It should not come as too big of shock that he made the team. If at the end of the year he hass an OPSS over .700 I would be amazed.

#3 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

on the other hand, he might be an improvement over some Twins. Don't know, but some of thee bright people posting from the East Coast might know if there is a big hole in his swing. I know, I know, it seems like the bench for the Twins hole in their swing is the size of a strike zone.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

Yes, he became a minor league free agent and the Twins weren't willing to add him to the 40 man roster. I know they wanted to bring him back on a minor league deal but he chose Texas.

That big year with New Britain was interesting but it was really the first year he put up any numbers and stayed healthy.

Also, he doesn't walk, doesn't have much power, doesn't have much speed and was really bad defensively too.

I think UT's great that he had a big spring and made the Yankees opening day roster. That said, the Twins were kind of proven right in their decision.

#5 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Yeah I remember that, as Seth said he was a six year free agent, and without a 40 man spot he decided to try he's luck elsewhere. His lost was a slight bummer, but as is the case with 98% of these players it will have no negative impact on the Twins. In fact we essentially replaced him with Wilkin Ramirez, who can play better defense, is a club house leader, spanish translator for teammates, a future coach, and has played more MLB games than Solarte thus far. We can get upset about the Bensons, Solartes, and other guys who still have value but over the past 15 years there has only been 3 guys I'm upset the Twins just "Let go" out of hundreds of players that were waved or released.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Yes, he became a minor league free agent and the Twins weren't willing to add him to the 40 man roster. I know they wanted to bring him back on a minor league deal but he chose Texas.

That big year with New Britain was interesting but it was really the first year he put up any numbers and stayed healthy.

Also, he doesn't walk, doesn't have much power, doesn't have much speed and was really bad defensively too.

I think UT's great that he had a big spring and made the Yankees opening day roster. That said, the Twins were kind of proven right in their decision.

I hated that move when it happened.

I remember that you also were a bit surprised when he left,:

For a team that has struggled with middle infield development, it’s hard to believe that Solarte would not have been added to the 40 man roster before becoming a free agent.

And after his last year (2011) with the Twins you had him as the 6th best hitter, in the system just behind Sano and well ahead of Parmelee and Arcia among others.

Forget about his teen seasons in Foreign Rookie leagues and in the GCL, but a career .315/.349/.452 line over 152 games in AA is pretty darn good for a middle infielder. Heck, it is better than most of the Twins' MiLB OFs have had.

Hard move to justify, especially in a team that the last 3 seasons had the likes of Clete Thomas, Doug Bernier, Matt Carson, Erik Komatsu, Sean Burroughs, Matt Tolbert, Jason Repko, Brian Dinkelman & Co on the 40- and 25-man rosters some time. And I am not even going to touch their pitchers.

Glad to see that he made the Yankees (Neshek made the Cardinals and Manship made the Phillies rotation btw; the latter saying more about the sorry state of the Phillies and not about Manship)

And in 2014, he might look better in a Twins' uniform as a super utility guy instead on the ghost of Bartlett's past...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Is he a clubhouse chemist though? :roll:

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

I hated that move when it happened.

I remember that you also were a bit surprised when he left,:

And after his last year (2011) with the Twins you had him as the 6th best hitter, in the system just behind Sano and well ahead of Parmelee and Arcia among others.

Forget about his teen seasons in Foreign Rookie leagues and in the GCL, but a career .315/.349/.452 line over 152 games in AA is pretty darn good for a middle infielder. Heck, it is better than most of the Twins' MiLB OFs have had.

Hard move to justify, especially in a team that the last 3 seasons had the likes of Clete Thomas, Doug Bernier, Matt Carson, Erik Komatsu, Sean Burroughs, Matt Tolbert, Jason Repko, Brian Dinkelman & Co on the 40- and 25-man rosters some time. And I am not even going to touch their pitchers.

Glad to see that he made the Yankees (Neshek made the Cardinals and Manship made the Phillies rotation btw; the latter saying more about the sorry state of the Phillies and not about Manship)

And in 2014, he might look better in a Twins' uniform as a super utility guy instead on the ghost of Bartlett's past...

