Thread: Starting Pitching Ranks

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Starting Pitching Ranks

Here's my thought on the ranks of the current Twins starting pitchers on the 40 man roster:
    1 Nolasco
    2 Hughes
    3 Pelfrey
    4 Correia
    5 Deduno*
    6 Gibson
    7 Worley
    8 Diamond
    9 Albers
    10 Swarzak
    11 Duensing
    12 Pressly
    13 May
    14 Johnson
    (Alex Meyer isn't on the 40 man)

About #4 Correia... I have a feeling that the Twins are ready to ship him off. Alex Meyer could definitely advance quickly and reach the majors this year, so room must be made. If Correia pitches well, I think he'll be traded in June.
    *#5 Deduno... if he's healthy, he needs to start. I have no idea if he's healthy enough to throw though...
    #7-8 I rank Worley higher just because he's younger. Both are not going to contribute anything unless they have incredible comeback seasons, which is why Kyle Gibson is ranked higher than them.
    #10-11 Twins... Do NOT start Swarzak or Duensing unless 5 of the 9 guys ahead of them on the list are traded or on the DL. They are bad starters and need to keep their roles in the bullpen.
    #12 Pressly: I have a bad feeling that the Twins are going to try and convert Pressly to a starter and have him play in AAA. I think he's at his best in the bullpen. Please keep him there.

Any thoughts or comments?

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Albers and Diamond are way too high and Johnson too low. TR clearly said that Johnson has better stuff than Diamond when he brought him on board. You also need to add Logan Darnell. I'd also rank Gibson behind the guys with no options, just because of that reason. Pressly will have to spend a full season in the minors to stretch out to be a starter.

The fun part of this, is that this takes care of both the Twins and Rochester rotations (and you need to add Meyer and Dean and Vasquez to Rochester.) Methinks that not all of these guys you list will be with the organization come April Fools'
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Is Gilmartin on the 40 man? I'm too lazy to look but he should slot in around #9.

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Is Gilmartin on the 40 man? I'm too lazy to look but he should slot in around #9.
    Gilmartin is not on the 40-man.
    @Thrylos
    I'm baffled why TR would think Johnson has anything but OK... I probably did put Gibson too high. I don't really know anything about Darnell so you can pencil him above May.