Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crickets chirping

Crickets chirping

For all Ryan's bold talk, if the offseason ended today I'd consider it a disappointment. They've signed some pitchers, but the payroll hasn't gone up. As the payroll stands now, it will be well below their 50-52%. This offense as it stands now will still challenge all-time futility records. Its that bad.

They have ONE proven hitter. ONE. Two if you count Willy, but he was brutal last year. Why not sign a professonal hitter? Why not go all in on Morales? Who on earth cares about the draft pick? Apathy has set in for so many Twins fans. Nolasco, Hughes, and Pelfrey aren't enough to cure it. For goodness sake, throw us some crumbs. Do something. Overpay if you must. The money is there. They can spend it, or they can pocket it.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem that I'm seeing with that is so few players I would want them to sign...the one or two I've heard argued for have equally been argued against by the fans. No the off season will be a success even if nothing else happens but I sure hope they find a way to make a trade or two to improve.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, it's certainly exceeded my expectations. I went on record as saying I didn't think payroll would exceed 80M and it has. I set the over-under on free agent pitching salaries for next year at $12M and they have spend $24M. Maybe my expectations were low, but they've exceeded them.

I'd still applaud signing Stephen Drew or one of the top flight (better than Arroyo) pitchers, but I'm a lot more optimistic about this team than I was 3 months ago either way.

4. These 4 users like John Bonnes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

North Dakota Twins Fan (01-14-2014), Oldgoat_MN (01-13-2014), shs_59 (01-15-2014), snepp (01-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have the opposite view, they have already beat my meager expectations coming into the offseason. We actually have a credible (not great) starting staff now. The offense still looks troublesome, but I can wait for the youngsters to get up with the big club.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They greatly surpassed my expectations in December. Now that we've seen no action since that point, my excitement has dwindled a bit. Overall, the team has exceeded my expectations.

I don't mind that they've been idle for the past month. This offseason has been pretty odd with so much stalling as everyone seems to wait on Tanaka.

If the offseason ended today, I'd be positive about it but I won't be truly excited unless they pick up a bat before the end of February. Ryan did a great job with the pitching staff but the offense still needs help.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that they will do something, but I just don't see how they can fit Morales to the gluttony of no-field players they got (Willingham, Arcia, Kubel, Parmelee, Colabello).
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morales from Seattle would be a horrible signing at the cost of a draft pick. Drew would be better, we would at least get some defense from him. And he would be much cheaper.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins will be shedding some of the good hit no field players later in spring training if not sooner. Too many factors are in play now to bring in more possible DH types as that is where the Twins are hoping Willingham ends up along with some of Kubel(if he makes the club, Parmelee if he does not). Twins are stilling leaving room in case 1 or 2 of Hicks, Sano or a couple of others surprise in spring training. Plouffe will probably by the end of the year transition to the DH part time player or platoon player. Extra players will not help this issue. We all are disappointed, but this makes sense.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    I do not see a lot of valuable hitters on the FA market still available. Would a trade for a buy-low candidate like Matt Kemp be an option? Dodgers eat 1/4 of his salary and we give him a #6-10 prospect, like Rosario, Kepler or even a pitcher like Berrios with some other low minor fillers. It would be nice to have a real MLB bat in the lineup that is still in their prime.

11. This user likes Siehbiscuit's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    The Twins have signed three free agent pitchers and reportedly still have interest in others. The offense hasn't seen much movement outside of Suzuki and Kubel but the offense is where the prospect reinforcements will come from. There's just not a lot out there. I don't want the soon to be albatross contracts of Boras' decline phase/platoon players Morales and Drew. They're still being connected to Mark Reynolds though and there's plenty of time for trades.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    I do not see a lot of valuable hitters on the FA market still available. Would a trade for a buy-low candidate like Matt Kemp be an option? Dodgers eat 1/4 of his salary and we give him a #6-10 prospect, like Rosario, Kepler or even a pitcher like Berrios with some other low minor fillers. It would be nice to have a real MLB bat in the lineup that is still in their prime.
    Matt Kemp would require a Buxton/Sano type in return if the Dodgers ate part of his contract. As recently as 2012, he posted a 147 OPS+.