Good research on the history surrounding Solarte's departure, it always pains me too when MIs who show signs of life at the plate are summarily dismissed- as hitting talent seems in much shorter supply than fielding talent. And what was left in the upper minors for MIs in the aftermath of being let go???- besides signing many of the guys you listed above as minor league FAs? Literally as Solarte was being released and signing with Texas in December 2011, the Twins claimed a 6+ year minor leaguer in Florimon, and then traded for Escobar the following summer. Brian Dozier had a breakout year in A+ and AA in 2011- the same year as Solarte's breakout season, thus apparently convincing the Twins FO that they could live with only one bat out of 3 (4 actually, counting Carroll for 2012 and most of 2013) in the MIF by 2013.

And yeah, your concluding sentence was what I was reflecting on given the current state of affairs with the Twins opening day roster. Twins management flatly said they needed to upgrade the offense the entire offseason, and then settled for giving spots to at least 2 guys who may be entirely washed up. And I think it's totally right what Seth said about the suspect areas of Solarte's talents in the field that might have given the Twins pause on choosing to protect him after 2011, but if Seth really rated him 6th best and above Arcia and Parmelee, well....ouch! I'm not sure who they chose to protect that year, instead, it certainly didn't need to be Dozier, only 3 years with the Twins farm system.

But in the end, the promotion of someone as obscure as Solarte to the Yankees major league roster, says just as much, or more, about their own current situation.

Edited by jokin, 30 March 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#9 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

SHOULDA
WOULDA
COULDA

You guys are masochists.

I regret Ortiz, buit that's about it.

#10 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Good research on the history surrounding Solarte's departure, it always pains me too when MIs who show signs of life at the plate are summarily dismissed- as hitting talent seems in much shorter supply than fielding talent. And what was left in the upper minors for MIs in the aftermath of being let go???- besides signing many of the guys you listed above as minor league FAs? Literally as Solarte was being released and signing with Texas in December 2011, the Twins claimed a 6+ year minor leaguer in Florimon, and then traded for Escobar the following summer. Brian Dozier had a breakout year in A+ and AA in 2011- the same year as Solarte's breakout season, thus apparently convincing the Twins FO that they could live with only one bat out of 3 (4 actually, counting Carroll for 2012 and most of 2013) in the MIF by 2013.

And yeah, your concluding sentence was what I was reflecting on given the current state of affairs with the Twins opening day roster. Twins management flatly said they needed to upgrade the offense the entire offseason, and then settled for giving spots to at least 2 guys who may be entirely washed up. And I think it's totally right what Seth said about the suspect areas of Solarte's talents in the field that might have given the Twins pause on choosing to protect him after 2011, but if Seth really rated him 6th best and above Arcia and Parmelee, well....ouch! I'm not sure who they chose to protect that year, instead, it certainly didn't need to be Dozier, only 3 years with the Twins farm system.

But in the end, the promotion of someone as obscure as Solarte to the Yankees major league roster, says just as much, or more, about their own current situation.

Oh how fickle it is to be a prospect
http://mlb.mlb.com/m...ts/watch/y2011/

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yup, I questioned it at the time, but the Twins proved correct in not adding him based on how much he's done in those three years since he left the organization.

Those numbers that year were great, no question.

Oh, and Arcia had only played in the GCL at that time, so I don't feel too bad about that ranking.

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

http://bronxbaseball...Baseball Daily)

Apparently, Eduardo Nunez didn't take the idea of demotion from the Yankees too well, especially in favor of the likes of Solarte. The two sides have unexpectedly up and parted ways.

If the Twins are looking for a fiery clubhouse presence from a MI UTIL with a decent bat and mediocre glove, but definitely with something to prove, is this the right time to put a claim in on the 26 year old Nunez?

Edited by jokin, 01 April 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

If the Twins are looking for a fiery clubhouse presence from a MI UTIL witha decent bat and mediocre glove, but definitely with something to prove, is this the right time to put a claim in on the 26 year old Nunez?

Yesterday was the time to do that... A total no-brainer. Major improvement over Florimon and I am not even going to talk about Bartlett here.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Per ESPN:
[h=2]Solarte's 3 hits lead Yankees over Astros[/h]Kelly Johnson must be looking over his shoulder, as Yangervis Solarte goes 3 for 3, reaching base 4 times with a base on balls and including a double for one of his 3 hits. Solarte was playing at Third Base in his first major league start. Solarte scored 2 runs and drove in another, batting in the 9 spot.

Despite reports to the contrary, Solarte continued his strong defensive play from Spring Training that had Manager Joe Girardi raving, snaring a bullet down the line off the bat of Jose Altuve, putting an end to an Astros rally attempt in the 8th inning. Solarte and Ichiro combined for 5 of the 7 Yankees hits in leading the Yankees to their first victory of the season, 4-2 over the Astros. (Alex Presley was 1 for 4 in his 2nd game for Houston).

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=340403118

Edited by jokin, 03 April 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

I tweeted the 3-3 day for Solarte... and my friend Cory Hepola (who works for CSN Houston) responded to me with the following:

[COLOR=#292F33][FONT=Arial]re: Solarte... his 2B should've been caught: Grossman ran it down but missed it... & his final 1B was a misplayed popup at mound[/FONT][/COLOR]

Oh well, they all count.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

I tweeted the 3-3 day for Solarte... and my friend Cory Hepola (who works for CSN Houston) responded to me with the following:

Oh well, they all count.

Did he make an excuse for his defensive gem at 3B?

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

[SIZE=4]

Yankees 7, Blue Jays 3: Masahiro Tanaka, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Yangervis Solarte shine in Tanaka's debut[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]"While Tanaka lived up to expectations by going 7 strong innings, the stars of the show on offense were undoubtedly Jacoby Ellsbury and Yangervis Solarte[/SIZE]- [SIZE=3]who cracked 2 doubles in his 2nd consecutive start.[/SIZE]"

"Mark Teixeira went down with a hamstring injury that won't be tested until Monday. That almost certainly means that Johnson will be playing first for the remainder of the series. Can't complain about that too much, as Solarte has more than earned more playing time."

http://www.pinstripe...teixeira-injury

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

Did he make an excuse for his defensive gem at 3B?

So yeah, it was a line drive hit right at him, about chest high. Not sure I'd put that in the top ten web gems. Also if you want to call the leadoff guy in the eighth a "rally" be my guest :)

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

I blogged about Yangervis last year, comparing the potential of he and Dozier. Dozier seems to have come through, but not keeping Solarte around was dumb. I still think he could be a good semi-regular utility player.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

The only unfortunate thing about losing Yangervis Alfredo Solarte is that his name is cool. These regrets about losing him will seem as silly as last year's 'Eduardo Escobar should be starting at SS because he's a couple years younger and has more upside' arguments.

#21 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

Is this going to be like the thread for the guy now playing for the Jacksonville Sun(AA)?

#22 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

SHOULDA
WOULDA
COULDA

You guys are masochists.

I regret Ortiz, buit that's about it.

Cant regret Ortiz, as he never woulda, shoulda, coulda, if he stayed here. All teams passed on him, but he never woulda become Big Papi here.

#23 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Is this going to be like the thread for the guy now playing for the Jacksonville Sun(AA)?

We can talk about him when he makes the Yankees, too.

Or maybe Shane might want to do daily updates for Jacksonville's own "Joltin" Joe in a new thread? :P

BTW, in a continuation of one of the most unlikely stories of the year, Solarte is quickly gaining a cult following in New York***, as he started his 3rd straight game for the Yanks today at 3rd, reaching base 3 times in 4 ABs while going 2 for 3. The manager seems sheepishly gratified that he is actually being asked questions about a player even he hadn't heard of until Spring Training and that his team is starting 2 career minor leaguers in the same infield alongside future of Hall of Famer Derek Jeter and all of the high priced off season acquisitions.

***http://www.forums.ml...KEES&tid=533194

Well, Solarte earned another start or ten

"No doubt he's as hot as a pistol right now, will it continue, no one knows, but I'm betting he's going to get a chance to show us... I just love the attitude he has, nothing bothers him, Cool as the other side of your pillow..."

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

The only unfortunate thing about losing Yangervis Alfredo Solarte is that his name is cool. These regrets about losing him will seem as silly as last year's 'Eduardo Escobar should be starting at SS because he's a couple years younger and has more upside' arguments.

Yeah, just as silly, because Eddie had a AA year at the plate like Solarte had...oh wait...he didn't. But as I said, I'm thinking Solarte starting for the Yankees in 2014 says more about them than about the Twins not putting him on the 40 man roster in 2012

But yeah, we lost Yangervis Solarte and have to move on from that awesome name uniqueness, but the future is bright, as we still have Amaurys Minier and Engelb Vielma

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

..... he never woulda become Big Papi here.

Big Papi would be the first to agree with you on your premise.

#26 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hell, guess who else plays for Jacksonville . . . Nick Wittgren!

Be careful what you wish for, Jokin. Be careful what you wish for.

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

Cant regret Ortiz, as he never woulda, shoulda, coulda, if he stayed here. All teams passed on him, but he never woulda become Big Papi here.

I've heard this assertion before. Other than the nickname, why wouldn't he have been a great hitter here?

#28 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

I've heard this assertion before. Other than the nickname, why wouldn't he have been a great hitter here?

That little RF in Fenway is nice like that. Still doesn't mean he couldn't have been pretty great, I suppose. Potentially some managerial issues as well?

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

[quote name='Shane Wahl']That little RF in Fenway is nice like that. Still doesn't mean he couldn't have been pretty great, I suppose. Potentially some managerial issues as well?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='USAFChief']I've heard this assertion before. Other than the nickname, why wouldn't he have been a great hitter here?[/QUOTE]

Through 6 years up and down with the Twins and through 2 managers- to paraphrase an iconic movie- "what we (apparently) had there was failure to communitcate". The Twins apparently never felt that Ortiz was able to "get the basics down"[COLOR=#ff0000]*** [/COLOR]before they were willing to consider him a "solid major leaguer", even as he was having a breakout year in 2002. Furthermore, they compounded their mis-assessment of Ortiz, clearly on the way up in his career, but also LeCroix (despite being the same age as Ortiz) who had done little to that point for the Twins, peaked in 2003 and quickly was on a career-ending crash-and-burn spiral.

[QUOTE]Ortiz loved Minnesota when he was here. And he was the most popular guy in the clubhouse. The fans loved him, too, but Ortiz didn't like what the Twins tried to do to him as a hitter. Or at least what he thought the Twins were trying to do to him as a hitter.

Years ago, I talked with him...about the subject. He was on his way to winning a World Series with Boston at the time, but a dark cloud came over him as soon as the topic arose.

"I always hit a lot of home runs when I was coming up," he said. "I'd take a big swing and my first manager would be screaming at me: 'Hey, hey, hey, what are you doing?'
Are you kidding me? You want me to swing like a little girl? I'll swing like a little girl."

Ortiz's first manager was Tom Kelly, who has always explained that the Twins were trying to develop Ortiz into a solid major league hitter first.

[COLOR=#ff0000]***[/COLOR]The implication was that Ortiz would be able to swing a bit more freely after he got the basics down. But Ortiz, a big guy, felt restricted.

"My first exhibition game here (with Boston), I came up with a runner on second and no outs," Ortiz said during that same interview. "I'm thinking, 'I've got to get the runner over.' "
Ortiz took a make-contact swing. When he returned to the Red Sox dugout, then-manager Grady Little was waiting for him.
"Grady said, 'This is not the Twins. You've got to bring that guy in,' '' Ortiz said. "OK, looks like I got a green light."

[/QUOTE]
http://www.twincitie...ars-david-ortiz

Communication is a 2 way street, I think Ortiz had likely reached an impasse in this regard with the field manager- he was going to be a Dominican "Cool Hand Luke"- come hell or high water, making Terry Ryan's decision to release him a fairly easy one.

#30 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, just as silly, because Eddie had a AA year at the plate like Solarte had...oh wait...he didn't. But as I said, I'm thinking Solarte starting for the Yankees in 2014 says more about them than about the Twins not putting him on the 40 man roster in 2012

But yeah, we lost Yangervis Solarte and have to move on from that awesome name uniqueness, but the future is bright, as we still have Amaurys Minier and Engelb Vielma

No, it's because both of those guys are utility players. Solarte hit better but most say that his defense is pretty bad anywhere that he plays. If Solarte could be projected to be a startable player then this second guessing would be warranted. Solarte mania will die down in a month when he is back on the bench and his numbers look like a utility player.