And money doesn't really appear to be a problem for the Dodgers so I doubt they're all that eager to unload Kemp's contract right now.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    They have both exceeded my expectations and left me disappointed.

They spent more than I thought they would, but still look like a 90 loss team with lots of money left in their pocket.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

15. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-15-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    The day they signed Nolasco is when they exceeded my expectations, when they signed Hughes I became downright greedy and now want more.

Expect? No, want? Yes.

17. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-13-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

They spent more than I thought they would, but still look like a 90 loss team with lots of money left in their pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. They exceeded my expectations partially because they were so low and they still have a lot of holes.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I expect them to do at least one more signing before spring training. While I'm disappointed they haven't yet, i understand what's holding things up. In the case of pitchers, it's the Tanaka signing, which will set the market for guys like Garza. In the case of position players, it's the agent, who knows the value of his clients' contracts will only go up as we approach spring training. He's playing a game of chicken with the GMs interested in his players. And he will likely win. I am less optimistic on those guys simply because Ryan gets them only if Boras loses his game. It has happened (Kenny Rogers). But that is rare.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 1,263 Times in 732 Posts
    Glass Half Full.

Glass Half Empty.

BOTH.

21. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (01-15-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For my perspective this has been a very good off-season. Adding (and improving) the SP has been very welcomed. (Disclaimer: Yes we didn't land any aces, but compared to 2013 SP is/should be better.)

I am not of the mind that spending money b/c you have it equates to a successful off-season. If we were coming off a .500 or better season with a legitimate chance to win the division then I would be disappointed in not using any and all resources available.

Let's face it, we are still in the rebuilding stage, waiting for our prospects to arrive. Turning this ship around will take a bit more time (2014) and patience. There is a balance that needs to be struck for now and future considerations. 2015 and beyond transactions will be very critical to the Twins long-term success.

IMHO, outside of the pitching that was/is available there really aren't any position free agents I'm am coveting now. While Drew is intriguing there is the argument that the round 2 draft choice could lead to future trade opportunities. Just a thought.

Patience is a virtue but action alone can be debilitating.

23. These 4 users like brvama's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (01-13-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-14-2014), goulik (01-14-2014), Oldgoat_MN (01-13-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    I don't expect anything else and, for me, that's ok. This team might still be a 90 or so loss team even if they sign Drew. (I'd still like to see them do it, but just being realistic about the impact)

It's been great to see them go outside their own comfort zone to address one part of the team's recent failures. That alone exceeded the threshold I was hoping for.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    It has been crickets everywhere the past month or so in the FA market. The entire SP market is being held up by Tanaka, and to a lesser extend the hitting market as well. The minute he signs the 5-6 legit contending teams that didn't land him will go after the next best SP's and the bats that cost 45 mil+

26. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

North Dakota Twins Fan (01-14-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
    True, very little(if any) help for the offense. But take a look at the free agent list for this year. When guys like Salty and Drew are ranked among the top 10-20 position players you know there isn't much out there. There was no way the Twins were getting an Ellsbury, Cano, etc type player. Spending money just for the sake of spending money(even if it isn't mine) doesn't make sense. Assuming the Twins would have to offer significantly more than other teams to sign a free agent since they are a bottom feeder currently, who would you have pushed for? People are talking about $10 million a year plus a draft pick for Drew. For 32 more points of batting average and 4 more homers than Florimon? I'll pass. Same goes for any thought about adding Mark Reynolds. How is he an upgrade over Plouffe? Can't play defense, strikes out more, and hits for a lower average.

Maybe after the pitching market sorts itself Ryan can swing some sort of deal for a position player by dealing from the 'surplus' of starters or prospects. But at this point I think what you see is what you're going to get. And based on the price tags I'm seeing on the free agents that have signed so far, I don't fault the Twins for not going harder after any of these guys.

28. These 2 users like zwiefz's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (01-13-2014), cmathewson (01-15-2014)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast